PASCAL-MXM & P-SERIES REFRESH

I guess no-one here wants to see the P870DM2/3 mobo, right? Yeah, thought so. Otherwise I would have posted it, but if you are all good... :P

@Mr. Fox Why does the forum glitch only mess up your posts?

:Banane20:

4 hours ago, Khenglish said:

That's not memory. Those are 2 core phases. The core on the 1080 Clevo cards is 4+2. I don't get why the 2 phases have a cut down FET count on the 1070 while the 4 are unchanged. Seems like the thing to do would be to cut both, or cut neither.

The memory is the two phases with the 2 smaller .24mH inductors.

The QS 1070s still had all the FETs in place:

CLEVO_1070_SLI.jpg

1 hour ago, Meaker said:

Next week :)

Awesome! :D

Start of the 77xDM2/3 and 870DM2/3 seems weird in Europe, wrote CEG an email about the 120hz and they wrote "Not possible". Nexoc.de lists the P870DM2/3 nur no mention of a 120hz FullHD Option.

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 6P mit Tapatalk

Edited by Scerate

It's the decision of the EU importer!

There are not many direct importer left in Europe. Most have either gone bankrupt or been bought out by '...' in order to control the market.

And they are simply catering towards the biggest common denominator.

There are also HW g-sync panel models coming, so we will see...

6 hours ago, Prema said:

I guess no-one here wants to see the P870DM2/3 mobo, right? Yeah, thought so. Otherwise I would have posted it, but if you are all good... :P

@Mr. Fox Why does the forum glitch only mess up your posts?

I must be special. I saw where it messed up some others though, including @ajc9988 quotes. So, we're both special. :D

5 hours ago, Prema said:

It's the decision of the EU importer!

There are not many direct importer left in Europe. Most have either gone bankrupt or been bought out by '...' in order to control the market.

And they are simply catering towards the biggest common denominator.

Wow, that sounds bad. Sad to hear that. Maybe enough people will refuse to accept less anything less than 120Hz and they'll have to get their act together if they want to sell any new laptops. That would be nice to see.

As we have all seen from the plethora of BGA turdbooks that have flooded the market, quantity always trumps quality... The lowest common denominator is sometimes the most popular. Kind of like selling billions of crappy McDonald's Happy Meals versus truly delicious gourmet burgers from Red Robin or Fuddruckers in much smaller numbers. You can get heart disease, high blood pressure and cholesterol problems for a whole lot less money from Mickey D's.  

@Prema, I know this is not a good question at this busy time but just to clear out ambiguity, The EC signal that BIOS needs to fire the cards can it be done from a vBIOS ? or an sBIOS mod/update is a must ? If its the latter then we all Alienware owners can stop thinking about getting that 1060/Pascal cards once and for all. Thank you.

Edited by Ashtrix
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, wersuss said:

Hi, which screen of P775 with gtx1080 better 4K or FHD? Is there a point getting 4K since it's 17 inch screen? Or rather Full HD?

What I attempted to post a couple of times was, do not rely on feedback from others about 4K. This is too personal and it is something you need to decide for yourself. Some people love it and others are passionate about their hatred for 4K screens on laptops. I can tell you I have used several super nice 4K laptops and I absolutely despise 4K. If it was offered to me as a free upgrade I would reject it. But, others love it. See if you can borrow someone's 4K laptop for a week, or buy the cheapest one you can find from a local store with a liberal return policy so you can get your money back after deciding what your feelings are about it.

---Edit---

Yay! I finally worked, LOL. Third try was the charm. :D

Edited by Guest

On 8/19/2016 at 4:55 AM, Ashtrix said:

@Prema, I know this is not a good question at this busy time but just to clear out ambiguity, The EC signal that BIOS needs to fire the cards can it be done from a vBIOS ? or an sBIOS mod/update is a must ? If its the latter then we all Alienware owners can stop thinking about getting that 1060/Pascal cards once and for all. Thank you.

It's a Hardware Mod to the GPU.

1 hour ago, Red Line said:

@Prema Any chance you can share a picture of P870DM3 mobo? Any way to compare it to the original P870DM?) Tnx

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Check the OP. ;)

5 hours ago, Mr. Fox said:

What I attempted to post a couple of times was, do not rely on feedback from others about 4K. This is too personal and it is something you need to decide for yourself. Some people love it and others are passionate about their hatred for 4K screens on laptops. I can tell you I have used several super nice 4K laptops and I absolutely despise 4K. If it was offered to me as a free upgrade I would reject it. But, others love it. See if you can borrow someone's 4K laptop for a week, or buy the cheapest one you can find from a local store with a liberal return policy so you can get your money back after deciding what your feelings are about it.

---Edit---

Yay! I finally worked, LOL. Third try was the charm. :D

Thank you for response. :) Let's say if both models are at same price with single gtx1080 graphics card, is it worth to take it with 4K screen , or Full HD? Is full HD panel on P775 120hz, maybe it's better than 4K 60hz ?

16 minutes ago, wersuss said:

Thank you for response. :) Let's say if both models are at same price with single gtx1080 graphics card, is it worth to take it with 4K screen , or Full HD? Is full HD panel on P775 120hz, maybe it's better than 4K 60hz ?

The only problem is, no reseller we found offers 120hz displays for the P775 (aside of metabox which lists as "available soon"). I'd get a FHD, for me there's no point in 4K in a screen that small.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, sirana said:

The only problem is, no reseller we found offers 120hz displays for the P775 (aside of metabox which lists as "available soon"). I'd get a FHD, for me there's no point in 4K in a screen that small.

Really, then maybe it's better to wait for 120hz panel. 

4 hours ago, sirana said:

Agree. 

1 hour ago, wersuss said:

Really, then maybe it's better to wait for 120hz panel. 

If you're not pressed for time or going nuts waiting, yes... Good idea. Plus, if you wait you're going to have the opportunity to hear more about what folks love and hate about the same model. More information about what you are planning to spend a lot of money on before finalizing the decision can only be to your advantage. Even then bad things you never could have anticipated can still happen... Like what just happened to thousands of P870DM-G owners that Clevo left for dead with no path to 1080 SLI.

While I do like higher refresh rates, I like higher screen res even more. I plugged my laptop into a 2560x1600 screen at work and loved the extra detail despite the lower refresh rate and worse response times. The currently plan is to route my external DP port internally, and run a 2880x1620 display. 4 year old ivy bridge is still competitive, so wait for kaby lake and zen before considering updating the entire platform. If I can somehow snag a cheap MSI 1080 I'll do that, but otherwise no more GPU upgrades on the P150em.

• Thumbs Up 5

2 minutes ago, Dr. AMK said:

This is really impressive, I never saw such a score before. WoW

Pretty cool, considering that's all still with stock firmware and a bunch of throttle... 

7 minutes ago, Prema said:

Pretty cool, considering that's all still with stock firmware and a bunch of throttle... 

We should call this beast a "Super Computer" he must have the title after the P570WM with no competitors at all, and with your perfect BIOS @Prema it will be even more powerful and beautiful as well.

I do not know where will modern technologies take us, but undoubtedly to wonderful place. We are expecting some cooperation between Samsung and nVidia to do something crazy in the near future, just wait and see.

Edited by Dr. AMK
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Prema said:

Yeah, great score in spite of it being crippled. Too bad they have to make things gimped from the start. That's what happens we people are OK with status quo and willing to call something "good enough" and settle for whatever they are given. Good is definitely the enemy of great. We are truly blessed to have you fixing all of their screw-ups and hard failures.

That makes yesterday's best seem pretty lousy, and after you fix everything they left screwed up it will look even more lousy.

http://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/9794614/fs/8291254 

Would be interesting to see how lame one 1080 makes this score look...

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/14272653

@Prema

Do you know if heatsinks on P775DM3 differ if you choose 1060/1070 or 1080 GPU? I remember first revision P775DM had thicker HS only with GTX 980 in it.

And why there's a 400g weight difference between FHD and 4K panels? Is this 4K display really that thick/heavy?

Thanks

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/15/2016 at 11:53 PM, Papusan said:

THEY ARE ALREADY officially the Apple of the PC gaming world a LONG TIME. Sorry, but Mr. Azor wanted it so bad that he jumped on the train early 2015!! Evga, Razer and Aw will compete against each other with single 1070.

For every ivy league college or pro football team there are at least a half dozen elementary school flag football teams. This latter is an example of the league where Gigabyte, MSI, ASUS, EVGA, Razer, Acer and Alienware laptop will complete. Everyone gets a trophy just for showing up.

• Guest changed the title to PASCAL-MXM+
  • Brian unpinned this topic