MattGarlandUK

2015 15" MBP M370x + GTX1070@16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + Win10 [MattGarlandUK]

THANKS TO ENCOURAGING GUIDES ON THIS SITE, I HAVE MANAGED TO GET MY EGPU SETUP WORKING 

Macbook Pro Retina 15” Mid 2015 

AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2048 MB

2.8 GHz i7, 16GB RAM

Windows 10 64bit ( bootcamp )

OSX Sierra

Enclosure:

AKiTiO Thunder2

Graphics card:

EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB GDDR5 Memory PCI Express 3 Graphics Card

Power supply:

EVGA 100-W1-0500-KR - 500W 80 Plus Power Supply (100-W1-0500-KR)

Connections:

Molex to barrel adapter to connect PSU to GPU and enclosure

GPU powered by the PSU directly

HDMI cable to connect GPU to monitor

Thunderbolt cable to connect Thunder2 to Macbook

PSU powered on using the 'paper clip technique'

Monitor:

Dell U2715H 27-Inch Widescreen IPS LED Monitor

Info and guides:

https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/7947-the-basic-egpu-hardware-guide-for-macs/#comment-118751

Process:

Power on and connect the GPU, check that the Nvidia is showing up in the device manager

Install Nvidia drivers

Disable discrete AMD GPU in the device manager and shut down

Boot back up into Windows10 and BOOM, Windows10 should now be using the GPU.

Results:

I can reliably get the eGPU to work every time and have experienced NO CRASHES!  I still play games using the AMD when I'm not at my desk, which just requires re-enabling the AMD.  Sometimes switching the AMD on and off can cause the device manager to hang, but restarting Windows 10 sorts this out so I've not had any problems using the system both ways.

Games Performance:

Doom - 1440p max settings - 60pfs ( WOW!!! )

Deus Ex Mankind Divided - 1440p max settings - 30-45 fps

Just Cause 3 - 1440p max settings - 30-45 fps

Star Wars Battlefront - 1440p max settings - 30-45 fps

Overwatch - 1440p max settings - 60fps

Getting Windows10 to select the eGPU as the primary display device:

As far as I can tell, all that is required to get the GPU to power the external display is to disable the discrete graphics chip (AMD R9 M370X) via the device manager in Windows10.  

In my experience, provided the eGPU is connected, disabling the AMD R9 will automatically cause the OS to switch to the eGPU.  Although a couple of times when I've done this without restarting, the AMD has switched itself back on!

Provided the eGPU is connected and powered on, and the AMD is disabled, booting into Windows 10 will automatically select the eGPU and you're away!  

IMG_2289.jpg

IMG_2446.jpg

Edited by MattGarlandUK
update

Hey, I'm gepsannt how you manage under Win10. I use the same hardware including the EVGA GPU + AKiTiO2 combination with another power supply. From the housing I cut nothing.

The 1060 is recognized with me under Win10 but unfortunately I get it not to start (on an external TV / monitor) although I can install Nvidia drivers.

I hope you come soon with updates)

Edited by Himmellaeufer

Hey there.  I think all you need to do is disable your discrete graphics chip ( the AMD ) via the device manager.

Hi, can help me T-T

Today, I received every component I bought from eBay and tried to set up my eGPU. I intended to power the Akitio and graphic card using the Dell DA-2. However, I didn't realize the barrel plug was not compatible and I pushed it so hard that the central part of the connector broke as the photo showing. Is there another way to power my Akitio?

IMG_0797.JPG

Edited by 1366921

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By aBug
      Hello Everyone!

I have problem with VBIOS/EEPROM(?) after installing of a GTX1060 N17E-G1-A1 GPU NVIDIA Graphics Chipset (old one has temp. damages). 

I  modified new 416  and old 391 nvmii.inf file and try to install drivers, but every combination gave me no success. There is only yellow triangle in  Windows Device Manager :|
      Is there a way to bring my card to life?

• By Ehm-Oh-Tea
      As the title says; is it possible to upgrade the old MSI 16f2 with any pascal card?

Or is the 980M the highest possible?

Looking forward to your answers. Thanks
    • By TechAce
      Hello, I need help trying to put my setup to work. I recently purchased an Akitio Thunder 2 with a GTX 1050 ti Superclocked to implement it as an eGPU for my system. I have a Macbook Pro 15” mid 2012. I’m not interested in using it with OS X (I’ve read that there is not much support by Apple for Nvidia cards Series 10). My main goal is to use it using Windows 8.1. I had some trouble with the initial connection as Windows recognized the external card but it gave me error code 12. I already got rid of the error 12 problem. The situation now is that I connected a second display through the HDMI port of the eGPU and activated it using the Nvidia Control Panel. After a restart I choose to boot windows 8.1 again but the two displays get hanged with black screens and I only see the cursor. Anybody has had this problem and was able to fix it?

I did some further testing, decided to boot up with the eGPU connected but without the HDMI cable plugged. I was able to log in to Windows and the eGPU got recognized in device manager, but then I connected the HDMI cable and for one second I saw my Macbook screen displayed in the external monitor, then both screens hanged again with black screens only showing the cursor. I’m exhausted of experimenting and seeing no positive results...

My goal is to be able to use the eGPU with the internal monitor of the Macbook (if that is possible with my system). If not, I would like to know how I can set it to work with a second display. I will be very grateful if somebody can help me... Sorry for the long post.

• By baddea
      I want to know if i can using external gpu RX 480 GPU with windows laptop ASUS G751JT that have dgpu

i need to using interal gpu  in my linux arch and second gpu to using with windows 10

please i need answers

• By newbinkin77
      Hi guys. 

As with the title, is there any way to get a m17x r3 to use UEFI or is this just a pipe dream? I read over the internet that this requires Dell company itself to refactor the BIOS and release it to the public. Well if that's the case many believe it would be easier to land a man on Mars then to get Dell's help on this issue. Does the hardware itself plays a roll in updating to UEFI ? Well if the motherboard itself doesn't support UEFI and its more of a hardware limitation rather than a software, please let me know and I'll let this dream go, once and for all. Well if not, does anyone else knows of any other way to get a m17x r3 to UEFI-capable ? Imagine fast-booting into win10 and more importantly, a chance to get a 980M working in a m17x r3. (from my understanding 880M is as far as the m17x r3 can go as the 980M requires UEFI-capabilities)

I know my laptop is approaching 7 years old and by now most m17xr3 are phrased out but i still believe there are some owners out there still kicking about with their madly modded-out r3s (like me).

Thanks for the read

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.