PASCAL-MXM & P-SERIES REFRESH

31 minutes ago, Georgel said:

Why are they using 2x230W instead of 2x330W for P870 with single 1080?

That cooling is HUGE! Amazing :hyper:

I know what the next toy should be for me. 

Standard AC Adapter for 1080 is 330W (dual) and for 1070 is 230W (dual).

26 minutes ago, Red Line said:

@Prema

So all the fans on P870DM2/DM3 single and dual configs are 12v?

Also, do you know if MSI 120hz (wich has g-sync, btw) is the same ahva used in clevo?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The FANs in P870DM2/3, P775DM2/3 AND P750DM2 are all identical 12v models.

They decreased Master FAN on P870DM-refresh in order to be able to move the Master MXM slot and at the same time maintain GPU upgrade-ability (single GPU) for the current model.   

I don't know about the MSI screen. I have seen a 120Hz TN model mentioned during Computex from both companies...

Are the new fans at least thicker in the new model, I mean thicker blades or are they the exact same dimension than the middle fan in the old model? 

I mean the whole unit is a little bit thicker I heard, so there should be room for thicker fans, like the ones used in the new MSI GT73VR for example.

As I understand the advantage of 12v is it can spin faster but is also more noisy. I liked the master fan in the old model :sad:

Edited by Legendman

• Founder

Looks like our friends at EVOC have their product page ready to go: http://www.hidevolution.com/evoc-p650rp6-15-6-custom-built-gaming-laptop-w-nvidia-gtx-1060-w-g-sync.html

@Ted-EVOC @paladin44 the price for the 1060 one seems reasonable enough. This is almost tempting me to get a nice and thin 1060 based notebook to replace my aging Sony

• Thumbs Up 3

GTX 1080, 1070, 1060 are electrically not compatible with Maxwell board designs. The successor of GTX965 & GTX960 are. So instead of redesigning the entire P640 board they just wait for the Pascal counterparts...

The P640 contained the 970M, didn't it? And the idea here is that the 1060 was the successor to that GPU.

I'm actually really disappointed... never mind, no point worrying over a generation that I'll probably never buy.

36 minutes ago, SRSR333 said:

The P640 contained the 970M, didn't it? And the idea here is that the 1060 was the successor to that GPU.

I'm actually really disappointed... never mind, no point worrying over a generation that I'll probably never buy.

They can't re-use the 970M (P640RE) design for 1060 but the 965M (P640RF) design for it's pascal counterpart, hence they have to wait for NVIDIA or redesign the entire board... 

Personally I would like to see them making a 13-14" system with mux and TB3...but this is just me dreaming and not something I would know about.

7 minutes ago, Prema said:
37 minutes ago, SRSR333 said:

They can't re-use the 970M (P640RE) design for 1060 but the 965M (P640RF) design for it's pascal counterpart, hence they have to wait for NVIDIA or redesign the entire board... 

Hm... OK, you're the master here, so I take your word for it. So basically you're implying here that the P640 refresh will take a performance hit. Guess I should've predicted that.

Sadly I was told by CEG that there won't be any 120hz clevo models available in Europe... I would love to buy from HID if it wasn't for the import tax.

Echoing some others here:

1. How well does the P775 cool a single 1080 in comparison to the P870DM2 and - DM3?

2. Is there a performance difference between the models if all run a single 1080?

3. The P775 comes with a single 330W if configured with 1080, how about the P870DM2 and - DM3? I know Prema said the standard configuration is 2x 230W for 1070 and 2x 330W for 1080, but that hopefully only refers to SLI, no?

Edited by sirana

11 minutes ago, sirana said:

Sadly I was told by CEG that there won't be any 120hz clevo models available in Europe... I would love to buy from HID if it wasn't for the import tax.

Echoing some others here:

1. How well does the P775 cool a single 1080 in comparison to the P870DM2 and - DM3?

2. Is there a performance difference between the models if all run a single 1080?

3. The P775 comes with a single 330W if configured with 1080, how about the P870DM2 and - DM3? I know Prema said the standard configuration is 2x 230W for 1070 and 2x 330W for 1080, but that hopefully only refers to SLI, no?

What 120hz screens do you mean, the Full HD or the 4k ones, i'm already talking with my reseller about the P775DM3-G with 1080, so i can actually try to get rid of my Desktop PC which works extremely well now after delidding the 3770k but still the 1080 should be almost or as fast as my 980TI @ 1450/3900

14 minutes ago, Scerate said:

What 120hz screens do you mean, the Full HD or the 4k ones, i'm already talking with my reseller about the P775DM3-G with 1080, so i can actually try to get rid of my Desktop PC which works extremely well now after delidding the 3770k but still the 1080 should be almost or as fast as my 980TI @ 1450/3900

The 1080p screens, yet the guy I talked to did not specify if this doesn't also refer to the 4K screens.

• Thumbs Up 1

sounds weird tbh, never heard of US/EU differences between screens besides the P770/P771 grill exhaust style, would be really surprising, i actually wanted the 120hz FullHD TN and could live without that useless GSYNC.

5 minutes ago, Scerate said:

sounds weird tbh, never heard of US/EU differences between screens besides the P770/P771 grill exhaust style, would be really surprising, i actually wanted the 120hz FullHD TN and could live without that useless GSYNC.

I know, same counts for me. Anyway I won't pull the trigger before I get a 120hz option somewhere.

• Thumbs Up 1

same here without no 120hz no new NB, besides the fact a friend of mine is actually buying my NB from me too :rofl:, don't even know if i could technically upgrade my current P771DM-G to the 120hz screen, the IPS is nice and all but i prefer the low response time from TN over good colours, if i play on my NB i mostly play on LANs and some training matches of Overwatch and don't wanna carry my monitor around all the time lol

• Thumbs Up 1

i hate to be negative, but this is kinda of slap on the face for p870dmg owners (me).   I bought clevo because its known to be upgradable... thats the only reason not to buy a laptop with soldered components...

Prema,

The p870dmg had a , I call it design flaw,  When using 980m sli on the cooling system.  One card would run 10c hotter so that would make it pretty unoverclockable due to temps on the slave card unless u had a cooling pad.

Do you know if these new systems have a more of a EVEN cooler? 

Also, looks like the fans are a bit different, anyway to swap those fans to an older p870dm with 980m sli for better slave card cooling??

thanks!

6 hours ago, Prema said:

SLI is not possible on P870DM with any of the cards that I have seen.

The new cards come with an EC communication signal for the new power ports (No signal no boot). This had to be 'tricked' in older models in order for the cards to fire up...

Does this mean we cannot do SLI even with the 1070 MSI SLI models?

@Prema

Thanks) Have another one... So if reseller sells P775 or P870 with 120Hz screen this means the gpu's in there are not G-Sync capable or they are all the same this time around? Any chance a 120Hz LCD laptop can be upgraded to 4K G-sync panel (including P670RS which i guess is still 75Hz)?

Regards

Any idea why the 1070 is available for the P750DM2, but not the 1080? Will the 1080 be available at some point?

Also are the 15.6" models getting 120Hz screens, or just the 17.3s?

Aorus is prepating some nice 120Hz 15.6" FullHD and 120Hz 17.3" 1440p g-sync screens, so i guess the other vendors follows the suit later on. Though, not clear if they are IPS.

Any idea why the 1070 is available for the P750DM2, but not the 1080? Will the 1080 be available at some point?

Also are the 15.6" models getting 120Hz screens, or just the 17.3s?

Most likely heat. Check out the p775DM3 heatsink and compare that to the new 750dm2! The extra heat offload with the extra pipes seem to be part of it, potentially... Either that or electrical specs...

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

20 minutes ago, ajc9988 said:

Most likely heat. Check out the p775DM3 heatsink and compare that to the new 750dm2! The extra heat offload with the extra pipes seem to be part of it, potentially... Either that or electrical specs...

The middle 8mm pipes both CPU and GPU side of the 775DM3 only cover half the radiator.

It is nice to see clevo to start to use big 8mm pipes at least.

The middle 8mm pipes both CPU and GPU side of the 775DM3 only cover half the radiator.

It is nice to see clevo to start to use big 8mm pipes at least.

I noticed and wondered about that too. I don't know if staffing like that distributed the heat more evenly over the fin array. Time will tell...

8 hours ago, Prema said:

The ES/QS 1070 boards had all MOSFETs soldered, just like its bigger brother. The MP boards are missing two.

Apart from that difference it's just GDDR5 Vs. GDDR5x and some smaller components.

Clevo wants to use this MXM format across the board going forward...   

AUO B173HAN01.2 AHVA (IPS-ish)

The new cards come with an EC communication signal for the new power ports (No signal no boot). This had to be 'tricked' in older models in order for the cards to fire up...

That is a good news so so speak, standard form factor is always welcome.

I have seen that panel on sale on Aliexpress so many times , if i knew it was 120hz i would have bought to experiment long time back xD 

At least it should be compatible using the normal 30 pin eDP cable.  Now i cant seem to find it anywhere, there were 3-4 listings of the x.2 revision last month.

That is somewhat alarming, and makes me skeptical if it will be possible to use it our systems even with a cable mod. :(

Edited by bloodhawk

8 hours ago, D2ultima said:

So, I was right? This new design will be Clevo's new "standard" so later models should be upgrade-able even though MXM standard design is dead? Kind of like a turning point? I was hoping this would be the case. Sucks for previous gen owners, but that'd leave some hope on the table.

Hehehe. Headphones, sir. Who cares about a little jet engine ;). But even so, that's a huge discrepancy. I at least hope that was an outlier and it'll get down to 70-75 if the other is ~64c (hopefully a bad paste job or whatnot). I hope to see more! I hope you get your review unit soon =D.

This sounds good and bad at the same time, but as long as a 4.5GHz or higher chip can handle the load I'm good. I don't care if max fans are required, as long as I can heavily stress both (gaming at 120fps while running some solid CPU encoding, either livestreaming or recording) and be fine, I'll be good with it =D.

Im sure a little bit of @Prema caressing the EC will fix that. ;)

• Thumbs Up 1

Holy smokes the forums are on fire today!

I am not sure what I am looking at.  Going to take a while to digest it all.   Funny thing is I was playing on y M18x R2 with 680M SLI and thinking about Pascal.  It does not look like it will get a 1080M upgrade, correct?

• Thumbs Up 1

• Guest changed the title to PASCAL-MXM+
  • Brian unpinned this topic