EXP GDC Black Screen on RX 470

TraNe15

Hi guys,

So recently I bought Exp Gdc v8. I have an old HD 6870 which was lying around and I tried eGPU setup with that card and it worked. So then I bought an Saphirre Rx 470 Platinum and tried it with the same method however my laptop stuck at black screen. So I cannot use bios or enter Setup 1.30. Btw my laptop is MSI GE60 0ND. So what might be the problem? Maybe the card is too new for EXP GDC? I don't know...

3 hours ago, Tesla said:

probably a driver issue, try to fully uninstall old drivers and give it a try.

Bu it doesn't even reach the driver part which is inside windows. I can't even see the "f12 for Bios" or sth. It's like laptops ignores to open. Do you really think that it might be a driver issue?

well, I think on most laptops if not all, if you connect an eGPU, you wouldn't see your screen until windows boots in. so it could be an old driver interfering with it. I'm not sure. but thats usually the case.

Edited by Tesla

It's because the bios has no idea what to do with your egpu, so don't let the bios see it. There are a couple of workaround for that problem

- Use the CTD/PTD delay switch on the adapter

- Sleep your computer, plug your egpu in, wake it then search for hardware changes

- Isolate PIN22 on the mpcie connector and set the delay to max

- Hotplugging

I'm also having the same problem with my Thinkpad E560 and R9 290.

There are quite a lot of people having the same problem in AMD's forum. Both desktop and laptop users alike. It is being investigated.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.