[HARDWARE MOD] Clevo AC Adapter Mods

Hey guys, thought I would share a couple of very simple mods I did that others may benefit from. 

My P750ZM came with a wimpy little 240W AC adapter, that's really not adequate for a heavily overclocked 4790K and GTX 980M. I had a spare AC-100 (dual adapter) converter box and a spare Alienware 330W AC adapter.

I purchased one of these dongles to convert the Dell 7.5mm connector to a different size AC plug. It does not matter what connector is on the male end, all we need is the Dell 7.5mm female connection, so any similar dongle will work. The wire gauge is smaller than I would like it to be, but the cable is short. So far I have noticed no power handling restrictions. The cable and end plugs on the dongle do not get hot, so it seems good in spite of the small wire gauge. If you can find a dongle made with larger gauge wire that would be a better option than the one I linked, but it does seem to work fine. So, what I did from here is I sacrificed the crappy little 240W adapter and stole the cable off of it. I used the original cable and strain relief boot from the 240W adapter to replace the silly short pigtail on the AC-100. I soldered it in place of the short pigtail and it looks factory.

When soldering together the custom dongle, be sure to wire it correctly. Solder white to white. The ID signal wire and ground wire should be soldered together and that will tell your Alienware AC adapter to output the full 330W capacity. 

I used the short pigtail from the AC-100 converter and spliced it with the Dell adapter dongle, so now I can plug the 330W Alienware AC adapter into that dongle and connect it to a 4-prong Clevo laptop AC jack... easy-peasy. I can put my spare 330W Alienware adapter to good use on my Clevo laptops and now I have a nice long cord on my AC-100 converter box.

YAWHPxB.jpg

iV8tVhS.jpg

• Guest changed the title to [HARDWARE MOD] Clevo AC Adapter Mods
  • 4 months later...

Hi, I tried to solder the original plug-in jack of my 180w PSU to a DELL (  Flextronics) 240w PSU. I connected the ID wire to the ground and white to white as you instructred, but the Adapter shuts down 1-2 min after GPU is under full load. I have a Clevo P157SM and upgraded 2 summers ago to a GTX 980M which needed more power. It is only doing this while using prema's vbios. I didn't change any settings. My laptop was working well with the 180w as well, but many users reported that it needs more power. Need a bit of help. Thanks!

2 hours ago, Alibi said:

Hi, I tried to solder the original plug-in jack of my 180w PSU to a DELL (  Flextronics) 240w PSU. I connected the ID wire to the ground and white to white as you instructred, but the Adapter shuts down 1-2 min after GPU is under full load. I have a Clevo P157SM and upgraded 2 summers ago to a GTX 980M which needed more power. It is only doing this while using prema's vbios. I didn't change any settings. My laptop was working well with the 180w as well, but many users reported that it needs more power. Need a bit of help. Thanks!

What are you doing that shuts it down? If you're cranking up the GPU voltage you can still shut down a 240W with a single 980m.

• 3 years later...