14" 8470P has larger chassis with better cooling system to deal with a i7-quad. It also has a 1600x900 LCD option. 12.5"2570P is a noticably smaller footprint.

You may want to also look at a 14" Dell E6430 which has a lot more performance customisation options via UEFI variables as explained on owner's thread on here.

All three use socketted 3rd gen i-core CPUs (Ivy Bridge).

• Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, Tech Inferno Fan said:

14" 8470P has larger chassis with better cooling system to deal with a i7-quad. It also has a 1600x900 LCD option. 12.5"2570P is a noticably smaller footprint.

You may want to also look at a 14" Dell E6430 which has a lot more performance customisation options via UEFI variables as explained on owner's thread on here.

All three use socketted 3rd gen i-core CPUs (Ivy Bridge).

Thanks ! I have read about the E6430, however I just can't stand its look :P.

@FFTHEGREAT  I currently have a 8470p I use daily I have to say I use to HATE HP stuff with a passion but whoever designed these ELITEBOOKS I love it!

Only cons are No backlit keyboard, small screen res, bios whitelist, vent on right hand side. Pros style/design, expand ability, it stays ice cold unless taxing the hell out of the cpu (I did get the NON ATI version) OSx86 installs near perfect (this is why get the NON ATI unit if this interest you) now I do have the i5 version im sure the unit will get warm with the extra 10w if using an i7,but normal use my unit doesn't break 22C

Edited by all0w

13 minutes ago, all0w said:

@FFTHEGREAT  I currently have a 8470p I use daily I have to say I use to HATE HP stuff with a passion but whoever designed these ELITEBOOKS I love it!

Only cons are No backlit keyboard, small screen res, bios whitelist, vent on right hand side

There is no WLAN whitelist on the Ivy Bridge Elitebooks. There is however a WWAN whitelist.

Topics covered in the 2570P Owner's thread. +1 for superior build of Elitebooks.

@FFTHEGREAT If it works 2570p I'd almost say yes just looking at the specs it should here's where HP CPU whitelist/microcode would come into play did they add this in a bios update ??  The Video and wattage matches up. Humm this CPU works in a 8470W but not listed for the 8470P (might need microcode bios mod) DAMN I like the dark grey 8470w but looks like an exact match internally 8470w has GPU so I just want the casing with a 8470p inside haha

If you dont mind me asking that's a pretty beefy cpu what did you need all the horsepower for?

Im currently using a i5-3210M with a dual drive setup (replace ODD with 2nd SSD) 16gb (this is the max as far as I know of for this model DDR3 2x16gb ram not sure anyone has tested it or if there is such a thing for DDR3) and I run vmware workstation with about 6 guest works fine unless 3 or more guest are taxing the cpu at the same time. i7-3840qm would be insane I'd def pass on the ATI model then since the GPU and CPU share/inline heatsink.

Edited by all0w
update

18 minutes ago, all0w said:

@FFTHEGREAT If it works 2570p I'd almost say yes just looking at the specs it should here's where HP CPU whitelist/microcode would come into play did they add this in a bios update ??  The Video and wattage matches up. Humm this CPU works in a 8470W but not listed for the 8470P (might need microcode bios mod) DAMN I like the dark grey 8470w but looks like an exact match internally 8470w has GPU so I just want the casing with a 8470p inside haha

If you dont mind me asking that's a pretty beefy cpu what did you need all the horsepower for?

Im currently using a i5-3210M with a dual drive setup (replace ODD with 2nd SSD) 16gb (this is the max as far as I know of for this model DDR3 2x16gb ram not sure anyone has tested it or if there is such a thing for DDR3) and I run vmware workstation with about 6 guest works fine unless 3 or more guest are taxing the cpu at the same time. i7-3840qm would be insane I'd def pass on the ATI model then since the GPU and CPU share/inline heatsink.

I am just looking to buy a laptop that will last me as long as possible without becoming obsolete in the upcoming years :)

@FFTHEGREAT yea I feel the same way I prefer to stretch it out as long as I can :rofl: or if I find something better (but for now with a 9cell and extended battery) nothing can touch it I get an easy 10hr heavy use on the road.

I'll be doing my own mods for this unit coming up take a look at the i7-3632qm doesnt have the speed of the i7 you picked but it's only 35w vs 45w quad core fun. No doubt I'll have to add the microcode to the bios (HP and RSA dont get me started).

Also thinking of maybe doing docking station mod I'd rather a simple drop in and go approach instead of the akitio first I need to get my hands on a full size dock and tear it down I'll have to look on here if anyone has done anything with the docks first I guess. :P

2 hours ago, ۩۞۩ FFTHEGREAT ۩۞۩ said:

I just got an E6430 off of Ebay for 350. It comes with i7 3740qm so I think it is quite a good deal :D

Great deal and best choice out of 8470P, 2570P and E6430 imho. E6430 allows UEFI vars to be configured where you'll be able to unlock the extra +400Mhz turbo bins. Also has the backlit keyboard option and is the most eGPU friendly of the three.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Tech Inferno Fan said:

Great deal and best choice out of 8470P, 2570P and E6430 imho. E6430 allows UEFI vars to be configured where you'll be able to unlock the extra +400Mhz turbo bins. Also has the backlit keyboard option and is the most eGPU friendly of the three.

Yeah, I got it with 8gb RAM, HD+ screen and backlit keyboard too. The cpu itself is around 130 bucks so I am thrilled about this purchase. Probably gonna swap out the RAM since it only runs at 1333mhz.