2015 15" MBP Iris + GTX1060@16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + Win10 [JohnyB33]

I finally completed my build using the following parts!

Parts:

Akitio Box:

https://www.amazon.com/Akitio-AMZ-T2PC-TIA-AKTU-Thunder2-PCIe/dp/B00LTAUTHE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1469577455&sr=8-1&keywords=Akitio

EVGA 500 PSU:

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Continuous-Warranty-Supply-100-W1-0500-KR/dp/B00H33SFJU/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1469577485&sr=1-2&keywords=Evga+psu

Molex to Barrel:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTRON-CHD04-12BARREL2-5-MOLEX-4-PIN-TO-12V-BARREL-ID-2-5mm-OD-5-5mm-USA-MADE/261920944843

Software Setup:

1) Plugged in all components.

2) Turned on the PSU. (Paper clip trick )

2) Booted up Windows 10 ( Bootcamp )

3) Installed latest Nvidia Drivers

4) Reset the system.

After completing these steps my macbook recognized the E-GPU. I will post some benchmarks soon!

Note:

The E-GPU does not always work. It seems to work only after I install the Nvidia drivers. Ill keep you up to date when I learn more.

After fooling around with the E-GPU for a day i fixed the stability issues!

1) Disabled all other video drivers. ( Iris Pro Drivers )

2) Changed bootcamp setting so the target disk was the windows partition instead of the mac partition.

Games:

720p:

Overwatch All Setting MAXED + 200% Render Scale. 60+ FPS

Skyrim All Settings MAXED 60 FPS

Pictures:

[gallery800x600]
[photo=http://i64.tinypic.com/2n0rd6u.jpg][/photo]
[/gallery]

Benchmark.JPG

Edited by JohnyB33
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Tech Inferno Fan changed the title to ??" Mid 2015 MBP + GTX1060@16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + Win10 [JohnyB33]

Is it 1060 mini version, right? Other user ( not me ) succeeded boot-up with 1060 mini in other forum. But he also suffered unstable boot-up issue in windows 8.1 & 10.

I'm under considering buy 1060 mini for my egpu configuration. If you got anything to share, it'll be helpful, thanks in advance.

2 hours ago, samoth81 said:

Is it 1060 mini version, right? Other user ( not me ) succeeded boot-up with 1060 mini in other forum. But he also suffered unstable boot-up issue in windows 8.1 & 10.

I'm under considering buy 1060 mini for my egpu configuration. If you got anything to share, it'll be helpful, thanks in advance.

I haven't done enough tests yet but I will be sure to let you know if i figure it out! I also have been using parallels pior this setup and i think the paraelles drivers may be affecting it but I am not 100% sure.

Edited by JohnyB33

FYI: I'm running a Zotac 1060 with windows 10 (rMBP 2012), and no problems with instability.  I did do the power stability mods to my Akitio box way back -- before that I was having instability problems with previous cards unless they were very low power (like a K600)

I do have sporadic crashes in windows (maybe once a week?), but I believe its no more frequent than before I switched to the eGPU setup.

17 minutes ago, omvomv said:

FYI: I'm running a Zotac 1060 with windows 10 (rMBP 2012), and no problems with instability.  I did do the power stability mods to my Akitio box way back -- before that I was having instability problems with previous cards unless they were very low power (like a K600)

I do have sporadic crashes in windows (maybe once a week?), but I believe its no more frequent than before I switched to the eGPU setup.

How do you boot up your E-GPU? Just hold alt, turn it on, then go into windows?

1 hour ago, omvomv said:

Hi omvomv, may I get more detailed information about "I did do the power stability mods to my Akitio box way back"?

I tried to search but I couldn't get clear information. I just found about PCIe Riser + PSU may cause instability in other post.

• Tech Inferno Fan changed the title to Mid-2015 15" MBP + GTX1060@16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + Win10 [JohnyB33]
11 hours ago, omvomv said:

After changing some boot setting my stability issues went away!

On 2016. 7. 27. at 9:07 AM, JohnyB33 said:

1) Disabled all other video drivers. ( Iris Pro Drivers )

2) Changed bootcamp setting so the target disk was the windows partition instead of the mac partition.

Congratulation! 

Your macbook looks have only intel internal graphics, right?

So procedure will be like below?

1. install Nvidia graphic driver

2. disable intel graphic driver

3. Set default boot disk as Windows

4. System reboot

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/26/2016 at 5:07 PM, JohnyB33 said:

I finally completed my build using the following parts!

Have you done any benchmarks with your setup? I would be interested to see some of the scores that were achieved since i will be doing this exact build (w/o the case) but with an EVGA 1060 SC. It will be a few weeks before everything arrives though especially since the 1060s are on backorder everywhere!!

On 8/9/2016 at 5:37 PM, Lucas114846 said:

Have you done any benchmarks with your setup? I would be interested to see some of the scores that were achieved since i will be doing this exact build (w/o the case) but with an EVGA 1060 SC. It will be a few weeks before everything arrives though especially since the 1060s are on backorder everywhere!!

Here ya go! Let me know if this helps or you want another benchmark!

Benchmark.JPG

Hi. Could you please run an Octane Render Benchmark test? : https://render.otoy.com/octanebench/

I am trying to decide between the GTX 1060 6GB and a GTX 970 4TB.

If the render times are not too different I would opt for the 6GB as it would allow for larger scenes to be loaded.

Would really help me make a choice!

Thanks

Edited by shopkeeper

• Tech Inferno Fan changed the title to 2015 15" MBP Iris + GTX1060@16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + Win10 [JohnyB33]