Despite AMD RX480's known issues, do you plan to pick one up?

Despite AMD RX480's known issues, do you plan to pick one up?  

167 members have voted

1. 1. Will you purchase an AMD RX 480?

• Yes I plan to get one or more reference RX 480s.
    • I will wait on AIB RX 480 before I purchase one.
    • I'll compare the NVIDIA 1060 with it before I decide on which to purchase.
    • No, I don't plan to purchase it.
    • I'm going to get the NVIDIA 1060 instead.

• Founder

So the RX 480 has issues with PCI-E power draw and AMD is supposed to release a driver level fix any day now that remedies that problem albeit at a slight performance cost. By default, this fix will be off and users can toggle it using a "compatibility" button in the UI. AMD claims they will make up for that slight performance loss with driver optimizations for games. The reference cards also tend to run on the hotter side and have nearly no overclocking headroom (5-6% max). 

With that in mind, will you still consider getting one for your PC or are you waiting on NVIDIA to drop the GTX 1060? 

I haven't seen a compelling reason to purchase anything from AMD yet, and considering their track record I would want to see more that theoretical marketing hype and specs. I'd need to see a mountain of evidence produced by overclocking enthusiast end-users that I know are reliable before I would spend any money on an AMD product.

But, 1060 would not be an option either. I've never cared too much about cost to performance ratio, just want the best and baddest even if the ratio is poor. I generally stick with the 'go big or go home' and 'all or nothing' approach. I've never been interested in owning a second fiddle budget gamer GPU, but that's just my personal preference.

• Founder
On 7/8/2016 at 5:08 AM, Mr. Fox said:

I haven't seen a compelling reason to purchase anything from AMD yet, and considering their track record I would want to see more that theoretical marketing hype and specs. I'd need to see a mountain of evidence produced by overclocking enthusiast end-users that I know are reliable before I would spend any money on an AMD product.

But, 1060 would not be an option either. I've never cared too much about cost to performance ratio, just want the best and baddest even if the ratio is poor. I generally stick with the 'go big or go home' and 'all or nothing' approach. I've never been interested in owning a second fiddle budget gamer GPU, but that's just my personal preference.

The 1060 will be one of those GPUs featured in BGA notebooks that some may find compelling because they are thin and light. Probably good for college students and business people on the move but not really built for hardcore enthusiasts.

• 3 weeks later...

I just helped a friend of mine build a new PC and initially he bought the RX 480 but after the news about the 1060 I told him to return the 480. I felt that the lower temperatures and better performance were worth the $10 over the blower style 480. Even after all this time there are still no aftermarket 480 cards yet. Whats up with that?

• Thumbs Up 1

Perhaps not enough demand or interest with AMD being the less desirable product to justify spending any extra for more than a simple reference design. I'm curious, is he on a tight budget? Or, just doesn't want to spend more for an RX 490 or 1080 GPU? If so, I can certainly understand staying within one's means, which is smart, but if not it would seem really odd to not hold out and wait for the flagship beast GPU option. The other drawback to going with AMD is, if what I have read is accurate, little or no overclocking capabilities exist with the new Radeon cards. It that is true, owning one would really suck.

• Founder

Well there isn't even a 490 yet as AMD is waiting on Vega so their top card is Fury X which gets annihilated by Pascal. Now nvidia is rolling out Titan X 2016 which just adds insult to injury. Basically AMD is no longer in the game, they've been left in the dust by nvidia.

2 hours ago, Brian said:

Well there isn't even a 490 yet as AMD is waiting on Vega so their top card is Fury X which gets annihilated by Pascal. Now nvidia is rolling out Titan X 2016 which just adds insult to injury. Basically AMD is no longer in the game, they've been left in the dust by nvidia.

So déjà vu, right? LOL... another year of AMD asleep at the wheel and coming to the table with a losing product only suitable for value shoppers. That's truly a shame. The shysters at NVIDIA do not deserve to win by forfeit year-over-year.

• Founder
27 minutes ago, Mr. Fox said:

So déjà vu, right? LOL... another year of AMD asleep at the wheel and coming to the table with a losing product only suitable for value shoppers. That's truly a shame. The shysters at NVIDIA do not deserve to win by forfeit year-over-year.

Have you seen the price of the new Titan X? Starting at a low price of only $1200.. :16_002: I don't know why anyone even mentions AMD in the same sentence as NVIDIA anymore because they really aren't competitors, not at the high end of the video card spectrum anyway. Sure the RX 480 can compete with the 1060 but who really gives a shit about that? Vega will show up one of these days and probably still fall short of the 1080 let alone the Titan X and up coming 1080 Ti. AMD is doing the same thing with respect to notebooks, offering low end shit tier solutions for budget notebooks that nobody really cares about. Oh yeah, rumors have it NVIDIA has moved up Volta to May 2017, if that's true, AMD is truly fucked. 

Waiting for a 490 or getting a 1070 would be good but I thought they would be way overkill. He has a 1080 60hz monitor and the 1060 will be great for that. Anything higher would only be worthwhile on a 1080p monitor if your trying to push a 144hz panel.

2 hours ago, Brian said:

Have you seen the price of the new Titan X? Starting at a low price of only $1200.. :16_002: I don't know why anyone even mentions AMD in the same sentence as NVIDIA anymore because they really aren't competitors, not at the high end of the video card spectrum anyway. Sure the RX 480 can compete with the 1060 but who really gives a shit about that? Vega will show up one of these days and probably still fall short of the 1080 let alone the Titan X and up coming 1080 Ti. AMD is doing the same thing with respect to notebooks, offering low end shit tier solutions for budget notebooks that nobody really cares about. Oh yeah, rumors have it NVIDIA has moved up Volta to May 2017, if that's true, AMD is truly fucked. 

Well said, Brother Brian.

1 hour ago, jakoob26 said:

Waiting for a 490 or getting a 1070 would be good but I thought they would be way overkill. He has a 1080 60hz monitor and the 1060 will be great for that. Anything higher would only be worthwhile on a 1080p monitor if your trying to push a 144hz panel.

Or, if you love extreme overclocked benching it would be worthwhile for that. I'm about 90% overclock/bencher fanboy and about 10% gamer-boy.

Just now, Mr. Fox said:

Well said, Brother Brian.

Or, if you love extreme overclocked benching it would be worthwhile for that. I'm about 90% overclock/bencher fanboy and about 10% gamer-boy.

Actually didn't think about that lol. I guess your right

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Old School said:

This card is a great bang for buck, its extremely overpriced where I live at the moment, might pick one up when prices drop.

Maybe there is a typo in you comment, but I don't understand how something extremely overpriced can offer good bang for buck. Can you explain what you mean? Maybe I am missing an important point.

On 10/08/2016 at 11:01 PM, Mr. Fox said:

Maybe there is a typo in you comment, but I don't understand how something extremely overpriced can offer good bang for buck. Can you explain what you mean? Maybe I am missing an important point.

MSRP is meant to be  US $199, which is around 255-260 here. In Aus the cheapest reference card starts at 300, some AIB cards are $450-500

• 4 months later...

Nope.. sticking with my R9 290X and considering buying a second one. AMD Doesn't offer a 8GB GPU that's faster than my sapphire vapor-x 290X yet. And nvidia 8GB cards are more than twice the price of a used 290X 8GB card.

So not really a lot of choice there lately.

• 4 months later...
On 17.12.2016 at 11:22 AM, Kithylin said:

Nope.. sticking with my R9 290X and considering buying a second one. AMD Doesn't offer a 8GB GPU that's faster than my sapphire vapor-x 290X yet. And nvidia 8GB cards are more than twice the price of a used 290X 8GB card.

So not really a lot of choice there lately.

I had a 290 non-X prior to upgrading (it had some issues but was working).

I ended up with a 1060 because of the consumption in idle with multiple monitors...
Considering the 290 consumes shittons of energy compared to the 480 I would definitely get on instead of a second 290X o.o