Thinkpad T430: Internal screen works, but not external ?

masaudie

Hello,

I'm using a Thinkpad T430 2349CTO for my eGPU project. The specs are:

Intel Core i5 (3rd Gen) 3320M / 2.6 GHz

- 8 Gigs RAM (dual channel)

- HD 4000

- 1600 x 900 resolution

- 500 GB 7200 rpm harddrive

- Windows 7 64-bit

My eGPU setup are as follows:

- PE4C 3.0 (ExpressCard)

- Zotac GTX 560 ti 1 GB Vram

- Corsair CX430 PSU (430 w, 80+ certified, 12v @ 32 A.)

I'm surprised how easy and smooth is the implementation, since everything works flawlessly, just plug & play. Assemble the PE4C + 560 ti + PSU, connect the PE4C to my T430 via EC, power everything up and I'm lost in time playing Fallout 4. No BIOS/Setup 1.3 tweaking whatsoever required.

I wanted to try how much the improvement of the performance by using external screen. I had 2 LCD TV, a Samsung and a LG. When connected either to HDMI or DisplayPort output of the 560 ti (one-by-one, not simultaneously), nothing appeared on the screen. But in the Win7 "Screen Resolution" and on the Physx page on Nvidia Control Panel, both TV's detected. FYI I have tried 2 HDMI cable, and both cables are working perfectly since I've tested it to my cable TV set top box. From 3 560 ti available output method, I've tried HDMI and DisplayPort (using DP to HDMI converter). I haven't got the DVI to HDMI converter so that I cannot test it yet.

From the Troubleshooting FAQ, "it could either be a faulty HDMI cable connected to the LCD or the PSU is insufficient to drive the eGPU to actually display something". So faulty cable or insufficient PSU power should not be the case, right?

What could be wrong?

Edited by masaudie

• 5 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

did you figure out how to get it working with the external monitor?  i'm on a X230 and have the same problem.  it's using the laptop monitor and i want to use the external instead, saving bandwidth on the expresscard.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.