980m with coil whine issue

qiweiyu11

Hey guys,

i just updated my P151em with a new 980m. Everything was okay but since couple days ago,  everytime I play 3d games , there is always some buzzing sound coming from my laptop. And when I go back to desktop, it will immediately stop. I found that many desktop 900 series cards have this issue but never heard about mobile version having this issue.

I am wondering if anyone else has the same issue with me and if this issue will damage my card. Thx!

On 2016/7/14 at 8:48 PM, T6nn_k said:

External dac/amp will help you to forget it.

it is external noise not from headset. I think DAC wont help me :( 

On 2016/7/15 at 6:36 AM, Khenglish said:

The sound is annoying, but other than noise its nothing bad.

On 2016/7/15 at 2:15 AM, Breakbeatnik said:

Have that issue when the laptop (p771zm+980m) is only running from the battery.

It solves when I plug the AC PSU.

some older games make it louder too. might be related  with fps and power drainage.

I think it might be becasue the power consumption of 980m is beyond my power supply circuit or PSU , which I have 180w right now. I will try 230w later and see if it will be solved. ( But I heard there is a power limit in P151em. :( )