Need Help Completing Build!! (parts bought, just need correct power adapters) [MBPr mid 2012, GTX970, Corsair 430, Akitio Thunder2]

remypham

Hi all,

First off, I would like to thank this community for having inspired me and helped me get to this point in my DIY eGPU project.  Currently, I have all of the main components; namely, a Macbook Pro Retina (mid-2012) with the NVIDIA 650M, a EVGA GTX 970 graphics card, Akitio Thunder2, and the Corsair 430 PSU.  I am confused, however, on how to connect these all together power-wise.  My understanding is that both the PCIe board (which I have detached from the Akitio Thunder 2) and the 970 would be powered by the Corsair PSU.  However, I am not sure how exactly to do that.  Would I have to somehow connect one of the many power cables coming out of the PSU to the barrel via molex to barrel on the board?  If so, which cable would I adapt from?  Additionally, if I recall correctly, there is a 6 pin and 8 pin power port on the 970 - would both of these need to be plugged into the PSU?  If so, would I plug the 6 pin and 8 pin adapters directly into the 970 from the PSU?  The 970 came with several power adapters, which confused me.  

I apologize if I have left out any details.  Please let me know if I can clarify anything.  Thanks for all your help!

Remy

PS I have read most, if not all, of the threads pertaining to GTX 970 + Thunder 2 setups, some of which also make use of a PCIe riser.  I don't think i would need this, since I am making a custom open-air wall-mount, so the 970 would be directly plugged into the Thunder2 board.  Can anyone verify that I would not need this?

PPS A detailed guide regarding my build will be posted as soon as I get this bad boy up and running!  It's the least I can do for all of the help I've found thus far on this site.  FWIW, it has cost me so far about $475.

Edited by remypham

@remypham - Not sure if this helps, but the board is connected to the internal metal base that goes in the sleeve on the Akitio.  The back plate of that has a barrel plug that you would plug the original power adapter supplied from Action into if you were to use this normally (read NOT EGPU).  If you remove the board, then you need that barrels plug slot with it I think... or did I misunderstand the question?

On 7/19/2016 at 3:25 AM, remypham said:

Hi @HiroCool, thanks for your reply.  I am aware that the board receives power via a barrel plug.  My question is how exactly I would convert one of the power cables coming from the 430 PSU to a barrel plug.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTRON-CHD04-12BARREL2-5-MOLEX-4-PIN-TO-12V-BARREL-ID-2-5mm-OD-5-5mm-USA-MADE/261920944843

• Thumbs Up 1

@JohnyB33 awesome, thanks!  So after I plug the 4pin to the barrel adapter, and the barrel into the PCIe board, would the last step be to directly plug in the 6pin and 8pin from the PSU to the 970?  Would all of my power needs be satisfied at that point?

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, remypham said:

@JohnyB33 awesome, thanks!  So after I plug the 4pin to the barrel adapter, and the barrel into the PCIe board, would the last step be to directly plug in the 6pin and 8pin from the PSU to the 970?  Would all of my power needs be satisfied at that point?

Correct 

• Thumbs Up 1