[HARDWARE MOD] 980M to Desktop 980 core upgrade

Khenglish

Hi, this looks awesome,  got a few questions

i got a Alienware !7 r2 with the a dead 980

It is possible to attempt this same mod on the BGA 980m, its already dead so i already have to replace the Mobo, if you dont recommend that , do you think i can replace with a GPU from a MXM board?

thanks in advance

• 1 month later...

Hi, khenglish I wanna ask you some questions

I got msi gt70 with gtx 780m can I swap it with gtx 770 because it has the same gk104 or can I swap it with gtx 980? if I can swap it to gtx 980 am I must mod the vbios or anything else that I must do?

Thanks khenglish for sharing this amazing experiment.

12 hours ago, lul3d said:

Hi, khenglish I wanna ask you some questions

I got msi gt70 with gtx 780m can I swap it with gtx 770 because it has the same gk104 or can I swap it with gtx 980? if I can swap it to gtx 980 am I must mod the vbios or anything else that I must do?

Thanks khenglish for sharing this amazing experiment.

GK104 and GM204 share the same BGA so physically a 980 core would be compatible, but constructing a vBIOS for the card would probably be impossible.

A gtx 770 core should work. You may lose LVDS display output though.

• Thumbs Up 1

ok, so it's actually impossible for me to swap my 780m core to 980 and if I get the 770 i'll lose my screen interesting, but can it still possible if I do it with gtx 970m and is the vbios mod will be complicated? since I found a really cheap gt72 with gtx 970m, sorry for asking lot of question and huge thanks for your advice bro.

Edited by lul3d

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Can it only work in optimus mode?

What I am thinking is, I have a alienware m18x r2 gtx 980m sli, will it be possible to do this mod on two cards and run gtx 980 sli?

The sli part is actual not important for me, the important thing is, I am using my alienware for VR, which do not support nvidia optimus.

I had a clevo p170em I was using for vr but then oculus decided to bail on all optimus users and I was forced to buy a sli laptop.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I know that it is an old topic but I was inspired by it and made the same change. 

I have Clevo P377SM-A. 

Card did fired up on my test HP 8760w without any problem. Normal NVIDIA drivers installed. I could access to BIOS and have brightness control. 

But...

When I put this cards into my Clevo P377SM-A I have black screen until Windows boot with the drivers. Than I can play and do everything and card is running great. 

And there is no brightness control. I tried to mod the drivers but no luck. 

Anyone had similar problem? 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 months later...
On 10/14/2021 at 5:57 PM, Wacholek said:

I know that it is an old topic but I was inspired by it and made the same change. 

I have Clevo P377SM-A. 

Card did fired up on my test HP 8760w without any problem. Normal NVIDIA drivers installed. I could access to BIOS and have brightness control. 

But...

When I put this cards into my Clevo P377SM-A I have black screen until Windows boot with the drivers. Than I can play and do everything and card is running great. 

And there is no brightness control. I tried to mod the drivers but no luck. 

Anyone had similar problem? 

I had the same problem, in the same situation.

I managed to solve it with the link above.

All that remains is to resolve the issue of the fn+F8/F9 functions for the brightness intensity.

37 minutes ago, LinMudorck said:

I had the same problem, in the same situation.

I managed to solve it with the link above.

All that remains is to resolve the issue of the fn+F8/F9 functions for the brightness intensity.

Sorry to interrupt you two, but can you share your core swap process. I am going to attempt it myself and would gladly hear some "do and don'ts" and get some good advice.

On 3/4/2022 at 3:36 AM, Henrik9979 said:

Sorry to interrupt you two, but can you share your core swap process. I am going to attempt it myself and would gladly hear some "do and don'ts" and get some good advice.

This is in case you have the same problem and the same equipment. We have a Motherboard P377SM-A or Sager NP377, with Video Card gtx980m. So I don't know what can happen if it's in another situation. I just found these instructions in another topic on this same site.

The instructions refer to creating a key in Regedit for Nvidea so that the brightness adjustment function works again. The guidance provided by @Prema to @i_pk_pjers_i are as follows:

1) Press Win+R

2) In Run: Type Regedit and Press Enter

3) Open regedit and go to the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/Class/{4d36e968-e325.../0000" key. Click on "0000" on the right side, a list of keys, commands and directions will appear.

3 Alternative) Find the sub-key corresponding to the NVIDIA graphics adapter. I did this by going to Find in the Edit menu and searching for "nvidia". A list of keys, commands and directions will appear with an Nvidea key checked, probably in the same folder. Can be run with Crtl+F, put Nvidia and confirm.

4) Add a new DWORD called "EnableBrightnessControl" and set the value to 1. For this you click with the second mouse button on an empty space. An option will appear "New > Dword Value (32bits)" and name this key as "EnableBrightnessControl". Once that's done, you double-click to open the key and in "Value Data:" You put "1", without quotes. And confirms.

5) Reboot and the brightness keys should work again."

Just to let you know: In the case of i_pk_pjers_i, everything seems to be working perfectly again. In my case, the fn+F8/F9 functions for brightness adjustment stopped working. But the brightness adjustment bar is working correctly. And one caveat, it is enabled for the adjustment to reach 0, be careful not to lose the screen image and not be able to readjust.

I'm not an expert if something doesn't go as expected. But in this case there is always the possibility of Formatting Windows, in case of any problem.

7 hours ago, LinMudorck said:

This is in case you have the same problem and the same equipment. We have a Motherboard P377SM-A or Sager NP377, with Video Card gtx980m. So I don't know what can happen if it's in another situation. I just found these instructions in another topic on this same site.

The instructions refer to creating a key in Regedit for Nvidea so that the brightness adjustment function works again. The guidance provided by @Prema to @i_pk_pjers_i are as follows:

1) Press Win+R

2) In Run: Type Regedit and Press Enter

3) Open regedit and go to the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/Class/{4d36e968-e325.../0000" key. Click on "0000" on the right side, a list of keys, commands and directions will appear.

3 Alternative) Find the sub-key corresponding to the NVIDIA graphics adapter. I did this by going to Find in the Edit menu and searching for "nvidia". A list of keys, commands and directions will appear with an Nvidea key checked, probably in the same folder. Can be run with Crtl+F, put Nvidia and confirm.

4) Add a new DWORD called "EnableBrightnessControl" and set the value to 1. For this you click with the second mouse button on an empty space. An option will appear "New > Dword Value (32bits)" and name this key as "EnableBrightnessControl". Once that's done, you double-click to open the key and in "Value Data:" You put "1", without quotes. And confirms.

5) Reboot and the brightness keys should work again."

Just to let you know: In the case of i_pk_pjers_i, everything seems to be working perfectly again. In my case, the fn+F8/F9 functions for brightness adjustment stopped working. But the brightness adjustment bar is working correctly. And one caveat, it is enabled for the adjustment to reach 0, be careful not to lose the screen image and not be able to readjust.

I'm not an expert if something doesn't go as expected. But in this case there is always the possibility of Formatting Windows, in case of any problem.

Oh I was talking about the core swap what temps you used, what tools and what techniques to solder and desolder.

8 hours ago, Henrik9979 said:

Oh I was talking about the core swap what temps you used, what tools and what techniques to solder and desolder.

So, its don't my case. You may have gotten confused with other members in this topic. I have little instruction on how to do these physical recoveries and I also don't have the equipment for it.

Sorry for not being able to help you with that.

Edited by LinMudorck

1 minute ago, LinMudorck said:

So, its don't my case. You may have gotten confused with other members in this topic. I have little instruction on how to do these physical recoveries and I also don't have the equipment for it.

Sorry for not being able to help you with that.

Okay so you bought and already swapped card.

8 minutes ago, Henrik9979 said:

Okay so you bought and already swapped card.

I bought the Sager NP3775 or Clevo P377SM-A already primed with gxt980m. But I was having a problem with the brightness adjustment in any version of Windows.

My problem with this laptop now is finding to buy the heatsink for VGA 2.

Edited by LinMudorck

3 minutes ago, LinMudorck said:

I bought the Sager NP3775 or Clevo P377SM-A already primed with gxt980m. But I was having a problem with the brightness adjustment in any version of Windows.

My problem with this laptop now is finding to buy the heatsink for VGA 2.

Oh! GTX 980m!!! I totally misunderstood! I thought you were talking about the GTX 980 mod where you swap the GTX 980m core with a GTX 980 core.