PASCAL-MXM & P-SERIES REFRESH

19 hours ago, Prema said:

Oh boy, my thermal pad purchase has turned out to be more time consuming than I hoped for...

All those high  Xw/mK versions appear to be very hard (naturally) and may reduce the heat-sink pressure on the DIE!?

Sarcon.pdf

15 hours ago, octiceps said:

Yes this seems to be true of aftermarket thermal pads from Fujipoly and Phobya in general, based on what I've used and read. Compared to the somewhat squishy and stretchy nature of stock thermal pads, the 6 W/mK and 11 W/mK Fujipoly I've had were hard and incompressible, with a brittle and powdery consistency when cut. I'd imagine the 17 W/mK ones aren't much different. With these, definitely a good rule of thumb to use as thin a layer as you can get away with. Apparently the XR-m is available in as thin as 0.3 mm, but I've only seen 0.5 mm for sale.

Update:

Here you go...might be hard to see in the pics, but the texture (not referring to the protective plastic) is different between the 11.0w m/k and 17.0's

c5aaf22deb4dbdbe753e84ca0c7c04ea.jpg

9adaba76c64b0bc835747edb975436a5.jpg

Left is 17.0 ....Right is 11.0

b77c00f0d5ebb8efaea00b0fd6a68e60.jpg

Edited by iunlock
  • Thumbs Up 3

4 minutes ago, Prema said:

I have a hard time convincing myself to spend the cash on the 17w pads...
Does it feel even harder and less likely to compress over uneven parts than the 11w?

Oddly enough, despite the density of the 17.0's they do seem like they have a little more give than the 11.0's. It's really odd I know....the 17.0's I would say have just a tad bit more tolerance than the 11.0's. It should be the other way around, but in this case it's not...confused yet? :P

Yea I hear ya on the cost of them things. However, I told myself that it's just one of them things where it's worth going all out in order to have pads with the maximum thermal conductivity potential. We need every drop of C's as we can get.

Edited by iunlock
  • Thumbs Up 3

Does it feel even harder and less likely to compress over uneven parts than the 11w?

From what I read before I purchased them, you get a degree to a couple degrees over the 11W/mK pads, which do cool it more than stock. Instead of stacking, purchase in the appropriate height. If you need 3-4mm, I believe there is a 13W/mK available from fujipoly (can't remember what is available on the highest end for 2mm at the moment). Because of that, it depends on the setup. If you plan on sub-zero ambient or cooling it off where the cpu or gpu goes below 10C, then you will possibly open it up more often and want to use a standard TIM like ICD, Kryonaut, gelid extreme, etc., which increases the wear on thermal pads and 11W/mK makes more sense. If you are going liquid metal and setting it up to practically never open it again, or have less wear on the pads, 17W/mK makes sense as a one time cost. Considering you'll be opening it in the future to play with new video card bios, etc., you will want to consider how quickly you have worn out pads in the past. Fujipoly seems to be durable even on the 17W/mK for opening multiple times, but it comes back to how you decide when to change pads... Don't know if that helps...

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, Prema said:

Well, I would first need to have it...and then to purchase a new camera.
My HTC ONE takes only purple pictures due to a manufacturing defect. :(

Dang that's weird . 

I think my sister's HTC10 had that issue, she got it replaced.

Seems like I'm more excited about your system lol :P j/k

7 hours ago, bloodhawk said:

Dang that's weird . 

I think my sister's HTC had that issue, she got it replaced.

Seems like I'm more excited about your system lol :P j/k

I can't believe I wrote 'HTC 10'...must have spent too much time thinking about getting one. :D

I actually still own the orginal 'ONE' (M7) and that's the one with the purple camera defect.

EDIT: I never got it fixed as it has the best screen model and a CPU which runs stable at the absolute lowest voltage.

Many times they swap phones and/or mess up the housing during repairs... :(  

I am VERY excited about the system and even changed a bunch of flights so that I'll be in a place where it can be shipped to once it's ready.:)

8 minutes ago, Prema said:

I can't believe I wrote 'HTC 10'...must have spent too much time thinking about getting one. [emoji3]

I actually still own the orginal 'ONE' (M7) and that's the one with the purple camera defect.

I am VERY excited about the system and even changed a bunch of flights so that I'll be in a place where it can be shipped to once it's ready.[emoji4]

Dear@Prema I thought that you should be the richest man in this forum, and you are talking about a broken camera [emoji1]

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

Edited by Dr. AMK

9 hours ago, Dr. AMK said:

Dear@Prema I thought that you should be the richest man in this forum, and you are talking about a broken camera emoji1.png

9 hours ago, CaerCadarn said:

@Prema just search on ebay UK for FujiPoly 14w/mk. You can grab them at a reasonable price. I did and I am very satisfied so far!

Guys guys...@Prema shouldn't have to be buying his own thermal pads. :)

@Prema, would an Amazon gift card suffice? Perhaps we can (yes speaking for us all :P ) can send some codes your way so that you can grab the best pads (FP 17.0w m/k)

Let me know if the Amazon GC would work for you and I'll send some your way so you can get some thermal pads.

You have our full support.

Update: Ah I've just realized, to avoid putting @Prema on the spot to answer directly since he's humble, we shall resort to the dedicated donation thread.

Edited by iunlock
  • Thumbs Up 1

Not wanting to steer the conversation into thermal pads only... I recently bought two FujiPoly 14w/mk pads (one 1mm and the other 0.5mm).

I've still didn't applied them due to concerns of height.

It seems that the original pads on my P651SE are 1.5mm thick, can anyone confirm the use of 1mm pads on this model? Or I'll have to buy the 1.5mm ones?

11 hours ago, skandal said:

Not wanting to steer the conversation into thermal pads only... I recently bought two FujiPoly 14w/mk pads (one 1mm and the other 0.5mm).

I've still didn't applied them due to concerns of height.

It seems that the original pads on my P651SE are 1.5mm thick, can anyone confirm the use of 1mm pads on this model? Or I'll have to buy the 1.5mm ones?

You should be able to use 1mm and 0.5mm together, but 1.5mm would likely be best.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, skandal said:

My "source" on eBay does not have the 14w/mk pads with 1.5mm. And by your comment I'm assuming you are confirming that the pad has 1.5mm of height :P

No, I was making a general statement. If you're replacing 1.5mm height pads, you should use 1.5mm of height with it.

Oh, ok. I'm not sure if the height.

Measured with a iFixit ruler it says 1mm, but the 1mm fells thinner next to the original ones. I'll wait for someone of the technical department of the retailers present in the forum to say something. I already contacted @John Keel to  see if he can confirm the height of the pads.

On 9/26/2016 at 4:03 PM, ajc9988 said:

If you need a different thickness or size pad for fujipoly, contact performance-pcs.com. They'll order a different thermal pad made by fujipoly, including the 2, 3, 4, and even 5mm pads (5mm at 6w/mK, which is good for that thickness). Florida based company that I check out since frozencpu got in a funk...

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

I have been buying stuff from performance-pcs.com for a while now. They are a great company to deal with. I think FrozenCPU is still in business, but I stopped buying from them because I did not want to lose money if the owner ends up in jail while my order is pending. Having to dispute the charges on my credit card is just an extra hassle that would be good to avoid.

On 9/27/2016 at 0:07 PM, Prema said:

I have been using Fujipoly pads for a long time. They are not mushy and soft, but if you use the correct thickness they don't really need to be as forgiving as the mushy pads. They do compress under pressure a bit, but I think their density is what makes them thermally effective. They weigh more and feel more like a type of putty than a regular thermal pad. And, they are extremely durable. I purchased Fujipoly 11W/mK thermal pads for my M18xR1 back when it had the original 6990M GPUs and they were used on 580M, 680M and 7970M GPUs, then I moved them to the M18xR2 heat sinks and used them on 780M and 980M cards and they were still good after like 4 or 5 years, LOL. I think I may still have a small chunk of that original sheet in my junk box that is still good. I think it was 2011 or 2012 when I bought that sheet.

On 9/20/2016 at 3:04 PM, octiceps said:

GeCube? Now that's a name I haven't heard in a long, long time. I remember they used to be an AIB partner for ATi (yes, ATi) Radeon desktop cards. I thought they were defunct for years.

Edit: That Taobao link still shows 2000 yuan (300 USD) for the RX 480, at least for me. Compared to the 8GB desktop card, might be the most reasonably priced MXM I've ever seen LOL. MXM card has slower memory though (7GHz like DT RX 480 4GB).

Very affordable, indeed. But, not particularly impressive performance. For playing games it is probably "good enough" but nothing to write home about if you like benching.

3DMark Top Scores for 6700K and Single GPU: http://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/9662803/fs/10316833/fs/10087665

Single.JPG

3DMark Top Scores for 6700K and Multi-GPU: http://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/9664496/fs/9969294/fs/10169621

Multi.JPG

It would be cool if Clevo would release Titan X Pascal mobile. 

They didn't cool the 1080 until now has problems, they must fix the cooling system before going to anything more powerful like the TaitanX. They should think for a new design. Just a thought.

10 hours ago, Mr. Fox said:

... I think FrozenCPU is still in business, but I stopped buying from them because I did not want to lose money if the owner ends up in jail while my order is pending. Having to dispute the charges on my credit card is just an extra hassle that would be good to avoid....

What's the problem with frozen CPU, was about to order pads from them this week?!

6 minutes ago, Prema said:

What's the problem with frozen CPU, was about to order pads from them this week?!

There may not be anything wrong. A few years ago the owner got in trouble with the law and ended up in the slammer. That caused some snags for customers with orders pending in process. They appear to be open for business, but that is all I know. I used to buy from them all the time and had no issues. I got out of the habit of buying from them when that happened. 

19 hours ago, Prema said:

18 hours ago, Mr. Fox said:

There may not be anything wrong. A few years ago the owner got in trouble with the law and ended up in the slammer. That caused some snags for customers with orders pending in process. They appear to be open for business, but that is all I know. I used to buy from them all the time and had no issues. I got out of the habit of buying from them when that happened. 

I have been ordering from them for the past 2 years, haven't had any issues. Called them once to check on an order and modify it and they promptly helped me out on a Sunday. 

Though i haven't ordered anything too expensive from them. 

Edited by bloodhawk
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, bloodhawk said:

I have been ordering from them for the past 2 years, haven't had any issues. Called them once to check on an order and modify it and they promptly helped me out on a Sunday. 

Though i haven't ordered anything too expensive from them. 

Only store i have had issues with is performance-pcs. And that was the worst experience ever.

That's good to know. I always liked FrozenCPU. I'm glad they are still doing well, so I will consider buying from them again based on your recent experience. They have some items that are difficult to find anywhere else.

I've also had nothing but good experiences with peformance-pcs.com. I had only one (out of many) order that wasn't perfect. I said something and they fixed it immediately. It ended with my complete satisfaction. What happened that ruined your experience?

17 hours ago, Mr. Fox said:

That's good to know. I always liked FrozenCPU. I'm glad they are still doing well, so I will consider buying from them again based on your recent experience.

I've also had nothing but good experiences with peformance-pcs.com. I had only one (out of many) order that wasn't perfect. I said something and they fixed it immediately. It ended with my complete satisfaction. What happened that ruined your experience?

Thats what i was expecting as well. Specially because of all the great feedback out there. Just turned into a bad experience for buying a 11g tube of Kryonaut. a few thermal pads and a few fans. 

Edited by bloodhawk
  • Thumbs Up 1

34 minutes ago, bloodhawk said:

Thats what i was expecting as well. Specially because of all the great feedback out there. Just turned into a horrendous experience for buying a 11g tube of Kryonaut. a few thermal pads and a few fans. Had to open a dispute with Paypal which refunded me within a day.

I had ordered the stuff mentioned above, and after about a week or so there were no updates. Then i sent them an email, which never got replied to even after 3-4 days. I sent then 2 more emails i think. After which i called them up. And they provided me with a tracking no. Which said it was delivered to SF even before i placed the order :S. So i called them again the following day and tried to talk about it. Maybe their rep was having a bad day or whatever, after asking about why i was given a bad tracking no., the rep just lost it.

Im sure it was maybe a one off mistake, but i got ticked off by the way they CS staff was talking to me and called me a "homeless" guy when i called them out, after getting no replies to multiple politely worded emails. 

Hmm. Maybe the owner of the place would like to look into this. I think I will ping them because employees that do not do right by customers need to be held accountable for bad behavior. It doesn't take more than a couple of times to hurt a small business.

34 minutes ago, Mr. Fox said:

Hmm. Maybe the owner of the place would like to look into this. I think I will ping them because employees that do not do right by customers need to be held accountable for bad behavior. It doesn't take more than a couple of times to hurt a small business.

Sure. It was quite a few months back though. Ill message you the details , later tonight.

• Brian unpinned this topic