EwinRacing Flash Series Gaming Chairs
Khenglish

[HARDWARE MOD] 980M to Desktop 980 core upgrade

Hi, this looks awesome,  got a few questions

i got a Alienware !7 r2 with the a dead 980

It is possible to attempt this same mod on the BGA 980m, its already dead so i already have to replace the Mobo, if you dont recommend that , do you think i can replace with a GPU from a MXM board?

thanks in advance

Yes the core between MXM and BGA should be interchangeable. They both have GM-204 cores and 256-bit memory interfaces.

Hi, khenglish I wanna ask you some questions

I got msi gt70 with gtx 780m can I swap it with gtx 770 because it has the same gk104 or can I swap it with gtx 980? if I can swap it to gtx 980 am I must mod the vbios or anything else that I must do?

Thanks khenglish for sharing this amazing experiment.

I had not read this subject and am really impressed with his work

Edited by kdead1

12 hours ago, lul3d said:

Hi, khenglish I wanna ask you some questions

I got msi gt70 with gtx 780m can I swap it with gtx 770 because it has the same gk104 or can I swap it with gtx 980? if I can swap it to gtx 980 am I must mod the vbios or anything else that I must do?

Thanks khenglish for sharing this amazing experiment.

GK104 and GM204 share the same BGA so physically a 980 core would be compatible, but constructing a vBIOS for the card would probably be impossible.

A gtx 770 core should work. You may lose LVDS display output though.

• Thumbs Up 1

ok, so it's actually impossible for me to swap my 780m core to 980 and if I get the 770 i'll lose my screen interesting, but can it still possible if I do it with gtx 970m and is the vbios mod will be complicated? since I found a really cheap gt72 with gtx 970m, sorry for asking lot of question and huge thanks for your advice bro.

Edited by lul3d

Can it only work in optimus mode?

What I am thinking is, I have a alienware m18x r2 gtx 980m sli, will it be possible to do this mod on two cards and run gtx 980 sli?

The sli part is actual not important for me, the important thing is, I am using my alienware for VR, which do not support nvidia optimus.

I had a clevo p170em I was using for vr but then oculus decided to bail on all optimus users and I was forced to buy a sli laptop.