I have no idea what im doing here here (HELP)

So basically, I wanted to find a way to play games without lagging everywhere and the only thing that is bad on my laptop is the graphics card, so somehow I stumbled into this eGPU page and hopefully someone can help me basically understand how all of this works or at least attempt to help me out. So I have an Dell Inspiron 17 7000 series and ill basically copy and paste the processor if that is relevant information. The processor is a Intel(R) core(TM) i5-5200U CPU @ 2.20GHz so I have no idea what most of this means because when it comes to laptops and modification I am just completely clueless. I was just hoping to get an answer from someone if I could even have a eGPU setup and what it would cost me for that and if it is even worth doing. I know this is where people who know everything about this stuff, but I am just really interested to see if I could actually just upgrade graphics cards without buying a brand new computer, and hopefully somebody can help a clueless man. Thank you for reading and replying if you choose to.

Edited by Codypom

The above is a little harsh. The eGPU area is definitely something where you do need a significant computer background, but that doesn't mean you can't learn. If you're interested in spending the time learning below is a great summary thread:

The details in the above thread are a bit outdated (the GPU recommendations are outdated and thunderbolt is faster than 1.2opt), but the concepts still apply. If you want to take the time to learn this stuff start there and branch out. If not then it would be best to just buy a new system.

Edited by Khenglish
  • Thumbs Up 5

On 12.7.2016 at 4:41 PM, Arbystrider said:

Stores like Best Buy exist because of and for people like you. If you don't even know how electricity works, this is not the forum for you.

This place is for enthusiasts who know what they're doing. TLDR: Just buy another PC. It saves everyone the hassle.

Sorry for this. Arbystirder was just so impressed about how cool he is that he forgot his manners... What he really wanted to say was: "Hi threre! Nice to have you around! How can I help you!" (As this is how a pro would act.)

Now for your problem:

1.) What kind of games do you want to play? Are they very demanding? Can you name some titles? Those questions are important as any games will run on your CPU but some more recent games will not work with only 2 CPU Cores. So before planing/investing on an eGPU you should ask yourself if your CPU can handle the games you want to play. If this check is positve you should think about an eGPU solution.

2.) As those eGPU solutions in general require a special interface, you should then check if your notebook features this very interface. The thread Khenglish posted should be of some help in this regard. I found this article very heplful: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2984716/laptop-computers/how-to-transform-your-laptop-into-a-gaming-powerhouse-with-an-external-graphics-card.html

And perhaps this vid might be a helpfull addition:

If you are not the DIY kind fo guy, there might be some premade solutions comming up:

Best regards

phila

Edited by phila_delphia
  • Thumbs Up 2

• 4 months later...

Thank you khenglish and phila_delphia. The info you posted answered most of my questions.  My fear is that my y580 would have a whitelist issue with the mPCI despite the fact that the guy in the first video is using the same model. I will definitely have to give this more thought.