[Need help] Windows 10 won't recognise Sonnet Express III-D GTX 1060

Tanc

I've purchased a Sonnet Express III-D enclosure and a Zotac GTX 1060 AMP! Edition. I have a MacBook Pro model MacBookPro11,3

After plugging in the GTX 1060 into the Sonnet and plugging in the thunderbolt cable I encountered the first issue on trying to boot the Macbook Pro. It would show a black screen with no chime and no sign of booting. If I waited for the chime and boot options (with alt key) then plugged in the thunderbolt cable the system would freeze with no chance of booting Windows or Mac OS X.

I installed automate-eGPU on OS X with the -a mode and this allows the system to boot into either operating system but obviously no drivers were installed so the card wasn’t detected. In OS X the GTX 1060 doesn’t yet have driver support although the card was detected successfully by automate-eGPU which is re-assuring.

My problem is the Windows 10 (Bootcamp) will not recognise the eGPU. I also purchased DIY eGPU Setup 1.30 and that doesn't recognise the eGPU either (I have to run it off a USB stick). The only way I can get Windows to boot with the eGPU turned on is to do it after a warm restart after OS X. I'm pretty sure automate-eGPU in -a mode does something to allow it to work.

I'm pretty confused at this point as some people seem to have no problems getting Windows to recognise the hardware but for me it doesn't show up at all.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Edited by Tanc

What’s your MBP model identifier? @Mark is experiencing the same issue with a GTX 1080, MBP11,3 and III-D. I’m pretty sure that the reason is the dGPU (750M), and the firmware fails on POST(power-on self test) when two Nvidia GPUs are present, especially with a multi-slot enclosure. The -a mode resolves this on OS X, but may also cause too long delay and therefore your eGPU may not be visible to the Windows boot loader after a warm restart.

It’s worth checking if “Turn on fast startup” is disabled.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203733

I finished installing Windows 10 and unfortunately its still exhibiting the same problem in that the card isn't detected by Windows at all. I checked that fast startup was disabled.

My Macbook Pro model number is MacBookPro11,3.

Did a very quick test on my wife's Macbook Pro version MacbookPro10,1 which also has a discreet GPU (GT 650M) and the machine was able to boot to the boot menu without hanging. So the issue is definitely related to my specific Macbook Pro model 11,3. How frustrating!

I'm now installing Windows on her machine to test whether the eGPU will be detected there.