PASCAL-MXM & P-SERIES REFRESH

I'd not be surprised if the "5ms" IPS panels show high Grey to Grey numbers, that's just how IPS works naturally... Watched some YouTube videos on that topic, and the general consensus was that only ridiculously expensive few external IPS panels come with "closer"  to TN response times +G2G times, but if real low response times are important to you and don't need perfect colour representation for graphical content creation, a TN panel is the way to go. Therefore, I'd love the 1440p to be TN unless the colours are as hideous as in my x7200 panel. @D2ultima

• Thumbs Up 5

17 hours ago, sirana said:

I'd not be surprised if the "5ms" IPS panels show high Grey to Grey numbers, that's just how IPS works naturally... Watched some YouTube videos on that topic, and the general consensus was that only ridiculously expensive few external IPS panels come with "closer"  to TN response times +G2G times, but if real low response times are important to you and don't need perfect colour representation for graphical content creation, a TN panel is the way to go. Therefore, I'd love the 1440p to be TN unless the colours are as hideous as in my x7200 panel. @D2ultima

Crazy high viewing angles have never been something I have found any value in. I never use any computer with the screen at an abnormally steep angle, so I find that mostly irrelevant. I've not seen any huge benefit to IPS versus a good TN either. As long as the image is sharp, colors are decent, and the refresh rate is high that's good enough to make me happy. While 1080p and 1440p are my preferred resolutions, I think anything under 1080p on a computer is unacceptable. 120Hz should be the new defacto standard for everything now like 1080p, and 60Hz should be retired as an obsolete spec.

Crazy high viewing angles have never been something I have found any value in. I never use any computer with the screen at an abnormally steep angle, so I find that mostly irrelevant. I've not seen any huge benefit to IPS versus a good TN either. As long as the image is sharp, colors are decent, and the refresh rate is high that's good enough to make me happy. While 1080p and 1440p are my preferred resolutions, I think anything under 1080p on a computer is unacceptable. 120Hz should be the new defacto standard for everything now like 1080p, and 60Hz should be retired as an obsolete spec.

I agree on viewing angles, but more so for privacy. I also agree on 60hz except for 4K as it is still evolving and video cards can barely keep up...

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

• Thumbs Up 5

@Prema do you have any pictures of the 1060? Looking at the desktop cards, the BGA seems to match the 1070. The desktop boards even have the 2 missing memory chips, knocking the bus down to 192-bit.

If the 1060 mobile pcb also has the missing memory chips... could be a fun mod assuming the pcb is smaller to fit in a regularly mxm slot.

Edited by Khenglish
  • Thumbs Up 2

@Prema do you have any pictures of the 1060? Looking at the desktop cards, the BGA seems to match the 1070. The desktop boards even have the 2 missing memory chips, knocking the bus down to 192-bit.

If the 1060 mobile pcb also has the missing memory chips... could be a fun mod assuming the pcb is smaller to fit in a regularly mxm slot.

This enough?

On 9/15/2016 at 8:13 PM, Khenglish said:

Yup.

Same pcb as the big 1080 and 1070 cards unfortunately.

Here an MP MSI 1060 (low-quality) shot with backside:

MSI_1060.jpg

1 hour ago, Prema said:

Hide contents

MSI_1060.jpg

It looks so "busy" that it makes me cross-eyed just looking at it. What a gigantic mess of stuff in such a small space. Looking at the back of it reminds me of a satellite view of a severely congested city.

madrid_downtown.jpg

6 hours ago, Prema said:

Hide contents

MSI_1060.jpg

That looks fully mxm compatible.

1060 is stronger than the 980m, but not by a lot, but at least there is some form of a pascal upgrade path for standard mxm systems. Although MSI cards are almost impossible to find.

Core swap to a gp104 won't work with only a 192bit mem interface.

Edited by Khenglish
  • Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, Mr. Fox said:

It looks so "busy" that it makes me cross-eyed just looking at it. What a gigantic mess of stuff in such a small space. Looking at the back of it reminds me of a satellite view of a severely congested city.

madrid_downtown.jpg

Great minds think alike. :D

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm an owner of an Alienware 17 R5, I saw this, is in German, but this guy was able to adapt the 980 (without M) to the notebook computer:

http://alienware-forum.de/index.php/Thread/8042-AW17-R1-3D-120Hz-GTX-980-N16E-GXX/

Please see the thread, is a hard mod but believes me it worth it! Maybe we can do the same to the 1070 or 1080...

See ya!

6 hours ago, Khenglish said:

That looks fully mxm compatible.

1060 is stronger than the 980m, but not by a lot, but at least there is some form of a pascal upgrade path for standard mxm systems. Although MSI cards are almost impossible to find.

Core swap to a gp104 won't work with only a 192bit mem interface.

It's a small upgrade for single 900M systems. But for 900M SLI, it's debatable as 1060 can't use traditional driver SLI, only DX12 MDA/LDA Explicit modes if they don't require the bridge in that particular game. So 1060 SLI would function exactly like single 1060 in the benchmarks that are popular here, unless your idea of a benchmark happens to be Ashes of the Singularity. ;)

As said in the beginning > Single MSI 1070 in original P870DM(-G) has been tested. Their single 1080 should also work just fine.

It's mostly a matter of making custom heatsinks...  

MSI 1060 is selling for about 550$ in China...

55 minutes ago, Lucifer Nymphetamine said:

@Prema So  MSI 1070  can work on P570WM3 ? 
SLI of 1070? they are same size of my mxm 3. (780m) ?

If you can cool it...

Essentially most Mobile Pascal are just OCed, UVed & optimized DIE-shrinks of existing Maxwell cards:

- GTX1070 ≈ GTX980 ≈ M5500M

- GTX1060 ≈ GTX970M ≈ M4000M

Currently the only real new addition to the mobile line-up is the GTX1080...  

9 hours ago, Meaker said:

A note about removing the lid.

Part of the benefit is the fact the IHS sits closer to the core without the glue. I would not put glue back in, especially for liquid metal.

I second the motion on that. For reasons stated (better temps) and because it is a waste of glue. Doing so serves no valid purpose. If you ever need to reapply the TIM it requires extra effort.

There is a Taiwan based company called Gecube  is making the mxm standard RX 480, 150W TDP. It was selling 2000 Yuan ~ 300 dollars before it was spotted. Now people are talking abut in a Chinese forum, the price immediately raised up to 3500 Yuan ~ 525 dollars. The company is major in making mxm standard cards for embedded systems, servers or VR backpack. I heard they are willing to make customized standard mxm card for clients if the amount is equal or greater than 200 counts.

I saw the 980M they sell, it's only 2500 Yuan ~ 380 dollars, seems like it used the 970M design with one less power phase.

Link here for RX480: https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.5-c.w4002-3808616631.15.QnwHQ8&id=538509105819

980M: https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.5-c.w4002-3808616631.17.QnwHQ8&id=538377079752

The links are from the shopping website called Taobao.com, like the Chinese version of eBay, owned by Alibaba Group (owner of AliExpress). 

The website sometimes limits what the visitors can see/buy outside of China, if you cannot view the detail of above links, you will need to select the '中国大陆' in the top left corner of the page and reopen the links again.

Update (9/27/16):

AMD just announced the Embedded RX480 MXM, it's called Radeon E9550: 

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10710/amd-announces-embedded-radeon-e9260-e9550

Tech sheet showed only 95W, not bad comparing with 1060.

Users in China tested it in AW, MSI, and DMs, it can't be detected by their machines. They are doubting the vBIOS or BIOS causing it. 

Edited by coolane
  • Thumbs Up 5

GeCube? Now that's a name I haven't heard in a long, long time. I remember they used to be an AIB partner for ATi (yes, ATi) Radeon desktop cards. I thought they were defunct for years.

Edit: That Taobao link still shows 2000 yuan (300 USD) for the RX 480, at least for me. Compared to the 8GB desktop card, might be the most reasonably priced MXM I've ever seen LOL. MXM card has slower memory though (7GHz like DT RX 480 4GB).

Edited by octiceps

• Brian unpinned this topic