Falconet

eGPU with the GTX 1070/1080. Is it possible/worth it?

Hello, 

I own a Lenovo Y510p with a GT755M SLI configuration (which almost always overheats/crashes for games that DO support them) and i plan to set up an eGPU for it.

I've done a considerable amount of research on the topic but there are still doubts to ascertain before moving on.

1) Is it possible for the latest series of GPUs (GTX 1070, GTX 1080) from Nvidia to be used as an eGPU? Those who've already tried it used stuff like the Razer Core or it's other branded equivalent. What I'm looking for is the complete DIY version using the EXP GDC V8 connected to the mPCIE underneath the laptop (the one which the wifi card uses). I am aware of the Thunderbolt tests on Macs but I'm curious about it's performance on the mPCIE. And would it be compatible with the mPCIE adapter? Would it be too "new" for my laptop bought in 2014? 

2) If it is possible, would it be worth it? Would the bottle-necking of the mPCIE be enough to diminish its worth? I wouldn't want to go for the GTX 970 or GTX 980 because my long term plan would be to use the GTX 1070 on a desktop set up once I settle down. (I'm a travelling student btw)

Thanks in advance.

The EXP GDC product page has a good chart outlining what cards are ideal for PCIe x1 gen 2: http://www.banggood.com/EXP-GDC-Laptop-External-PCI-E-Graphics-Card-p-934367.html

I don't know if there's much truth to it, since I presume different applications might utilise the PCIe bus differently.

It should theoretically be possible to benchmark every card at PCIe x1 speeds to determine at what point additional graphics horsepower becomes meaningless due to PCIe x1 bottlenecks.

Edited by Arbystrider

On 7/20/2016 at 2:22 AM, Falconet said:

Hello, 

I own a Lenovo Y510p with a GT755M SLI configuration (which almost always overheats/crashes for games that DO support them) and i plan to set up an eGPU for it.

I've done a considerable amount of research on the topic but there are still doubts to ascertain before moving on.

1) Is it possible for the latest series of GPUs (GTX 1070, GTX 1080) from Nvidia to be used as an eGPU? Those who've already tried it used stuff like the Razer Core or it's other branded equivalent. What I'm looking for is the complete DIY version using the EXP GDC V8 connected to the mPCIE underneath the laptop (the one which the wifi card uses). I am aware of the Thunderbolt tests on Macs but I'm curious about it's performance on the mPCIE. And would it be compatible with the mPCIE adapter? Would it be too "new" for my laptop bought in 2014? 

2) If it is possible, would it be worth it? Would the bottle-necking of the mPCIE be enough to diminish its worth? I wouldn't want to go for the GTX 970 or GTX 980 because my long term plan would be to use the GTX 1070 on a desktop set up once I settle down. (I'm a travelling student btw)

Thanks in advance.

Did you end up moving forward?  How did it work out?

i have the same laptop so i am curious. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By DgknGkdn
      The computer I used was '' Lenovo Y510P ''. There is a '' Nvidia GT755M [SLI] '' as a display card. I have tried both ways of downloading the video card driver from both GeForce Experience and Nvidia driver site. Both kinds of graphics cards are starting to update. Later, the 'graphic driver is installed' part of the screen goes and never comes again. I can not enter Windows when I turn off the computer. I have to take format from scratch.

After formatting, Windows automatically loads a graphics card driver in 2017, trying to update the driver again, it stays black on the screen again. I have to format again.

With DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) program, I deleted the old video card driver and updated it again. But I met the same problem.

I communicated with Nvidia and stated that I had such a problem. They asked me not to install the 388.13 video card driver. That graphics card driver has been loaded without any problems. But I have the same problem with all the video card drivers out there.

NOTE: This problem only happens on Windows 10. I can update the display board without any problems in operating systems like Windows 8,8.1.

NOTE: I have been having this problem for about 2 months, before I could update my display card in Windows 10 without a problem.

The driver I am currently using is: 388.13
    • By heyitsme8717
      Recently obtained myself a bricked Y410P after undervolting my CPU, using svl7's bios mod on TechInferno. If you only take one thing away from this post, it should be the fact that 
      NEVER SHOULD YOU EVER UNDERVOLT A LAPTOP CPU FROM A MODDED BIOS. Hindsight is never 20/20.
      Anyways, back to topic! 

I went and purchased my self one of these, in hopes of to re-program my sad bios. So far no good. 

I am wondering if anyone out there have had any success with this approach. Please share your journey here!
    • By Webshooter38
      Hi all,

I'm debating whether or not to replace the thermal paste in my Lenovo y510p. I've started overclocking a bit, and I have an external fan, but I would like to not have to run the fan as fast because it is a little loud. I have been reading a bit about different thermal pastes, and I'm wondering if there is even a big difference between stock thermal paste, and something like the liquid metal from thermal grizzly. It sounds like it'd work better, but I don't want to fall for a good marketing scheme. If anyone has experience with this and has or hasn't seen big differences, your input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
      -Web
    • By AMan
      Hi,

I recently bought the new Toshiba RC100 m.2 2242 NVMe SSD for my Lenovo Y510p which has an m.2 port in it.
      After installation the SSD wasn't showing up in my BIOS and also not on my OS Win 10 disk management. So I did a bit of research and installed mod BIOS for my Y510p by following the steps in the link: ( https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/3546-lenovo-y410p-y510p-unlocked-bios-wlan-whitelist-mod-vbios-mod/ )
      There are a lot more options in the BIOS menu now.
      Even after doing the mod it's not showing up. The SSD works on my friend's "new 2017 dell gaming laptop" which has m.2 ssd support in it. I don't know what exactly to configure my BIOS to make it work. I've just done some hit-and-trial configs which have eventually failed.
      If someone can help solve it Pleasee!!

P.S. : I can share all the available options available in the BIOS if required.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.