svl7

• 1 month later...

Can someone help with the Asus N55S(L), which is a never but almost identical version of the N55S-type Notebook (Geforce GT635M). Unfortunately Asus uses a different Bios to the original N55SF, so it wont work flashing the VBIOS-Mod to my Asus.

Hey Arvid, welcome to T|I!

I just took a look at the VBIOS... There are three voltage values available in the VBIOS, 0.8125V, 0.90V and 0.925V. The 3d profile of the card is already set to the 0.925V, so it can't be set any higher in the VBIOS.

Only thing that would work is lowering the voltage, so the card runs cooler.

The only way to overvolt this machine is to do it directly at the hardware level.

• 3 weeks later...

what are you using to overclock? when I use MSI afterburner, as soon as increase the settings (even by 1), the software reverts it back to stock. I used the version of the bios flasher that you posted and the lastest bios version on this thread. thanks

• 2 weeks later...

This modified VBIOS didn't allow me to up my overclock at all. I had no problems flashing to the modified BIOS.

I used both Winflash and the bootable USB stick method just to be sure. For those wanting to use Winflash and are having problems with the error message saying their current BIOS is newer you can just launch Winflash from command prompt with an /nodate modifier. Open command prompt and find the directory for Winflash then to launch the .exe type "Winflash /nodate" (remove the quotation marks). You'll still get the 'newer version' error message but it will let you flash the modified BIOS anyways. I hope you have better luck with this BIOS than I did because for me it didn't let me overclock any higher.

The best stable overclock I can get is 780 CPU clock with a 970 memory clock with either the ASUS BIOS or with this modified one. I can't be certain that it upped the GPU voltage since GPU-Z reports 0.9000 volts with the stock VBIOS and this modified one so I suspect the app can't properly read the GPU voltage for the 555m. The limiting factor seems to be temperatures. Once I hit 77-78 degrees GPU I get freeze up no matter what the clock.

What we really need is the ability to control the fan speed. Has anyone found a way to do that?

Also, be sure to uninstall Power4Gear hybrid. That's ASUS power management software. Once I got rid of it and just used the power options built into Windows I noticed a large drop in my temps. You can further control temps by disabling Turbo boost of the CPU. Go into power options in Windows, be sure you're in high performance profile, and select 99% for minimum processor speed and 99% for maximum processor speed. The CPU will stay out of Turbo boost as long as it never reaches 100%. You don't need CPU Turbo boost for games since mostly it is the GPU that is limiting not the CPU.

Good luck and let me know if you find a way to control fan speed. Also, if someone wanted to take apart their N55SF and test it with a volt meter I think that would be the only way to see if this modified BIOS actually changes the GPU voltage to 0.9250. I certainly doesn't seem that way since it didn't allow any higher overclock for me. Thanks for the effort for those that created the file though. It was fun to play around with.

This modified VBIOS didn't allow me to up my overclock at all. I had no problems flashing to the modified BIOS.

The best stable overclock I can get is 780 CPU clock with a 970 memory clock with either the ASUS BIOS or with this modified one. I can't be certain that it upped the GPU voltage since GPU-Z reports 0.9000 volts with the stock VBIOS and this modified one so I suspect the app can't properly read the GPU voltage for the 555m. The limiting factor seems to be temperatures. Once I hit 77-78 degrees GPU I get freeze up no matter what the clock.

Hi, and welcome to T|I, I think I know what the problem is, your system uses a different revision of this GPU, I think I can fix this.

I checked the BIOS again, it should work fine for both card revisions, the newer card revision is at the higher voltage level at stock settings, no mod needed. I guess you have the older card revision and the BIOS didn't flash after all.

Can you provide me a screenshot of the GPU-Z main tab?

You need to reflash the bios, all vbios in it are set to the highest possible voltage value. You probably need to force the flash, I recommend flashing per DOS.

Thank you. Besides using Winflash I also flashed via bootable USB stick in DOS as mentioned early in this thread using AFLASH2 with the same results. Are you talking about a third way of flashing? Is there how-to online somewhere that I could follow?

After I flash I always enter the BIOS and select 'Reset BIOS to Optimized Defaults'. Should I not being doing that step? I read elsewhere that doing that can prevent possible issues.

http://i.imgur.com/0Nu7M.png

http://i.imgur.com/iyV6x.png

Before I flash a third time could you please look at these two screenshots from GPU Shark. They seem to suggest that the flash was successful and the card still won't pass 0.9000v. The first screenshot is at idle and the second is when running a 3D test. You can see the the profile states 0.925v but when you look at the current voltage it says 0.9000v. Any thoughts?

Well, it might as well be a reporting issue, you see, the voltage displayed in such tools isn't actually a measured value, it just gets reported from the driver - which gets the value from I don't know where or from the vbios, but it's definitely not an actual voltage value. The only way to really verify that you got a higher voltage is testing the overclocking limit, it should be a bit higher with the increased voltage.

Still, I've also seen cards which could get overvolted by more than 0.15V and it didn't bring more than 10-20MHz... that's rare, but it can happen as well.

And btw, loading the defaults after a successful flash is a good idea.

Ok thanks. I suspect that it's just heat that's limiting my overclocks. I can run higher for a while but then it freezes once it gets too hot. Are there any plans in the works for a modified BIOS to increase the fan speeds? This card doesn't seem to have the ability to control the fan from the usual apps like Hwinfo64. It might have to be changed in the BIOS.

- - - Updated - - -

To anyone else that finds this thread, the AFUDOS utility gives a "Bad command or file name" error when you try to flash the new BIOS. Use the Aflash2 utility posted by Silvan and it works fine. Or if you want to use Winflash open it with command prompt and use the /nodate modifier I mentioned earlier. This works fine also.

• Thumbs Up 1

Update: I modified my BIOS to have the fan kick in at 100% at a lower temperature. It made zero difference. The fan is just too wimpy to keep temps down while overclocking. I'm going to try a gel cooling pad.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

just decided to join so new here! this mod still working well for everyonr? im tempted to flash it lol

EDIT: @svl7 id really like to try this mod but worry if i will face any over heating BSODs that were mentioned in the thread, is it a good idea to do this mod as im still on a older 204 version of the asus n55sf bios but would definitely like to improve my gpu performance :)

• 3 weeks later...
@turilo

i also joined here to check this post out, but it seems it is very outdated?

did you try it yet, did you get any BSOD?

No I decided not to go through with it just in case, wouldn't want to be stuck with BSODS constantly :banghead: so I just decided to use msi afterburner to OC my gpu so far seems to help well :D

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Well, a voltage increase will always result in higher temps. Whether it will work fine for your system or not completely depends on your stock temps. Usually you should replace the thermal paste before starting to overvolt.