[HARDWARE MOD] 980M to Desktop 980 core upgrade

Khenglish

Firstly, congratumalationzsauce to @Khenglish on successfully modding a 980 onto a 980M. Especially in a P150EM.

But this thread has taught me quite a few things. And all of them boil down to "nVidia sucks". But I'm glad you have this victory =D.

The bad thing? Now I want a couple of 980s on 980M PCBs with improved mosfets and power delivery systems in my system. DAMMIT KHENGLISH

• Thumbs Up 3

Yeah, I agree @D2ultima. NVIDIA does suck. The only problem is, everything else sucks more than they do. Intel HD Graphics may as well not even exist in my world and AMD seems to love the fact that their claim to fame is being the Trash King year over year. So, we are left with varying shades of poop colored glasses to look through.

23 hours ago, Khenglish said:

Memory voltage is raised to 1.47V. I need to devise a way to cool the backside chips if I want to go higher. Right now they have nothing. Best would probably be very thick thermal pads that reach the motherboard....

The 980m pcb can probably take a gddr5 gp104 core.

The bios modding required though would be... extensive.

Clevo has backside memory cooler for MXM 3.0b style cards. Part number: 6-33-P15SL-101

GP104 package is not at all compatible with GM204, the MXM boards required a complete redesign and now boost like a million additional resistors and other stuff...

20 minutes ago, Prema said:

Clevo has backside memory cooler for MXM 3.0b style cards. Part number: 6-33-P15SL-101

GP104 package is not at all compatible with GM204, the MXM boards required a complete redesign and now boost like a million additional resistors and other stuff...

Just FYI for anyone thinking about buying that part, it won't work on the P570WM. I already tried it and the MXM slot is not tall enough. The GPU will not fit with the cooler installed because the cooler hits the motherboard before the GPU can lay down onto the mounting screw stand-offs. If you force it that will bust the MXM slot. There may be other models made that way besides the P570WM.

13 minutes ago, Prema said:

It was designed for P1x0SM, introduced with the 780M and fits his P150EM system perfectly.

Yes, I understand. I am only mentioning it in case someone decided to buy those vRAM coolers for a different model that it might not work for.

• Guest changed the title to [HARDWARE MOD] 980M to Desktop 980 core upgrade
7 hours ago, Prema said:

I don't see that cooler helping much as it doesn't give a route to airflow and doesn't increase surface area much. It also interferes with my vdroop reduction mod that I did to my 4GB 980m. Instead I ordered thick thermal pads that can reach the motherboard. This will be a significant surface area increase.

I might tape my thermocouple to a backside memory chip tonight and measure temps. I would be surprised to see less than 110C.

Edited by Khenglish

OH YEAH, way to go KHENGLISH!!!!!!!! 

you are now officially a mad scientist!!!!

You are now officially REDDIT famous! (saw this over reddit too!)

Please post more images and videos for us all to enjoy!

Edited by jcagara08
more ideas

I'm a little confused.

You succeed swapping the core from a 980m to a 980.

Now what did you achieve exactly?

Does it run exactly like a real 980 or does it still perform like a 980m?

Also is it even worth it compared to overclocking the 980m instead?

1 hour ago, Henrik9979 said:

I'm a little confused.

You succeed swapping the core from a 980m to a 980.

Now what did you achieve exactly?

Does it run exactly like a real 980 or does it still perform like a 980m?

Also is it even worth it compared to overclocking the 980m instead?

Close, but you have the "M" in the wrong spot. He used a desktop 980 core on the 980M. As far as how it runs, check out his benchmarks. Pretty amazing stuff, done by an amazing person.

On 27/7/2016 at 1:56 AM, Mr. Fox said:

Close, but you have the "M" in the wrong spot. He used a desktop 980 core on the 980M. As far as how it runs, check out his benchmarks. Pretty amazing stuff, done by an amazing person.

Thanks mr Fox.

But how is the benchmarks scores compared to a real 980? 

1 hour ago, Henrik9979 said:

Thanks mr Fox.

But how is the benchmarks scores compared to a real 980? 

It depends. My core performance matches a 980, but my memory clocks are lagging behind. Basically anything that's light on memory access its basically a 980. For anything heavy it does become significantly slower than a 980, but still much faster than a 980m.

Ex 3dmark11 is light on memory. GPU score is over 21k:

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/11445450

A 980 at the same core but 8GHz memory would be just under 22k. We're within 5%

Now firestrike is a lot heavier on memory:

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/13442500

Performance is only halfway between a 980m and 980 at the same core clocks. I can clock the core higher than that and have gotten 15500s (I can't find the result), but that's still much lower than a 980 which would be getting 17000 at the same core clocks with 8GHz memory.

Edited by Khenglish
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, Khenglish said:

It depends. My core performance matches a 980, but my memory clocks are lagging behind. Basically anything that's light on memory access its basically a 980. For anything heavy it does become significantly slower than a 980, but still much faster than a 980m.

Ex 3dmark11 is light on memory. GPU score is over 21k:

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/11445450

A 980 at the same core but 8GHz memory would be just under 22k. We're within 5%

Now firestrike is a lot heavier on memory:

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/13442500

Performance is only halfway between a 980m and 980 at the same core clocks. I can clock the core higher than that and have gotten 15500s (I can't find the result), but that's still much lower than a 980 which would be getting 17000 at the same core clocks with 8GHz memory.

so the limiting factor here is the memory speed? even though it has the same bus width as a desktop 980?

10 hours ago, str8_an94baller said:

so the limiting factor here is the memory speed? even though it has the same bus width as a desktop 980?

Yes. Memory frequency is the only advantage a desktop 980 has over my card right now. Desktop cards can run their memory between 7.8ghz and 8ghz. I can only do 6.7ghz.

I now have backside memory cooling so I'm going to raise my memory voltage a little more to the full desktop 1.5V. I am currently at 1.475V. That should get me a little over another 100MHz. I also believe I identified 1-2 weaker memory chips. I will replace these with 2 of the 980 donor card's chips. My goal is 7ghz stable. Its gonna be tough.

• Thumbs Up 2

25 minutes ago, Khenglish said:

Yes. Memory frequency is the only advantage a desktop 980 has over my card right now. Desktop cards can run their memory between 7.8ghz and 8ghz. I can only do 6.7ghz.

I now have backside memory cooling so I'm going to raise my memory voltage a little more to the full desktop 1.5V. I am currently at 1.475V. That should get me a little over another 100MHz. I also believe I identified 1-2 weaker memory chips. I will replace these with 2 of the 980 donor card's chips. My goal is 7ghz stable. Its gonna be tough.

How good that backside cooler? I don't think it'll do the job if it's passive...

On 18/07/2016 at 9:24 PM, Mr. Fox said:

I thought about that and it would be really nice in El Cazador, and @Khenglish offered it to me. He really deserves it with the amount of work he has into it. So, the plan is for him to keep it. My personal preference is to have SLI (which is why I kept those 980M cards out of the Panther) so we have a plan B to get me another 980M to match the one he fixed and tweaked for me.

What would be sweet is to buy a couple of cheap or dead 980 and have him mod two of them for me, but that might turn out to be more expense than I want right now. Dead 980 desktop GPUs are not common to find for sale, but I suppose if all of the stars aligned it could still be an option though. 

Well....

A friend of mine had 980 SLI in his desktop, went to repaste the graphics(they are stock cooler ones from Asus) and one of them simply died, I have already re-flashed the VBIOS but the only difference was in the serial number(only one byte was different, I think its the serial number), I might talk to him about donating the gpu, BUT I cant confirm that the gpu is still alive, I think it was a static shock when he took it apart, the card kinda boots, the fan spins, but no image, and only appears on the PCIe information in bios sometimes, maybe its a dead gpu..

• Thumbs Up 1

So I switched 7 of the 980's memory chips over to the 980(m?). I broke the 8th. Stable clocks improved from 6652MHz to 6884MHz.

1.2V 1502/7160 firestrike 16078 GPU score:

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/13958342

1.1875V 1495/7160 3dm11 21748 GPU score:

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/11477667

I could actually bench at 7250, but I got a failure when trying at 7200 and assumed it was the memory's fault, but I think it was really a core crash. As a result I did not push higher when the laptop was on the top of the high speed air filter. Without it I need to drop 10-15MHz on core, which likely offset the 100MHz on memory.

I am eyeing a dead 970 with Samsung memory on ebay now for 8 more 7GHz memory chips. There is a seller on ebay for the memory, but for some reason Paypal is failing somewhere between us.

• Thumbs Up 4

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
11 minutes ago, Ricardo Ran Hell said:

Impresive!!!

Are you willing to provide the service to upgrade 980M to 980 Desktop???

Since I don't really have the proper tools, this takes a lot of hours for me to do. Also I do not have an x-ray to confirm good solder connections that will hold up over time, which is usually expected when people pay for BGA work.

• Thumbs Up 1