Macbook Pro 15 Mid 2015 - Quadro K4200 eGPU

yama84

Hello everyone,

Thanks for a lot threads located here in the forum I was able to have 100% Stable eGPU setup:

Macbook Pro Retina 15 Mid 2015 Intel Iris Pro

Akitio Thunder2

450W Corsair PSU 100% Modular

EVGA GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0

Honestly It's working awesome but now I have one question:

I'm thinking to update to Quadro Graphic Card , specificaly talking it will be Quadro K4200 card so my questions are:

1)Nvidia Web Drivers provide support for Quadro k4200? As far as I know Quadro K4200 is based on Kepler chip, so I want to "think" its compatible. Couldn't find any information over internet (except Quadro K5000 Mac edition)

2)Currently I'm using 60W brick for Akitio in order to power my GPU GTX 980Ti but thanks to 2 x 8pins connectors its working stable. Now  the "problem" with Quadro Cards, they are really power efficient so we can encounter power issues. My question is if I buy 2.5mmx5.5mm plug power adapter rated 12V/10A to deliver in total up to 120W, will i "break" the 25W pcie limitation?Or yes or yes I must to do hardmod in order to overpass the power limitation (read in some topics in the forum)?

Thanks in advance for information!

If you use Quadro cards, Install Quadro Drivers.

It will 'unlock' Graphic API & Compute API on Quadro Cards.

Download Quadro Mobile drivers from Nvidia Site or from your card's manufacturer site.

Uninstal your existing GTX driver with DDU. Disable Windows Hardware Autoupdate Driver.

Defer upgrades Win 10 Windows Update, or simply disconnect internet connection.

Nv Quadro chip

Quadro Series: Fermi

Quadro K Series: Kepler

Quadro M Series: Maxwell

Sorry i havent test Akitio T2 with Quadro cards. I only use EXP GDC Beast.

I use Dell 220W for Quadro 4000 with 6 pin auxiliary power cable direct from eGPU.

And i use ATX 500W PSU for Quadro 6000, 6pin & 6+2pin from PSU.

With this config i don't have Power issues.

Hope this helps

1 hour ago, ssamydla said:

If you use Quadro cards, Install Quadro Drivers.

It will 'unlock' Graphic API & Compute API on Quadro Cards.

Download Quadro Mobile drivers from Nvidia Site or from your card's manufacturer site.

Uninstal your existing GTX driver with DDU. Disable Windows Hardware Autoupdate Driver.

Defer upgrades Win 10 Windows Update, or simply disconnect internet connection.

Nv Quadro chip

Quadro Series: Fermi

Quadro K Series: Kepler

Quadro M Series: Maxwell

Sorry i havent test Akitio T2 with Quadro cards. I only use EXP GDC Beast.

I use Dell 220W for Quadro 4000 with 6 pin auxiliary power cable direct from eGPU.

And i use ATX 500W PSU for Quadro 6000, 6pin & 6+2pin from PSU.

With this config i don't have Power issues.

Hope this helps

Thanks for your answer ssamydla,

Understood about the power but about the driver support I "forgot" to mention the most important thing about the driver .... that I always use Mac OS (precisely El Capitan 10.11.6), so my doubt is about driver support for Quadro is for MacOs Operating System.

@yama84 Yeah, In recent OSX/MacOS version All Graphic card drivers is embed on MacOS / OSX Installer.

Unless if you're using Quadro for Mac certified model (Q4000 for Mac & K5000 for Mac).

GTX 980 is Maxwell.  and K4200 is Kepler,   However, here's the K5000 for Mac drivers but I cannot guaranteed it will worked for your K4200: http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/105589/en-us

But if you would like to give it a shot, share with us the results :) 

And you might need to to Install separate CUDA for Mac driver to utilize it's Graphic API & Compute API on a Mac: http://www.nvidia.com/object/macosx-cuda-7.5.30-driver.html

Only install CUDA driver for Mac if you planned to use your Quadro card for Creative application computing.

Good luck

[EDIT] If you think the driver successfully installed and Quadro card detected on El Capitan but it's not working properly, you might need to flash the card's VBIOS with customized for OSX. But this is very risky, if you're unsure about Flashing VBIOS. Don't do it. Consult with eGPU & VBIOS Mod experts in this forum :) 

Edited by ssamydla