Clevo P150EM + GTX 970M FPS Issue

kkzhe

Hi all,

I've my GTX 970M working for a good while, but I decided to re-apply the thermal paste today because my card seemed to get a bit hot and my gaming would suffer from fps drops. I figured re-applying the thermal paste would work, but it didn't. I then uninstalled the drivers and tried reinstalling different drivers to see if they'd perform better, but for some reason my FPS is constantly below 60 FPS no matter what game it is. I've tried checking my settings in nVidia control panel, I tried flashing the vBios, I've changed countless settings to try and make it work but nothing is working. I also noticed that when I use Speed Fan, the GPU section doesn't consistently show my GPU temps. It stays at 0 Celsius for the most part, but then randomly reads 47 Celsius.

Any ideas of what could be wrong or how to possibly fix this?

You have an integrated graphics card right? Maybe it is interfering. I would do the following:

1) Re-seat the graphics card carefully and repaste it again.

2) Make sure the fans are plugged in properly and spin when you power on the notebook.

3) Uninstall and re-install both the intel display driver and nvidia driver, in that order.

4) Fire up any game with MSI Afterburner and set it to show your clocks as well as temperature ingame on the On Screen Display. Check whether full 3D clocks are running consistently in games.

5) Make sure you don't have any form of VSYNC running, either ingame, in the nvidia control panel or nvidia inspector if you have it installed.

Check whether the temperature is consistently read, the fan is spinning and 3D clocks are running as well as having no VSYNC enabled.

Hi sirana!

Thanks for the tips. I did all of the above, but still nothing. CSGO is getting less than 50 FPS in the main menu and even less in game. I've been checking for any nVidia GPU activity but everything seems to be taken over by my intel HD 4000 integrated graphics. I noticed that after unintsalling the intel display driver, my 970M was finally showing some activity but I wasn't able to start a game to see if it was actually working due to crashing caused by insufficient specs I believe it was. MSI Afterburner is reading my nVidia GPU's temps, but there it is flatlining every other graph regarding GPU usage.

Activity.jpg

None.jpg

MSI.jpg

Nope, I just flashed the vBIOS from prema's site which I thought might be updated compared to the one that came with the card. The one with the card only allowed me to use drivers from 359 and below, but after flashing the vBIOS again I was able to update it to a 361 driver which worked.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 7/31/2016 at 7:52 AM, kkzhe said:

***SOLVED***

Hi

I really Needs some help since i posted 3-4 times n could not get any respond or help from any one here,i just want to know if i buy a GTX 970M for my Clevo P150EM,should i get any card from any vendor like ALIENWARE or MSI out there,or i must get the card from CLEVO to make sure 100% compatible n working ? please help me decide !!! thanks so much for any help or respond.

Kind regards.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/7/2017 at 12:24 PM, chaccadao said:

Hi

I really Needs some help since i posted 3-4 times n could not get any respond or help from any one here,i just want to know if i buy a GTX 970M for my Clevo P150EM,should i get any card from any vendor like ALIENWARE or MSI out there,or i must get the card from CLEVO to make sure 100% compatible n working ? please help me decide !!! thanks so much for any help or respond.

Kind regards.

15/12/2017 reporting : solved