EGPU for Cuda not games: GTX 1070 vs GTX 980Ti

MultiU

I am looking to buy for my MBP mid 2014 GT750m an EGPU for graphics and VFX not games. Now the GTX 980Ti  is dropping in price to the level of a GTX 1070, would I be better of with the GTX 980Ti for my work or should i get the GTX 1070 and hopefully have the pascal drivers for OSX in the near future. 

I know that the 980Ti has a lot more CUDA cores 2816 vs 1920 , but is it likely that the Pascal Architecture even though has less CUDA cores be quicker in the future. I like that the power needed to drive the 1070 is much less and runs cooler.  Tell me your opinions and if anyone else has knowledge on this matter please share.

TIA

I have both a 980 Ti SC+ and a 1070 being delivered later today.

I actually purchased both of my 980 Ti's on Amazon at used pricing. So this was prior to 1070/1080 release at under $400 each.

Are webdrivers out yet for Pascal cards ? If so I may put the eGPU setup back together. 

I believe there is no OSX  drivers yet for the Pascal cards so a test on windows is the only option at the moment. What I am interested in is the  cuda  performance. I saw that the 980ti is a little bit better with OpenCL but i haven't seen any cuda comparison yet. But the difference was not as great as expected and in some cases the results were close. 

https://compubench.com/compare.jsp?benchmark=compu15d&did1=34523797&os1=Windows&api1=cl&hwtype1=dGPU&hwname1=NVIDIA+GeForce+GTX+1070&did2=26277507&os2=Windows&api2=cl&hwtype2=dGPU&hwname2=NVIDIA+GeForce+GTX+980+Ti