2015 11" MBA + RX480@16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + OSX10.12 [ongnoi]

From http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/amd-rx-480-egpu-in-macos-akitio-thunder2.1988609/

Due to the shorter board, the RX 480 without its reference cooler fits inside the AKiTiO like a glove. I'm currently hooking it up to a lowly 11" MBA lol. The Luxmark score is slightly higher than inside my mac pro thanks to the additional help of Intel HD 6000. :D
Screen Shot 2016-08-17 at 9.36.53 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-08-17 at 9.41.32 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-08-17 at 9.46.57 PM.png

IMG_1709.JPG

IMG_9268.JPG

IMG_0801.JPG

IMG_4023.JPG

• Thumbs Up 2

I wonder if this also works under Windows. But this is great news for my AMD based eGPU plans! I hope it will also play nicely if a laptop is already equipped with the AMD M370X, I don't want it on the internal screen, but would love to power the external screen with an AMD RX480.

On 20 August 2016 at 1:31 PM, FricoRico said:

I wonder if this also works under Windows. But this is great news for my AMD based eGPU plans! I hope it will also play nicely if a laptop is already equipped with the AMD M370X, I don't want it on the internal screen, but would love to power the external screen with an AMD RX480.

Possible with the help of my EFI app, not fully automated yet ;)

AMD_XConnect.png

I went the same route and bought my first eGPU today based on the XFX AMD RX 480 XXX OC edition. Putting it together as I'm writing this. Hoping for an easy install!

What is this 'EFI app' you are talking about?

Edited by FricoRico

Yes, these are known issues. The EFI demo works with an Nvidia card.

AMD7000Controller.kext conflicts with the eGPU’s AMD9500Controller.kext and therefore the latter refuses to load. You can check this by kextstat command. There is a partial workaround:

RX_480.png

5 hours ago, FricoRico said:

@goalqueUsing your efi bootloader to disable the dGPU and enabling warm-boot enables me to load Windows whilst detecting the RX 480. Sadly Windows somehow reports the device to have 'too little resources'. Any clue what it might mean by that?

You can try the steps at https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/5874-guide-dsdt-override-to-fix-error-12/ to resolve error 12.

Otherwise if have a MBR installation of Windows can use https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/1650-diy-egpu-setup-130-previously-setup-1x/

6 hours ago, goalque said:

Yes, these are known issues. The EFI demo works with an Nvidia card.

AMD7000Controller.kext conflicts with the eGPU’s AMD9500Controller.kext and therefore the latter refuses to load. You can check this by kextstat command. There is a partial workaround:

RX_480.png

That is somewhat great news! Where can I find out more about this workaround? Bu the way, I thought that the RX480 used  AMDRadeonX4000.kext? Does it need both the AMDRadeonX4000.kext and the AMD9500Controller.kext?

Thanks for helping out!

6 hours ago, Tech Inferno Fan said:

Yesterday night I tried fixing the error by following this guide. I was unsuccessful but hopefully I can make another attempt that fixes it.

Thanks for helping!

Edited by FricoRico

2 hours ago, FricoRico said:

That is somewhat great news! Where can I find out more about this workaround? Bu the way, I thought that the RX480 used  AMDRadeonX4000.kext? Does it need both the AMDRadeonX4000.kext and the AMD9500Controller.kext?

From me, but at present I can’t reveal. Both kexts are needed.

3 hours ago, FricoRico said:

Yesterday night I tried fixing the error by following this guide. I was unsuccessful but hopefully I can make another attempt that fixes it.

Try manually disabling and uninstalling the Iris Pro in device manager, then keep looping with warm-boot & disable dGPU options, with an eGPU monitor plugged in. Hold down the Option key between restarts and choose “EFI Boot”, it may work. The problem is that my app tries to keep Iris Pro enabled, but you can’t install the latest drivers from AMD if the iGPU is also active. I’m not sure how well the RX 480 is supported by Windows 10 built-in drivers.

If you want the internal screen as well, you can try DSDT override approach as @Tech Inferno Fan suggested.

11 minutes ago, goalque said:

From me, but at present I can’t reveal. Both kexts are needed.

Try manually disabling and uninstalling the Iris Pro in device manager, then keep looping with warm-boot & disable dGPU options, with an eGPU monitor plugged in. Hold down the Option key between restarts and choose “EFI Boot”, it may work. The problem is that my app tries to keep Iris Pro enabled, but you can’t install the latest drivers from AMD if the iGPU is also active. I’m not sure how well the RX 480 is supported by Windows 10 built-in drivers.

If you want the internal screen as well, you can try DSDT override approach as @Tech Inferno Fan suggested.

Aww it's really a shame you can't reveal that. Why can't you reveal it? Might I be so bold to ask you for it through a PM?

35 minutes ago, FricoRico said:

Aww it's really a shame you can't reveal that. Why can't you reveal it? Might I be so bold to ask you for it through a PM?

The script provides only experimental support, macOS Sierra is still beta and I want to avoid public discussion due to the beta software agreement.

• 1 month later...