[Updated] Need help getting MPBr to recognize eGPU (MBPr mid-2012, Akitio Thunder2, GTX970)

remypham

Hi guys,

**UPDATE**

I booted into the DIY eGPU setup again, and somehow the eGPU was finally recognized.  However, I then tried to do the 36 bit compaction, and now when I turn on the laptop with the eGPU plugged in and on, I get just a black screen (is this the infamous BSOD?).  Simultaneously, the fans run at full speed (on the 970).  Now it is again unrecognized by the DIY eGPU Setup 1.3 software.  Any ideas on how to backtrack this?  Whenever I try PCI compaction again it just stops at some point; sometimes in the middle, sometimes at the end, even giving me the "Press Enter to go to the Menu" prompt, but not actually doing so upon pressing Enter.  

I have finally got my whole setup running, but the software side of things is killing me.  I have my EVGA GTX 970 plugged into the PCI port of my Akitio Thunder2 board, with my Corsair CX430 PSU powering the board and the 970 (details below in Notes).  All seems to go well on the hardware side, as the green LED turns on on the Thunder2 board, as does the PSU fan when I turn on the PSU.  Additionally, the blue LED on the Thunder2 turns on when I plug the board into my MPBr via Thunderbolt.

However, I cannot find a way to get it to appear in the Device Manager.  In the GeForce Experience app, it says I have 353.62 drivers installed, and wants me to install the 368.81 drivers (probably for the only GPU it does recognize, the build in 650M).  

Questions:

Is power via only a 6pin to the 970 enough to power it?  It seems to be working fine (fans are twitching FWIW), but it also has an 8pin (currently unused).  

What is the exact process to go through with the 1.3 setup software?  I got it mounted, but online instructions were too setup-specific and confusing at times.

Other notes:

Running Windows 10 via BIOS (not EFI/UEFI or whatever)

Power to the 970 is provided as follows:

8 pin port: occupied by a 6+2 pin directly from PSU

6 pin port: occupied by two 4 pin to 6 pin converter, with provided converter that came with 970

Thanks,

Remy

Edited by remypham

4 hours ago, remypham said:

Is power via only a 6pin to the 970 enough to power it?  It seems to be working fine (fans are twitching FWIW), but it also has an 8pin (currently unused).  

No, but I guess you figured that out, already. Because:

4 hours ago, remypham said:

Power to the 970 is provided as follows:

8 pin port: occupied by a 6+2 pin directly from PSU

6 pin port: occupied by two 4 pin to 6 pin converter, with provided converter that came with 970

PCIe cards may draw up to 75W from the PCIe slot itself. A 6PIN-connector is limited to another 75W, while an 8-PIN-connector provides up to 150W. The 970 may consume much more than 150W.