laptop capable of x2 link?

blowntaha

I was looking around for laptops to buy that are capable of x2 link on my PE4C v2.1 w/ my GTX 970. I have lots of ivy bridge CPUs so preferred to be 3rd gen intel with HM77 chipset (or any other chipset with an "Extreme" SKU). I had a hard time finding a laptop that is both capable of x2 link  and have extreme SKU. The eGPU candidates list is not as complete as I'd like it to be, so here I am asking anyone who knows of such a combination. ^.^ 

I don't know much about PCI 1.0/2.0/3.0 because it has never really been an issue for me, I've used my PE4C on about ~ 10 laptops. I may go for the E6430, but first I'm trying to see if I can do a x2 link on my E5420. I don't have its expresscard attachment and only the mobo though, but would much rather buy that part than a whole new laptop.

1 hour ago, Chrishnaw said:

For what it's worth, I've got a x2 link running from my Latitude 4310 to my R9 270X through the PE4C v2.1, but it's got a 1st gen i5 and I don't know if the E4000 family supports CPU swapping.

I'd rather not go for anything pre 6-series, but thanks for the info. If by CPU swapping you mean changing CPUs, most if not all laptops, especially 1st gen i-CPUs do 'support' CPU swapping. But the best 1st gen i7 just doesn't cut it with me :\

5 hours ago, Doink said:

Don't forget that optimus PCIe data compression is only available on x1 link.

That's only for dx9 though, right? I don't typically play games that are dx9, especially more so since dota 2 is now fully dx11. But thanks for the tip.

11 hours ago, blowntaha said:

That's only for dx9 though, right? I don't typically play games that are dx9, especially more so since dota 2 is now fully dx11. But thanks for the tip.

No its everything. If I remember right optimus x1 links usually matched or outpermed x2 links in dx9 titles, but in dx10 and dx11 x2 almost always beats optimus x1, but optimus would still be a major improvement over pure x1.

Edited by Khenglish

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.