PASCAL-MXM & P-SERIES REFRESH

• Guest changed the title to PASCAL-MXM+
7 hours ago, wersuss said:

If there's option to get 120hz fhd screen and 4k, which one is better?

It comes down to personal preference, but I think 4K in a tiny 17.3" screen is a waste, many won't notice a difference, but the GPU is stressed twice as much. For 27" displays and up, sure, but especially given Windows' poor scaling I would strongly advise against it. To gain 60+ FPS in 4K you need SLI 1080's anyway for games that were released last year (e.g. Witcher 3), not even to speak of 120+ FPS.

1080p 120hz with

low response time all the way (when it gets available lol)

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, sirana said:

It comes down to personal preference, but I think 4K in a tiny 17.3" screen is a waste, many won't notice a difference, but the GPU is stressed twice as much. For 27" displays and up, sure, but especially given Windows' poor scaling I would strongly advise against it. To gain 60+ FPS in 4K you need SLI 1080's anyway for games that were released last year (e.g. Witcher 3), not even to speak of 120+ FPS.

1080p 120hz with

Isn't the 1080p 120hz with low response time what on offer at the moment already?

• Thumbs Up 2

1080p 120hz with

Believe me, I tried both in the same 17 inch chassis... the difference in games is very visible and huge [emoji6]

Gesendet von meinem SM-G928F mit Tapatalk

• Thumbs Up 1

Some benches I did with the P870DM3 1080 SLI

1471635254610.jpg

1471635756004.jpg

1471635812624.jpg

1471701523476.jpg

1471631796241.jpg1471634004579.jpg

Except legacy firestrike graphics settings were maxed out at 4k. No OC.

OC is due to throttling and the way pascal operates pointless at the moment, at least without some "magic".

• Thumbs Up 1

50 minutes ago, Legendman said:

Believe me, I tried both in the same 17 inch chassis... the difference in games is very visible and huge emoji6.png

You mean 120hz is better?

Any chance of getting one of these things working in MSI GT70 2QD ? (the one that came with 980M) 1060 should fit. It has eDP display but 60Hz only. 1070 might fit as well, though heatsink will be very hard to find.

What about the power connector ? - is it something I can hardmod ?

You mean 120hz is better?

No, I mean the difference between a 4k panel and a FHD one.

120Hz seems to be either TN (which is a nogo for me) or IPS with pseudo 120Hz because the response time is to slow to offer real world advantages in 120Hz mode.

Time for 17inch 4k OLED panels I think [emoji5]

29 minutes ago, Legendman said:

120Hz seems to be either TN (which is a nogo for me) or IPS with pseudo 120Hz because the response time is to slow to offer real world advantages in 120Hz mode.

Time for 17inch 4k OLED panels I think emoji5.png

Okay which one would you choose 4K 60hz or fhd 120hz? :)

I think 4K on 17-inch sucks massively, LOL. No thank you... been there, done that... cah-cah. Nobody should spend extra money on it as a gamble. You'll either love it or hate it, but best to find out first before blowing a huge wad of cash on something that will make you hate your machine. I would say no to 4K even if it were offered as a free "upgrade" on a new machine. Asking someone else what you should do is a really bad idea here because it boils down to personal preference and individual tolerance for truly horrible scaling problems.

9 hours ago, Legendman said:

Believe me, I tried both in the same 17 inch chassis... the difference in games is very visible and huge emoji6.png

Me too... the 17 inch 75Hz screen was much better than the 4K on the Sky X9. It truly is a matter of personal preference that will be different from one person to the next. So, there is no right or wrong answer.

Time for 17inch 4k OLED panels I think [emoji5]

Why OLED and not quantum dot? Color range is there with the dot, but I can't remember their respective response times...

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, Dr. AMK said:

Dear @Prema @Mr. Fox is there is any benchmarks for CLEVO P870DM with (one) GTX 1080?

Regards,

I'm interested to see how the temps are on DM2 with a single 1080.

Im also very confused about the monitor selections on offer right now and in the near future. 

Edited by TBoneSan
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, johnksss said:

Thank you @johnksss for your kind reply, one GTX1080 is still impressive, on top of GTX980 SLI, this is really remarkable.  I'll consider the 1080 singularity as a strong option for someone like me.

My next question and concern will be about the future upgrade to SLI requirements, it will be nice or a nightmare? :02: .

Edited by Dr. AMK

@ Everyone with a Clevo mobile 1080, 1070, 1060:

Please run a GPU-Z (use only latest version) render test @ stock clocks after running FULL FAN for at least 30s (FN+1):

Record the GPU-Z log while doing so and PM me this log file (would probably miss it in this thread)!

For the Mod I want all cards to reach (and hold) the same base performance and for that I need to build a database of the currently sold stock spectrum.

I never owned an SLI system, so if anyone knows how to get the same result for the second GPU, kindly let us know!

EDIT:

UPDATE FOR SLI OWNER:

On 8/25/2016 at 1:11 AM, D2ultima said:
You need to go to nVidia Control Panel --> Manage 3D settings --> Program settings --> Add --> TechPowerUp GPU-Z (gpu-z.exe) --> SLI rendering mode change to Force Alternate Frame Rendering 2 --> Apply.
Open two GPU-Zs.
Set one to top card, set second to bottom card (I'm talking about the drop down arrow).
Set both to log to file.
Run PCI/e render test, acquire logs after 30 seconds.

1 hour ago, Dr. AMK said:

Thank you @johnksss for your kind reply, one GTX1080 is still impressive, on top of GTX980 SLI, this is really remarkable.  I'll consider the 1080 singularity as a strong option for someone like me.

My next question and concern will be about the future upgrade to SLI requirements, it will be nice or a nightmare? :02: .

What´s new Doc?

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, Lucifer Nymphetamine said:

What´s new Doc?

I didn't understand your question,

but I'm asking about the upgrade requirements, is it needs to completely change the heat sink for example to support the 2 cards for the new cooling design, I don't know if the cooling system for the model P870DM2 with one card will include the heat sink for SLI or not? is the upgrade will be only the card or needs a complete kit?

I'm not an expert like your kind self, and maybe sometime I'm asking a silly questions :) pardon me please.

maxresdefault.jpg

3 hours ago, TBoneSan said:

I'm interested to see how the temps are on DM2 with a single 1080.

Im also very confused about the monitor selections on offer right now and in the near future. 

Dear friend, just listen to @Mr. Fox advice in this regards and you will not regret that. I'm using a 4K 55" LG TV as a monitor and I can feel the 4K details practically, 17" 4K in my opinion is just a waste of money, but for rich people it will be nice to have especially if it will support the 120Hz :) 

- 4K, high gamut IPS screen if you need the additional work space or work with visual material, or if your gaming genre doesn't require fast reaction times.

- 120Hz panel if high paced gaming is what you plan to do

As for heatsinks:

- DM2 includes either two small heatsinks (1070 SLI) or the T-shape single heatsink (1080 single)

- DM3 includes the 'GRID' heatsink (1080 SLI)   

The GRID heatsink does fit into the DM2 but NOT the original P870DM model.

21 minutes ago, Prema said:

- 4K, high gamut IPS screen if you need the additional working space and work with visual material, or if your gaming genre doesn't require fast reaction times.

- 120Hz panel if high paced gaming is what you plan to do

As for heatsinks:

- DM2 includes either two small heatsinks (1070 SLI) or the T-shape single heatsink (1080 single)

- DM3 includes the 'GRID' heatsink (1080 SLI)   

The GRID heatsink does fit into the DM2 but NOT the original P870DM model.

Thank you @Prema for the explanation, So that's mean, if someone buy the  P870DM2 with one card and in the future decide to upgrade to SLI,  he will needs to buy the second GPU and the 'GRID' heat sink as well, but what kind of problems he will face? and what do you mean " The GRID heatsink does fit into the DM2 but NOT the original P870DM model."? 

The point I 'm trying to reach, can the P870DM2 owners with 1XGTX1080 upgrade their laptops to 2XGTX1080 SLI straightforward or not? if not, what they should do to have the upgrade done? please explain more.

• Brian unpinned this topic