P650SG CPU Fan problem, sudden speed drop to 0 rpm

lmybobbob

Update 1 (Sept 19, 2016) : I have fixed my CPU fan issue, I have copied the post about it in the main thread, but do read the posts, a lot of gem in there.

EDIT: My GPU fans work perfectly, and never had speed dip or slow ramp up. It keeps the gpu under 75C all time, and under 90C with +250 +300 OC.

Hi all,

I have a P650SG (Eurocom), and I have been having this weird CPU Fan problem for a long time...

The CPU Fan would suddenly stop for no apparent reason (i can hear the fan just suddenly went silent), and it will take around 1-2 second to restart and ramp up to top speed really slow...

Also it react to the temp change really really slow... the CPU would jump to 97 degree and throttle, then the fan speed will slowly increase....

Here is the Idle and Load test graph:

Idle:

Idle P650SG.png

Load:

Load P650SG.png

In the graph you can see the CPU fan ramp up rather slow, and it have a 4000->0rpm dip when I switched fan profile in Clover Control Center, and a 4000->1000rpm dip when I stopped the benchmark...(it shows dip to 1000rpm, but i think it dipped to 0rpm from what the fan sounds like)

I have tried different BIOS and EC, 1.03.04 to 1.05.01,  non helped. Right now I'm on Premamod v2, it is not improved.

This is really bizarre to me... I don't know what is causing this problem, I did an RMA with eurocom but their inspection shows no problem with the cpu fan... Is the cpu fan failing? or is the power delivery failing? PWM failing? I have no clue now...

Please someone point me to the right direction...

Thanks.

UPDATE1: I have fixed this problem. Just an update in case anyone else have the same problem in the future, this CPU fan problem is because my CPU fan is failing, and also the cooling module is not that good. This is actually quite common, Clevo have a new version of CPU cooling module in P651SG.

651sg cooling module.jpg

I bought the newest version of CPU cooling module for P651SG on taobao, changed it on with the 5583 thermal paste(this thing is so much better than my Arctic Silver 5 or MX4), and the problem is gone. The new fan even sounds less aggressive at 100% fan speed.

Temp has been very good, stay below 85.

I also bought the custom cooling pipe that connect CPU heatsink to GPU heatsink, it is said to lower CPU temps more since the GPU fan will help a little. I didn't bother putting it on since temp is very much improved already. I bought the CPU cooling module for about 40 USD, and the heatpipe 10 bucks, way lower than the quoted price of around 50 CAD for only the fan + 30 bucks shipping I did a couple weeks ago with eurocom.

BTW some pic after I changed the CPu cooling module, broken case corner, and applied vinyl skin.

20160912_183102308_iOS.png20160912_144803414_iOS.png

Edited by lmybobbob

6 hours ago, tyraek said:

Hello, 

Have you tried with other softwares? HWMonitor for example. 

If it gives you the same results you can try to check if the thermal paste is applied correctly. 

Hi Thanks for the reply.

I have tried AIDA HWMonitor and other benmark/sensor software, the behaviour is all the same, fan speed dips to 0 and ramp up again when the cpu load suddenly decrease. 

I have also reapplied thermal paste multiple times (MX-4, IC-Diamond), and it helps with the temp a little bit, but definately doesn't change CPU fan behaviour... I have built multiple PC and applied thermal paste to multiple laptops before, definately no problem with the thermal paste.

Here is a video recording of the cpu fanhttps://1drv.ms/v/s!AgdnyvHS72IpioQcQlIqBqpxPlOL-g

In the video I was running the AIDA CPU stress test, u can hear CPU at 4k rpm, and when I stop the stress test, the CPU fan suddenly stopped, and then ramp up again...

You can hear the GPU fan when the CPU fan stopped for a second, GPU fan is running at 2k rpm because i put the laptop sideways so gpu is not getting proper cooling, doesn't have anything to do with cpu fan.

Wow that really is strange.. The only thing I can think of is if the temperature sensor fails for a second and the fan responds accordingly

Have you tried with a different OS? Might be some ACPI driver issue

• 1 month later...

I have fixed this problem. Just an update in case anyone else have the same problem in the future, this CPU fan problem is because my CPU fan is failing, and also the cooling module is not that good. This is actually quite common, Clevo have a new version of CPU cooling module in P651SG.

651sg cooling module.jpg

I bought the newest version of CPU cooling module for P651SG on taobao, changed it on with the 5583 thermal paste(this thing is so much better than my Arctic Silver 5 or MX4), and the problem is gone. The new fan even sounds less aggressive at 100% fan speed.

I also bought the custom cooling pipe that connect CPU heatsink to GPU heatsink, it is said to lower CPU temps more since the GPU fan will help a little. I didn't bother putting it on since temp is very much improved already. I bought the CPU cooling module for about 40 USD, and the heatpipe 10 bucks, way lower than the quoted price of around 50 CAD for only the fan + 30 bucks shipping I did a couple weeks ago with eurocom.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, lmybobbob said:

I have fixed this problem. Just an update in case anyone else have the same problem in the future, this CPU fan problem is because my CPU fan is failing, and also the cooling module is not that good. This is actually quite common, Clevo have a new version of CPU cooling module in P651SG.

651sg cooling module.jpg

I also bought the custom cooling pipe that connect CPU heatsink to GPU heatsink, it is said to lower CPU temps more since the GPU fan will help a little. I didn't bother putting it on since temp is very much improved already. I bought the CPU cooling module for about 40 USD, and the heatpipe 10 bucks, way lower than the quoted price of around 50 CAD for only the fan + 30 bucks shipping I did a couple weeks ago with eurocom.

Very interesting. What was the Taobao link you purchased from? Would be useful for future reference.

14 minutes ago, octiceps said:

Very interesting. What was the Taobao link you purchased from? Would be useful for future reference.

Here is the one I bought from, I wasn't in China when I bought it so I ask my friend to go for the most expensive one:

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.18.NYErQQ&id=41804517721&ns=1&abbucket=18#detail

You can find other sellers that are around 10USD cheaper, there are a lot of this CPU modules for sale on taobao.

Make sure you ask for punching holes(打孔), cuz P650SG(4720HQ) has two capacitors in the way, which will be in contact with the thin cooper board with this new cpu cooling module. if you have a cutter or drill you can cut yourself.

I also bought the cooling pipe :

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=2013.1.20141001.1.jbC0mb&id=520714774399&scm=1007.10115.36023.100200300000000&pvid=767a5a67-73c9-42aa-a7e0-cb8b9960b78f&idnum=0

This one is not the usual Cooper heatpipe, it is actually alumium megnisum alloy thing with holes, I tried it out it is very very fast heat transfer.

I was seriously worried if my motherboard is broken or my fan controller is damaged... Too bad eurocom's RMA told me the fan runs just fine, thank god I bought the new fan just to give it last try, and it is indeed the fan failing.

Edited by lmybobbob
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, lmybobbob said:

Here is the one I bought from, I wasn't in China when I bought it so I ask my friend to go for the most expensive one:

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.18.NYErQQ&id=41804517721&ns=1&abbucket=18#detail

You can find other sellers that are around 10USD cheaper, there are a lot of this CPU modules for sale on taobao.

Make sure you ask for punching holes(打孔), cuz P650SG(4720HQ) has two capacitors in the way, which will be in contact with the thin cooper board with this new cpu cooling module. if you have a cutter or drill you can cut yourself.

I also bought the cooling pipe :

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=2013.1.20141001.1.jbC0mb&id=520714774399&scm=1007.10115.36023.100200300000000&pvid=767a5a67-73c9-42aa-a7e0-cb8b9960b78f&idnum=0

This one is not the usual Cooper heatpipe, it is actually alumium megnisum alloy thing with holes, I tried it out it is very very fast heat transfer.

I was seriously worried if my motherboard is broken or my fan controller is damaged... Too bad eurocom's RMA told me the fan runs just fine, thank god I bought the new fan just to give it last try, and it is indeed the fan failing.

Yeah I noticed the cutout on the copper for the capacitors. Also looks like an official part made at Foxconn. Thanks for the link. Looks cool (pun intended ;)). 

Although I wonder how the shared heatpipe works. Did you simply weld it between the CPU and GPU heatsinks?

Definitely might be interested in this cooling upgrade for my P650SG if I can get my EC modded to remove CPU throttling. Then I'll slap some CLU on it, use the microcode trick to unlock the multipliers, and hopefully OC to 4+ GHz. :D

4 hours ago, octiceps said:

Yeah I noticed the cutout on the copper for the capacitors. Also looks like an official part made at Foxconn. Thanks for the link. Looks cool (pun intended ;)). 

Although I wonder how the shared heatpipe works. Did you simply weld it between the CPU and GPU heatsinks?

Definitely might be interested in this cooling upgrade for my P650SG if I can get my EC modded to remove CPU throttling. Then I'll slap some CLU on it, use the microcode trick to unlock the multipliers, and hopefully OC to 4+ GHz. :D

Haha thx.

The heat pipe is kindda glued on, it said on the instruction to use the glue included, and use some weight on the pipe for sevral hours for it to dry up. It is said to be some good heat conductive glue. I can show some picture tmr. I didn't glue it on since temp has been ok. People reply saying the pipe help decrease around 5 degree, i didn't bother, just ordered the new X4E2 from eurocom, 6700k gtx1070 here i come.

Oh is there way to unlock the 4720HQ beyond 3.8? Seriously my 4729HQ runs at 2.6Ghz when playing game, and only 3Ghz with full CPU 8 thread load. With -70mv applied, it runs at 3.7 single core and 3.4 when 8 thread. I think it just ran into TDP limit abd can't even sustain it's boost clock, can this be actually fixed? Also the 180Watt power supply... Oh man how could that power a 6700HQ and 980m...? I think it is power limited big time...

Idk, this laptop feels really slow, i kindda give up on it and ordered the P750DM2-G...

2 hours ago, lmybobbob said:

Haha thx.

The heat pipe is kindda glued on, it said on the instruction to use the glue included, and use some weight on the pipe for sevral hours for it to dry up. It is said to be some good heat conductive glue. I can show some picture tmr. I didn't glue it on since temp has been ok. People reply saying the pipe help decrease around 5 degree, i didn't bother, just ordered the new X4E2 from eurocom, 6700k gtx1070 here i come.

Oh is there way to unlock the 4720HQ beyond 3.8? Seriously my 4729HQ runs at 2.6Ghz when playing game, and only 3Ghz with full CPU 8 thread load. With -70mv applied, it runs at 3.7 single core and 3.4 when 8 thread. I think it just ran into TDP limit abd can't even sustain it's boost clock, can this be actually fixed? Also the 180Watt power supply... Oh man how could that power a 6700HQ and 980m...? I think it is power limited big time...

Idk, this laptop feels really slow, i kindda give up on it and ordered the P750DM2-G...

Glued on? Well that's interesting. Not sure how effective the heat transfer would be compared to soldering the heat pipe.

Yeah it's possible to overclock the 4720HQ beyond +200 MHz, but it's a bit of a complicated process which involves editing the BIOS yourself to run a bugged older CPU microcode version that leaves multipliers unlocked. There's a tutorial on this a few threads down.

If you've got your TDP and current limits set properly in BIOS, you should be able to stay at 3.6x4 in CPU-only load as long as you're not overheating. Gaming is a different story, as like you said Turbo Boost is disabled under GPU load and CPU drops down to 2.6 GHz base. This can be improved slightly by undervolting CPU, but the fix is in EC.

The 180W adapter is fine for stock operation and moderate GPU OC. It can supply more than 180W to the laptop as I've pulled 220W from the wall (>190W to laptop after PSU efficiency) with it during overclocked benchmarking. Currently I'm using the 200W adapter from the P6xxRG, but the 230W Delta ADP-230EB T from the P6xxRS and ASUS ROG G750/G751 also works.

6 hours ago, octiceps said:

Glued on? Well that's interesting. Not sure how effective the heat transfer would be compared to soldering the heat pipe.

Yeah it's possible to overclock the 4720HQ beyond +200 MHz, but it's a bit of a complicated process which involves editing the BIOS yourself to run a bugged older CPU microcode version that leaves multipliers unlocked. There's a tutorial on this a few threads down.

If you've got your TDP and current limits set properly in BIOS, you should be able to stay at 3.6x4 in CPU-only load as long as you're not overheating. Gaming is a different story, as like you said Turbo Boost is disabled under GPU load and CPU drops down to 2.6 GHz base. This can be improved slightly by undervolting CPU, but the fix is in EC.

The 180W adapter is fine for stock operation and moderate GPU OC. It can supply more than 180W to the laptop as I've pulled 220W from the wall (>190W to laptop after PSU efficiency) with it during overclocked benchmarking. Currently I'm using the 200W adapter from the P6xxRG, but the 230W Delta ADP-230EB T from the P6xxRS and ASUS ROG G750/G751 also works.

Yes it's some sort of glue...

Wow it would be cool to mod the bios! Im in Computer Science major so if you can share some info on how to mod the bios I'm totally down to doing it haha.

btw the thermal paste is called '7783', it is very thick and man it is a good thermal paste...i saw it somewhere on the forum a lot of US company is buying 7783 and rebrand it. It is by far my favorite thermal paste lol.

It's good to hear 180W psu can pull enough juice for this laptop, I have another post made on notebookreview for my new EUrocom X4E2 (P750DM2-G), can't wait to get my hands on it.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/ordered-eurocom-sky-x4e2-p750dm2-g.796273/

Definitely hook me up when u doing modding! Start a post and I will follow along haha.

1 hour ago, lmybobbob said:

Yes it's some sort of glue...

Wow it would be cool to mod the bios! Im in Computer Science major so if you can share some info on how to mod the bios I'm totally down to doing it haha.

btw the thermal paste is called '7783', it is very thick and man it is a good thermal paste...i saw it somewhere on the forum a lot of US company is buying 7783 and rebrand it. It is by far my favorite thermal paste lol.

It's good to hear 180W psu can pull enough juice for this laptop, I have another post made on notebookreview for my new EUrocom X4E2 (P750DM2-G), can't wait to get my hands on it.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/ordered-eurocom-sky-x4e2-p750dm2-g.796273/

Definitely hook me up when u doing modding! Start a post and I will follow along haha.

Tutorial for the microcode hack is here:

That thermal paste sounds like a Shin-Etsu product, going by the number. I've heard good things about Shin-Etsu in the past, but I'm using CLU now.

Congrats on your upgrade.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, octiceps said:

Tutorial for the microcode hack is here:

That thermal paste sounds like a Shin-Etsu product, going by the number. I've heard good things about Shin-Etsu in the past, but I'm using CLU now.

Congrats on your upgrade.

OH WOW this is amazing bro I'm going to look into this sh** after work!

Thx!

On 8/18/2016 at 4:07 PM, tyraek said:

Wow that really is strange.. The only thing I can think of is if the temperature sensor fails for a second and the fan responds accordingly

Have you tried with a different OS? Might be some ACPI driver issue

I'm setting up a live stream for my X4E2 unboxing and review, join if u can haha.

Live Stream Unboxing and Review Time pre-scheduled: Oct 2, 2016@ 18:00 EST (UTC-5).
Here is a Google Calender / Apple Calender Invite using evite(no registration required): http://evite.me/vnRaFfMjrV