MSI GX660 upgrade, does it worth it ?

PixelRaide

5 hours ago, PixelRaide said:

I will look at it one of this days, i know that those temps aren't normal.

Like i told you before, i think that the thermal pads i used dont let the heatsink fit properly on the chip. 

As i'm using the computer, i hope that the heat and the pressure will do their job to flat them !

will come back here anytime i have some updates about that !

For now i have an other issue to solve : The laptop isn't working when using the battery : If it's plugged, perfect.

If i unplug it, even with the battery in it, immediat shutdown.

Can't starts it if unplugged.

In Windows it tells me that the battery is charging and the LED of the touchpad is orange (or blue).

Wierd !

Do you got original heatsink for k4100m or you modified your old one?

You can remove those thermal pads just for quick test, nothing should be damaged.

Regards

4 minutes ago, BalkanBoy said:

Do you got original heatsink for k4100m or you modified your old one?

You can remove those thermal pads just for quick test, nothing should be damaged.

Regards

I have the original for the kepler cards, the one with the CPU bridge.

Will try that to see if the GPU temps are better that way, thanks for the advice ! 

8 minutes ago, PixelRaide said:

I have the original for the kepler cards, the one with the CPU bridge.

Will try that to see if the GPU temps are better that way, thanks for the advice ! 

You should go with 1.0mm thermal pads for every component, I found that ideal thickness for that laptop. I had at least 20-30 MSI, Erazer, Cyberpower and similar machines with various cards and I can't remember I ever had that high temp on GPU.

P.S. what's the CPU temp? I guess it goes 60 on idle :P

Hello,

I'm using my laptop for my studies right now so i'm only using Word and Chrome, don't have time to play so i have no time to investigate on the temps.

The Vbios that Bloetschkopf gave me is overclocked, if i downclock the frequencies to their initial state the temps are acceptable (~85°C).

In the future i certainly will take a closer look on the heatsink, the thermal paste etc. to exploite the full OC potential of the K4100M.

If you can get it for free and if you have a heatsink that fit (don't know your laptop and don't have time to search sorry !) you should catch this opportunity !

Hope you will not struggle too much with the vBios as i did as it's coming from an Alienware. At least you know that the HP USB tool and the Win98 DOS can help you [emoji4]

Good luck !

My laptop is identical to yours, only the CPU change. I will give a try then [emoji1]

Enviado do meu SM-N9005 através de Tapatalk

20 minutes ago, BalkanBoy said:

You should go with 1.0mm thermal pads for every component, I found that ideal thickness for that laptop. I had at least 20-30 MSI, Erazer, Cyberpower and similar machines with various cards and I can't remember I ever had that high temp on GPU.

P.S. what's the CPU temp? I guess it goes 60 on idle :P

I'm using those : https://www.amazon.fr/gp/aw/d/B00UYTTMNI/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1,5mm thick. 0,5mm shouldn't be the issue, doesn't it ? 

I have to admit that i was a little bit messy when i applied the thermal paste, i'm pretty confident that i put A LOT of it on the chip. Too much of it...

I only wanted it to test if the vbios flash worked xD

Will repaste it tomorrow morning and see the temps ! 

If temperatures remains that high will probably new thermal pads...

Dont you think it's because of the CPU bridge ? Additional heat is coming from the CPU directly in the GPU heatsink ? 

Just some thoughts hehe 

Will tell you the exact temp of the CPU when idle tomorrow too. Time to sleep, already spent too much Time on this baby today ! 

Any idea about my battery issue ? :D

Not editing to send you a notification :

It was the thermal paste : one part of the chip wasn't covered enough and i could see the mark of the heat, the too thin part was brownish.

Same test : max temp was 55°C on 3Dmark !

i will order new thermal pads of 1mm thick. 

Any advice on the brand ?

i'm currently flating mine with a large knife to give them a last try  !

I will edit and bring you some results of the benchmarks 

EDIT : Firestrike run : http://www.3dmark.com/fs/12530278D

Comparison VS a modern laptop with GTX 960M and i5 7300HQ currently in sales at 657.99€ : http://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/12086311/fs/12530278

It's working great !

EDIT 2 : Even if i flattened the thermal pads the temps are still higher than when i tried without them.

Same test : ~63°C

Ordered 0.5mm thick thermal pads as the original ones were really really really thin.

Will probably update tomorrow evening, i'm receiving my order tomorrow (thanks Amazon Premium !)

Edited by PixelRaide
Benchmarks

4 hours ago, PixelRaide said:

Not editing to send you a notification :

It was the thermal paste : one part of the chip wasn't covered enough and i could see the mark of the heat, the too thin part was brownish.

Same test : max temp was 55°C on 3Dmark !

i will order new thermal pads of 1mm thick. 

Any advice on the brand ?

i'm currently flating mine with a large knife to give them a last try  !

I will edit and bring you some results of the benchmarks 

EDIT : Firestrike run : http://www.3dmark.com/fs/12530278D

Comparison VS a modern laptop with GTX 960M and i5 7300HQ currently in sales at 657.99€ : http://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/12086311/fs/12530278

It's working great !

EDIT 2 : Even if i flattened the thermal pads the temps are still higher than when i tried without them.

Same test : ~63°C

Ordered 0.5mm thick thermal pads as the original ones were really really really thin.

Will probably update tomorrow evening, i'm receiving my order tomorrow (thanks Amazon Premium !)

Nice results there mate, I'm glad you found source of the problems :)

I think you should go with 1.0mm, 0.5 are too thin in this case, don't let your power mosfets and inductors overheat, you'll have a gap between them.

I'm using Arctic Cooling pads because they're available in local PC store :P

P.S. if you have fat pads you can use some solid and clean cylindric object and roll them out a bit, like making pizza :D

That's what I'm doing in a case of emergency.

P.P.S. Extreme series of cpu have 10W higher TDP. Try to put some weaker cpu and than see if it's running on battery. If not than you'll probably need new battery.

Good luck!

3 hours ago, BalkanBoy said:

Nice results there mate, I'm glad you found source of the problems :)

I think you should go with 1.0mm, 0.5 are too thin in this case, don't let your power mosfets and inductors overheat, you'll have a gap between them.

I'm using Arctic Cooling pads because they're available in local PC store :P

P.S. if you have fat pads you can use some solid and clean cylindric object and roll them out a bit, like making pizza :D

That's what I'm doing in a case of emergency.

P.P.S. Extreme series of cpu have 10W higher TDP. Try to put some weaker cpu and than see if it's running on battery. If not than you'll probably need new battery.

Good luck!

Thanks for your post ! 

As i said in my previous post i used a knife to flat them, this way they were way more thinner than initially. Even with that the temp wasn't as Good as when i didn't used them...

About the battery, it was working with this CPU until i installed the new GPU. The issue maybe linked to the TDP as you said, don't remember the TDP of the K4100M, the total May be higher than with the 5870M.

Will investigate this later !  

Using this laptop this is like being in a f**king coaster. 

Tried the Witcher 3 yesterday, running pretty well. 

The laptop was connected to the tv with extended screen to display a movie on the TV and looking for other things on my laptop browser. 

Turned off the gx660 while it was still connected to the TV.

Today i took the laptop to show it to my brother : Black screen, not even showing the MSI BIOS screen.

Tried with an HDMI cable and a VGA cable to an external screen and nothing... 

Windows is working, only the display isn't...

I'm in total despair, tired to fix this laptop...

Well, I would buy a new laptop. IMHO the upgrades of CPU and GPU weren't worth it. If you sell all of them you could buy a used laptop at Ebay.

The K4100M is a really nice card but has the double power consumption compared to 5870M (100W vs. 50W):

https://www.notebookcheck.net/nvidia-quadro-k4100m.98852.0.html

https://www.notebookcheck.net/ATI-Mobility-Radeon-HD-5870.23073.0.html

The 920XM has 55W TDP, the 720QM only 45W TDP.

100W + 55W TDP in a 15" Notebook? :whistle: The K4100M is made for 17".

Remember not only the temperature of the CPU and GPU core is important. Also the temperature of surrounding components like VRAM, capacitors and so on is very important and you can't watch with sensors. Maybe one of those components is gone...

Using this laptop this is like being in a f**king coaster. 

Tried the Witcher 3 yesterday, running pretty well. 

The laptop was connected to the tv with extended screen to display a movie on the TV and looking for other things on my laptop browser. 

Turned off the gx660 while it was still connected to the TV.

Today i took the laptop to show it to my brother : Black screen, not even showing the MSI BIOS screen.

Tried with an HDMI cable and a VGA cable to an external screen and nothing... 

Windows is working, only the display isn't...

I'm in total despair, tired to fix this laptop...

Hello, did you try with your old GPU?

Change the Battery when You have Blue Light,Battery ist finished.

On 3.5.2017 at 8:41 PM, aconix said:

Hello guys,

Did you find a solution for the temperature?

I have an MSI Gx683dxr with a gtx570m, anyone know if the GTX680m 2GB from an alienware will work? My cousin has one and he can send me for free.

Thank you,

GTX 680M don't work in GT683,only GTX 770M and GTX 765M(Clevo Vbios) Keplercards work there.

All other Keplercards don't work.

Edited by Bloetschkopf
  • Thumbs Up 1

Change the Battery when You have Blue Light,Battery ist finished.

GTX 680M don't work in GT683,only GTX 770M and GTX 765M(Clevo Vbios) Keplercards work there.

All other Keplercards don't work.

I can use any clevo v-bios? Or is there any specific v-bios?

Thank you

GTX 770M works with MSI Vbios,but not Dell GTX 770M.

MSI Vbios will brick this Card.

For GTX 765 I can't say this now,I'm in China now.

Hi Bloetschkopf,

Will a GTX 860m from a clevo P375sm-a work?

Thank you,