M.2 link via PE4C v4.1 experiences?

M.2 is faster since it provides 4 PCIe lanes.

mPCIe can only provide 1 PCIe lane per slot, AFAIK.

In games, the difference is not linear. An eGPU running on x4 lanes might only run as much as 15% faster than an eGPU running on x1 lane.

Edited by Arbystrider
Grammar

• 1 month later...
On 5/22/2016 at 10:46 AM, jdsteele said:

Thats great info, thanks. I am thinking I will try it out if my notebook will allow it. I have a Lenovo Edge e530 and I have found at least one person who says they got eGPU working. Just not sure which port they used. ;-)

Have you tried the v4.1?  I'm looking to upgrade from the v2.1, but I can't find any documentation on if/how it works, and with what laptop models.

I have not as yet. I ran into an issue with this particular device only allowing "whitelisted" cards. So I have not pulled the trigger in buying the v4.1 yet. I need to start looking seriously for a way around that issue though. 

This is my first post in this forum and I made my account just to help you, and I wish I can do so.

First of all, just to make sure this is clear: I didn't make an egpu set up yet and I'm only talking from the knowledge I gathered around the internet, so if I made a mistake, correct me please.

I will explain in a step by step fashion (better than essay format):

Step 1:  Check the m.2 slot interface.

intro:

put in your mind that not every m.2 slot is connected to pcie bus. there is typically 2 interfaces in which m.2 slots can use. These interfaces are PCIe interface and SATA interface. So, if you have by any chance a "m.2 SATA" slot, this means that if you connected a PCIe card into it, it won't work because the data will not reach the PCIe center on the motherboard. To make it simple, the data pathways are different.

note: I read something about that m.2 slot can use a usb interface (instead of either SATA or PCIe) but I'm not sure about it.

How to check:

Now how can you check if the slot is a ssd or pcie slot? there is no such determined way to tell 100%, but there is multiple ways to follow to be sure:

A. what is already connected to that slot? if it is a ssd drive or empty then u need to skip to the next way as SSDs can use either m.2 SSD interface or m.2 PCIe interface. If it's a wlan card or something else then it's PCIe, atleast if there was no m.2 USB interface.

B. To be more confirmed, we can use a software called "hwinfo" to check PCIe buses used on your lap. Also, It can check the PCIe version, speed and # of lanes. I'm not sure if the detailed information are correct (I mean the version, speed and # of lanes) but you can depend on it deciding if it's PCIe.

C. "step 2" can in some cases determine what interface is your slot

D. Ofcourse you can search on the internet about your laptop model and check if the slot is SSD or PCIe

note: I didn't experience the situation if it was empty, so I don't know if my previous ways are reliable to check an empty slot

Step 2: check the m.2 slot key module.

- Intro:

there is many types of m.2 slots shapes called "keys", differencing in pins #, # of lanes used anbd interfaces can be used

- M.2 module keying and provided interfaces:

321.jpg

note: M keyed m.2 slots are the most modern type and the only one has PCIe x4

Thank you for your time. I hope I helped you, and I will try to continue any further steps later and improve it by adding figures and images. Also, I'm sorry for my bad English if there was any mistakes. if not, then it's cool. :36_002:

see you around :32_002:.

Edited by zazoer
  • Thumbs Up 1

I use a 40 inch uhd  tv as a monitor.

Three weeks ago I purchased the skull canyon nuc. As I expected Intel graphics are fine for the browser and desktop, but not for games.

In anticipation of this I had researched alternatives.

I ordered (from California USA) the bplus v4.1 m.2 to pcie egpu adapter on Saturday, and it arrived on Thursday via DHL.

I connect ed the m.2 card, plugged in my gtx 750ti, moved the HDMI cable, added my atx power supply and it worked the first time and every time with no modifications. Even sleep works.

-Michael

On 29/7/2016 at 11:24 AM, Mikegrok said:

I use a 40 inch uhd  tv as a monitor.

Three weeks ago I purchased the skull canyon nuc. As I expected Intel graphics are fine for the browser and desktop, but not for games.

In anticipation of this I had researched alternatives.

I ordered (from California USA) the bplus v4.1 m.2 to pcie egpu adapter on Saturday, and it arrived on Thursday via DHL.

I connect ed the m.2 card, plugged in my gtx 750ti, moved the HDMI cable, added my atx power supply and it worked the first time and every time with no modifications. Even sleep works.

-Michael

May I ask what model of pe4c v4.1 (key A/E or key M) you use and does your laptop's m.2 slot support SATA or PCIE? My laptop is asus gl552vx, could it get along with pe4c v4.1 key M? Thanks in advance.

Edited by ⓀⒽⒾⒺⓅ

On 8/4/2016 at 8:45 AM, ⓀⒽⒾⒺⓅ said:

May I ask what model of pe4c v4.1 (key A/E or key M) you use and does your laptop's m.2 slot support SATA or PCIE? My laptop is asus gl552vx, could it get along with pe4c v4.1 key M? Thanks in advance.

Dude, love your nick and avatar! :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

According to the bios screen, it is using 4 channels of pcie 1.

On the scull canyon nuc, the m.2 ports do not use the CPU pcie channels, but instead pass through DMI.

So sometimes high USB disk throughput will starve the CPU of Southbridge bandwidth, which blacks out my screen for a few seconds.

I have posted geekbench scores with the same username.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

First time poster here. I will be straightforward.. if I violated any rules let me know and I will fix it ASAP.

1. Is the M.2 to PE4C cable detachable? Because I am going to mod my NUC case in order to route the cable. Plus during a traveling I will need to detach the cable. 

2. How does the power system work?? So far I understand there are three types of input PE4C accepts: 12-19V 2.5/5.5, Special? 8-pin, and ATX. I would like to know how should I route all power cables in order to use the most optimal way and buy the right power supply. You might not have to type it all for me, if there is a manual available or someone has done it already, just point it out for me. 

3. Is there anyone already done a casing design around PE4C? 

Thanks for the help in advance. 

To clear up my question 2: is that 8-pin input a special one or just PCIE 12V? When I use that ATX input, what kind of cable routing should I make? ATX>PE4C? PE4C>GPU? ATX>GPU?

I will be able to answer that question tomorrow when the mail carrier gets here. Do you mind if i ask what model nuc? Im planning on using a nuc6i7kyk with a pe4c v4,1 to plug in to the m.2 key m slot for a egpu. Not sure how the power will be distributed yet either, but i did also get a 600w power supply (probably an overkill) to power it. I have yet to obtain a graphics card, so it will be a while before i can tell you how it works, but there is one forum user (Mikegrok) who has made it work with a skull canyon.

On 10/7/2016 at 11:32 AM, kylinblue said:

First time poster here. I will be straightforward.. if I violated any rules let me know and I will fix it ASAP.

1. Is the M.2 to PE4C cable detachable? Because I am going to mod my NUC case in order to route the cable. Plus during a traveling I will need to detach the cable. 

2. How does the power system work?? So far I understand there are three types of input PE4C accepts: 12-19V 2.5/5.5, Special? 8-pin, and ATX. I would like to know how should I route all power cables in order to use the most optimal way and buy the right power supply. You might not have to type it all for me, if there is a manual available or someone has done it already, just point it out for me. 

3. Is there anyone already done a casing design around PE4C? 

Thanks for the help in advance. 

To clear up my question 2: is that 8-pin input a special one or just PCIE 12V? When I use that ATX input, what kind of cable routing should I make? ATX>PE4C? PE4C>GPU? ATX>GPU?

I just got my pe4c v4.1 (m.2 key m) this morning and the m.2 cable is hard wired to the pcb, which is a total bummer i would have preferred it have that hdmi plug on it like the previous versions.  As for the gpu power, it comes with a wire that goes from the pe4c power out to the gpu. I will be using a atx power supply. What model nuc are you going to be using? I will be using a nuc6i7kyk. I dont have a gpu yet, so i will not be able to set it up, but forum user Mikegrok has already made it work with his skull canyon nuc.

The cable is soldered at both ends. One to the m.2 card, one to the board with the pcie slot.

I have been planning to move to a smaller setup (old one was dual CPU extended atx) so I have a Silverstone psu. I purchased that one because of the optional short cable set.

My plan was to use this bulky setup until the better thunderbolt Boxes become available. However, I don't mind the wires, and it is rock solid.  I currently have a sata card in the slot as I put together a hackintosh.

• Thumbs Up 1