Asus Mars II Quad Sli Build

Conker

WOW nice rig , CAN this beat an SR2 ?

As svl7 mentioned, you need two Xeon processors to beat my 3960X and I go one step further saying you need a X5600 processor. 5Ghz is no problem with the 3960X, go on Youtube hundreds of vids with clocks over 5Ghz can be found.

just now ordered an hd 6990 .

Nice card :D I had one too, sold it to my colleague. It's pretty easy to overclock the card past 1Ghz, I reached 1.1Ghz core clock (forgot at which voltage). The stock fan roars like a jet :hurt:, if it's going up to 100%, Arctic Accelero Twin Turbo 6990 is a nice alternative here.

If you get two CPUs from the Xeon 5600 Series you have a chance when it comes to CPU benchmarks. Otherwise Conkers system will kick the ass of the SR-2, the question should rather be whether he can downclock it enough to make it slower than yours :D

Absolutely correct, if he has two Xeon X5600 processors, I'll loose every CPU benchmark. :beaten:

@evgasr2 : When it comes to overall results, I'll blow your machine away...my graphicscores of a 1.0Ghz AMD HD 6990 were lower than one Asus MarsII at stock, no matter if Vantage or 3dMark11. :P

but when it comes to vantage , my sr2 will kick his ass .

but I dont have money like conker , just have few $$$ in my pocket , and to buy an xeon I have to sell my Asus G73,

for now I dont have a processor and psu. but should buy one soon as possible , a guy offered me a e5603 processor for 120$ it should be good for me.

You own a EVGA SR2, but you can't afford two processors...tell me the idea behind it... :stupid:

I need some info about single mars, does it use 2x gtx 580 cores? can you mesure the weight?

MarsII:

2xGTX 580 Sli (yes it's two 580 cores in sli, like having two cards in the system)

Weight: 1.5kg per card

Power: 3x8pin

Powercosumption: possibly up to 900W

More specs: Asus MarsII

can I update my build progress in this or in a new thread.

Write your progress in a new thread, so we don't mess up with different machines. :)

Edited by Conker

2x xeons will easily beat 3960x , xeons are good overclockers.

I just bough it for 420$ without cooler, but when you compare your 2x mars II with mine its like comparing an Bugatti with FORD .

look your mars II will kick my hd 6990 in one shot , 100% sure. but can you remember some guy on youtube , ran 4x5970 , I bet that will kick your 2x MARS II ,

so there is some chance of running 6990 x 4 , I have the mobo for it but no $$$$ .

I have a sr2 but cant afford to buy 2x xeons for it , thats why im goin with single.

I cant even imagine the size of mars II , for the size it runs like a beast. dont you think that 4x 3gb gtx 580 can beat your 2x mars II ? how much did you pay for single mars II ?

YEA il open a newthread.

thanks.

2x xeons will easily beat 3960x , xeons are good overclockers.

I just bough it for 420$ without cooler, but when you compare your 2x mars II with mine its like comparing an Bugatti with FORD .

look your mars II will kick my hd 6990 in one shot , 100% sure. but can you remember some guy on youtube , ran 4x5970 , I bet that will kick your 2x MARS II ,

so there is some chance of running 6990 x 4 , I have the mobo for it but no $$$$ .

I have a sr2 but cant afford to buy 2x xeons for it , thats why im goin with single.

You bought one Xeon E5603 for 420$?!?! On Ebay the double CPU package costs 450$...I'm confused...

Bring on your results, when you're finished your system...

You're not able to run 4xHD 6990 because 2xHD 6990 is already QuadXFire.

Comparing 4 cards against 2 cards with dual chip configuration is only possible on watercooling, because cooling two chips is much more difficult than one on the same PCB.

I cant even imagine the size of mars II , for the size it runs like a beast. dont you think that 4x 3gb gtx 580 can beat your 2x mars II ? how much did you pay for single mars II ?

Once you get your HD 6990 compare the size of it with the pictures in the main post to get an imagine about the MarsII size.

4x 3Gb Vram cards would help to get Nvidia Surround working without problems...Nvidia Inspector 1.9.5.11 has a FPS limiter so this problem does no more appear...less frames means less VRAM used...

I paid CHF1500.- thats about USD1650.-...normal price for a card that's only produced 1000times...

HEY, sorry there was a typo , I said, I bought an xeon e5603 for 130$ , I guess it cheap.

and I bought the hd 6990 without cooler for 420$ shipped.

yes cant compare the gtx 580's because they are single pcb and Mars II has single pcb and dual chips in it, it is a great card man. I dont have the money to buy that. il update with my progress after I get it.

Xeon E5603? That's completely a different performance class, even if you had two of those you couldn't beat the 3960X, LOL. And what's the point of an SR-2 with only one CPU...

And now get back to topic, this is Conkers build worklog and not a platform for you to start talking about imaginary systems. Feel free to comment on Conkers system, the rest is off topic and doesn't belong here.

I seriously didnt say my e5603 is going to kick 3960x , I just said 2x x56XX processor will kick i7 3960x , lol you have misunderstood, how can my e5603 kick 3960x lol. , I bought my sr2 to do dual CPU setup but it turned out and now im going with single.

btw: if you want to watercool your mars II you should buy an Mountain mods case that will have more room to fix many radiators and will easily fit , 2x mars II .

here it is . its awsome , I tried to buy one of those but didnt have $$$ , so failed but its a good case from you , and you can mod it as you like, and do you know in few months or weeks you can buy an mars II waterblock.

I dont want to make a thread in this form , because I dont find any desktop freaks,. so I should Stick with EVGA forms , :excitement:

Edited by evgasr2

I am a desktop freak (take a look at my sig). I just find you posts confusing and occasionally inflammatory.

The main problem with watercooling a MARS II is the lack of available waterblocks, though I agree that the Xigmatek may start to struggle trying to cool 4x580s and a 3960X. I would consider 2 x 360mm rads the bare minimum for such a setup, and that's with very high speed fans.

As far as Mountain Mods cases go, they've always reminded me of a high school kids shop project. I love the cube format, but take a look here to see how well it can actually be done.... CASELABS On-Line Store

Sorry for confusing,

lol watercooling that beast is realy going to be hard, but someone is doing it though.

Caselabs T10 looks nice for the price. I got my hd 6990 but it came without a cooler, seller told , to reduce shipping costs he removed it. lol

this my last post on my build , I have opened a project progress in EVGA>

[OFFTOPIC] So in the end I know this wasn't even being discussed but based on what i've seen the dual core gpu's on one card perform below the same gpus on two separate boards due to the fact the separate cores are cooled individually hence... 2 580 overclocked and custom cooled should overclock better than 1 590 overclocked and custom cooled with same cooling capacity?

btw Conkers love the new build and nice way to find 15degrees of improvement thats a super win to me :)

• Thumbs Up 1

590 is two 570s IIRC??

But yes, two 580s DEMOLISH one 590, my scores with 580 SLI have beaten some people with dual 590s and dual 6990s (with half the GPU count!).

590 is two 570s IIRC??

But yes, two 580s DEMOLISH one 590, my scores with 580 SLI have beaten some people with dual 590s and dual 6990s (with half the GPU count!).

For that reasoning that your dual card beats the dual core card... is why your rig and conkers are so Kick butt :) do you two find that your 580's clock similar?

who said the 590 is two 570 IIRC ? I can't find that above.

Edited by mw86
  • Thumbs Up 1

who said gtx 590 is 2x gtx 570 IIRC ? Jimbo , are you surfing using a 3D glass or somthing?

Yea dual cards are much more powerful than dual core cards. thats why dual hd 6970 will kick my hd 6990 ,lol

@Jimbo do you know anything about 3x hd 6970 ? I have seen many people buyin a hd 6990 and hd 6970 with it.

and say its damn fast and they dont get micro laggs is it true? so If you have a gtx 590 you can sli it with gtx 580 .

Ooops, always just assumed from the scores they were lower end chips, I don't pay attention to anything that doesn't light the world on fire. :77:

Can't see any problem with the idea of 580 + 590 or 6990 + 6970, though I can't say for sure.

Main post completely rewritten, added new pics,...I'll document future updates in the main post or is there a character limit per post?

@Brian, @svl7: thanks for the preparatory work for the watermark (font,...)

Can't see any problem with the idea of 580 + 590 or 6990 + 6970, though I can't say for sure.

You're right, there should be no complications. GTX 590 is like two GTX 580 Sli (of course with lower clocks) and if you add a single GTX 580 your system works on TripleSli.

Same behaviour with 6990+6970 => TripleCFX 6970

this my last post on my build , I have opened a project progress in EVGA>

Please edit the link to your build log, can't find it on EVGA forums.

• Thumbs Up 1

Benchmarks added on main post!

Finally found some time to benchmark my system. Runs done on 3dMark11 and 3dMark Vantage, used the 3 presets Entry, Performance and Extreme on each. Nothing specially done to increase scores. Pushed my 3960X to ~5Ghz using the R4E Extreme OC Profile (High Current) and MarsII clocks raised from 782/1564/4008 to 820/1640/4200 core/shad/mem.

:13_002:

Those scores are insane. Conkers... Conkers again. Looks awesome those scores will be hard for most to touch. Can you post some mem bandwith benchmarks sometime you have time? Which ram is your main set? Gskill or Hyperx ... What are they rated at? I flashed my laptop DDR3 to 2133 and would love to see what the real deal desktop chips get :)

Insane scores indeed!

~15-20% more than my rig with two extra cores and two extra GPUs though! Higher OC would help stretch out your lead though I understand it's not a priority.

Either way, I don't think you'll struggle to play anything for a while. :D

EDIT: Just realised it's dropped ~2K points on 3dm11 P score from an earlier bench you posted, any idea what's up with that?

Edited by Jimbo

Can you post some mem bandwith benchmarks sometime you have time? Which ram is your main set? Gskill or Hyperx ... What are they rated at? I flashed my laptop DDR3 to 2133 and would love to see what the real deal desktop chips get :)

I'm using my 4x2Gb G.Skill 1866Mhz Ram, since they work again after updating to R4E Bios1202. It was the R4E Extreme OC profile, that pushed the ram up to 2100Mhz.

What you mean with "What are they rated at?"? Timings? 9/9/9/24; tRFC 110; CR 2T

Bandwith Benchmarks? Benchmark name?

EDIT: Just realised it's dropped ~2K points on 3dm11 P score from an earlier bench you posted, any idea what's up with that?

ThermalThrottling of all four GPUs, because the last time I ran benchmarks, temperatures outside were below zero, so I had no thermal issues...

:71:

Edited by Conker

I'm using my 4x2Gb G.Skill 1866Mhz Ram, since they work again after updating to R4E Bios1202. It was the R4E Extreme OC profile, that pushed the ram up to 2100Mhz.

What you mean with "What are they rated at?"? Timings? 9/9/9/24; tRFC 110; CR 2T

Bandwith Benchmarks? Benchmark name?

ThermalThrottling of all four GPUs, because the last time I ran benchmarks, temperatures outside were below zero, so I had no thermal issues...

:71:

yeah what are they rated for i did mean their timings.... wow those are real tight timings at 2100mhz congrats for sure. I guess Aida and Maxx Mem would do :)

Hey Conkers, would you consider watercooling your Mars 2's using these on each core?GPU-220 (Vid/MB) [no nozzles]I see that the holes spacing on the PCB is not even but this block is able to accommodate to nearly any type of hole configuration.You could stick some passive ramsinks onto the vram chips. All you would have to do is remove the heatsinks and replace the GPU shroud with fans still attached and it would still fit. The fans would also still provide cooling for the VRM and the rest of the card.

Edited by widezu69
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
Hey Conkers, would you consider watercooling your Mars 2's using these on each core?GPU-220 (Vid/MB) [no nozzles]I see that the holes spacing on the PCB is not even but this block is able to accommodate to nearly any type of hole configuration.You could stick some passive ramsinks onto the vram chips. All you would have to do is remove the heatsinks and replace the GPU shroud with fans still attached and it would still fit. The fans would also still provide cooling for the VRM and the rest of the card.

Thanks for the suggestion :smug: Never seen a cooler with adjustable screw positions before :) This would be a faster way to realize a watercooled system because every part is available, but I'm still a big fan of a fullcover waterblock. L3Pnl milled his fullcover waterblock this week, see here on his thread over a the ROG Asus forum. Wrote him some time ago, if I could have his CAD design, he answered it's a bit difficult because his project is fully sponsered. Maybe I'll write to him again or the other solution would be to design my own waterblock...

@ConkersGrillforce1337

Ready to sell your dual Asus Mars II + kidneys = for the world's fastest GTX 690 .

No interest to selling my beasts!!! :02.47-tranquillity: I have to admit the design of the GTX 690 is awesome, but never reaches the ingenious design of my two MarsII.

If I wouldn't suffer heat issues, my 4xGTX 580 with 1.5Gb vram are able to run every game smooth on my 6040x1200 resolution, so there's also no reason in terms of performance to change my cards.

btw did you edit your project link to one of your previous posts? Haven't found your project on the EVGA forums yet.