2015 MBPr 15" (Bootcamp) + akitio Thunder2 + GTX 1070 can't detect graphics card in device manager

Hi,

I'm using a 2015 MBPr 15" (running windows 10 through bootcamp), with a gtx 1070 plugged into an akitio thunder 2, which plugs in to the thunderbolt port on my laptop.
I tried to install the drivers, but the installation software cant recognize the gpu plugged into the thunderbolt port.  It also doesn't show in device manager.  Interestingly enough, several new things appear in device manager, under system devices, several PCI upstream and PCI downstream switch ports are connected, which seem to be from the thunder2.  The lights on the GPU itself change depending on whether or not it is plugged into the thunderbolt port, and I'm certain that it's getting enough power from my PSU.  
Can anyone help me get this set up?

Thanks

Edited by drmcducky
added more info

I'm in a similar boat.  I have a GTX970 plugged into the Akitio Thunder2 board.  The blue light turns on when plugged into Thunderbolt, but I don't get any recognition from the Device Manager.  I've installed the drivers as well.  I tried fiddling with the Setup software (1.3), but it too can't recognize the eGPU, and calls for PCI compaction, but I'm not sure exactly what to do from that point.

I hooked up a 1070 to my 2015 MBPr (iris6100) earlier today, it recognized it, installed drivers, then went into endless boot (win8.1) reinstalling with win10 now to see what I can do.

9 & 10 series cards don't seem to work well with this model MacBook Pro, 6 & 7 series cards worked flawlessly, but only on Windows 8.1, they use the legacy driver built in to all latest releases drivers and I believe that has something to do with it. Newer cards don't use legacy, and don't seem to work well as egpu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I am new at this eGPU thing and this is my first post on this forum so please excuse me if I am doing anything wrong. I have read so many posts on this forum and finally I decided to order my parts.

Software:

• Windows 10 (upgraded from Windows 8.1 which was installed via bootcamp two years ago.)
  • Intel Iris Pro latest Graphics Driver
  • Nvidia 750m latest Graphics Driver
  • rEFInd bootloader (to enable Iris Pro on Windows)
  • gpu-switch by 0xbb (to set Iris Pro as the display's main driver)

Hardware:

• Macbook Pro 15" (Mid 2014), Core-i7 2.5GHz, Iris Pro + GT 750M
  • AiKiTiO Thunder2 (powered riser as well as tried powered by its power brick)
  • EVGA GTX 1070 SC ACX 3.0

• Silverstone SFX 450w power supply with 6+2pin connector to GPU.

So far I have tried so many steps, setups, boot procedures etc, that are mentioned on this forum but seems like my setup is not working. My GPU is not getting detected either on OSX or Windows.

For my setup I am have tried connecting the GPU to Akitio via powered riser as well tried to connect GPU directly to Akitio board and power it via it's own brick. I am using 6+2pin connector to power my GPU. And connecting the whole setup to my MBP via thunderbolt near the mag safe connector (tried different connector as well).

On OSx side, I power on my egpu (tried both powered riser a well as power brick) and connect it to thunderbolt. After booting into OSx, nothing is detected under System Information > Thunderbolt.

On Windows side, this is more important to me since my goal is to at least get it working on windows. I have tried so many things after installing rEFInd as well as all the latest drivers installed for Iris Pro.

• I run integrated.bat, shutdown.
  • I power on my GPU, connect it to MBP via Thunderbolt.
  • Turn on MBP and boot into Windows 10. I expect to see 3 devices under display devices but I only see 2 of them. They are Intel Iris Pro and Nvidia 750m.
  • I have also tried disabling the Nvidia 750m and then tried to boot. But still it doesn’t detect eGPU.
  • I have also tried waiting for the rEFInd boot screen to come and then power on eGPU (already connected) but that doesn’t work either.

• I have also tried using both powered riser as well as Akitio’s own power brick.
  • I know that I should be using only one PSU and using a powered riser is not recommended. I plan to get molex to barrel connector but for now, I don’t have it.

I need some help to get this setup work. No matter what I try the epgu is not detected on any OS. I am positive about this that somehow I will make it work but I need help from fellows on this forum.

Meanwhile, I also plan to clean install Windows 10 via bootcamp. First by expanding the OSx partition to 100% and then creating new partition for Windows 10.

Please, any help is much appreciated!

Hi @niket7, I have a similar set up to you (MacbookPro11,3 with discreet GPU) except I have a Sonnet III-D enclosure. I also can't get Windows 10 to recognise the card at all. The only way I can boot with the eGPU plugged in is after booting to OS X. I have OS X recognising the card by using automate-egpu script. That is the only thing that seems to detect the eGPU and when in -a mode it allows me to boot into Windows. In Windows I get no detection unfortunately and can't install drivers.

Hi @niket7, I think there are two things you should check.

1. Have you made a short circuit of the ATX power supply? If you did so, the fan of the ATX power supply should work correctly.

2. Check whether your Akitio's PCIE slot is broken. I faced the same problem as you do when I got my Akitio box. I put my GTX 1070 on another PC where it worked correctly and then I found that one stitch of the PCIE slot is broken. So I asked for a change of a new motherboard from the seller. Now it works correctly.

Edited by nando4
removed op quote

23 hours ago, Airp said:

Hi @niket7, I think there are two things you should check.

1. Have you made a short circuit of the ATX power supply? If you did so, the fan of the ATX power supply should work correctly.

2. Check whether your Akitio's PCIE slot is broken. I faced the same problem as you do when I got my Akitio box. I put my GTX 1070 on another PC where it worked correctly and then I found that one stitch of the PCIE slot is broken. So I asked for a change of a new motherboard from the seller. Now it works correctly.

Hi @Airp, thank you for your response.

1. Yes, the power supply do turn on. I am using the paperclip trick.

2. I suspected that this might be the case. But I had no other way to test it out using any PC or other means.

Anyways, even if I would make it work after hours and hours of struggle (which may not be worth it), I am not very positive that it would be a stable setup. Hence, I have returned my Akitio box and have kept the PSU and GPU. I have decided to just make my own separate PC build with 4K display. I have ordered my parts which will come tomorrow!

On 17/08/2016 at 3:05 AM, niket7 said:

@Airp

Anyways, even if I would make it work after hours and hours of struggle (which may not be worth it), I am not very positive that it would be a stable setup. Hence, I have returned my Akitio box and have kept the PSU and GPU. I have decided to just make my own separate PC build with 4K display. I have ordered my parts which will come tomorrow!

Do you mind sharing what other parts you ordered? I have most of the parts to setup a eGPU with my macbook pro but i'm still waiting for my graphics card to arrive to see if I can actually get it working! Worse come worse I will also build a seperate PC.

Do you mind sharing what other parts you ordered? I have most of the parts to setup a eGPU with my macbook pro but i'm still waiting for my graphics card to arrive to see if I can actually get it working! Worse come worse I will also build a seperate PC.

Hi@shopkeeper, I decided to build a separate PC since the eGPU setup didn't worked. Hence I meant that I ordered all other parts to build a PC. Hope the eGPU setup works for you, but if you feel that the whole setup is not a stable eGPU setup and if you are willing to then I would suggest to just build a separate PC setup.

Hi@shopkeeper, I decided to build a separate PC since the eGPU setup didn't worked. Hence I meant that I ordered all other parts to build a PC. Hope the eGPU setup works for you, but if you feel that the whole setup is not a stable eGPU setup and if you are willing to then I would suggest to just build a separate PC setup.

This is what I'm doing. The setup works great with a 760, but didn't want to boot with a 1070, so Im building a desktop to put the 1070 in.

I believe, you would have had to Boot into Windows using the iGPU, then completely uninstall the Nvidia drivers and reboot, because the stupid NVIDIA installer only detects available cards at installation time.