[BRICKED]P375SM - BIOS LOCATION

andrewff2

Hey guys, i'm thinking does anyone of you have any image locating where is the bios chip of the p375sm? i did a bad flash bricked my notebook (again) and the fn+b method did not work :/

I will use a programmer to reflash the official bios and solder this so i can fiddle with the bios without problems!

4 minutes ago, Khenglish said:

I boxed the firmware chips in red:

QtmN3Xv.jpg

Only you to help me out man!!! Thanks a lot, by the way one is the EC and the other is the BIOS ok? do you know wich one is who?

EC BIOS usually stored within the system BIOS on Clevo systems.

Usually Clevo does firmware by having the flash descriptor and BIOS on one chip, and ME FW on the other. This is not what everyone does and maybe Clevo did something different on your motherboard. BIOS can even be split across both chips. Dell does that.

I'd pull whatever chip is larger. Check the image vs your backup to see if its start matches your backup's start. This likely has the full BIOS so flash that with your backup image. If it doesn't work then flash the smaller chip with the lower part of the backup and then it will work.

If you don't have a backup image I'm pretty sure you're screwed. BIOS updates that are downloaded are not runnable. They don't have NVRAM configured properly, so a functional NVRAM must already be in place.

so I am screwed!! lol because i dont have the backup image :D i used prema biosmod and i was fiddling with that microcode hack to overclock the CPU, after i flashed it well black screen :D

now iam thinking what can i do to fix it up.... because i have the programmer but not the original img :/

Well i was using premabiosmod so i don´t know if i just dl the file and try to flash in programmer will work... Any ideas?

Edited by andrewff2

17 hours ago, Khenglish said:

EC BIOS usually stored within the system BIOS on Clevo systems.

Usually Clevo does firmware by having the flash descriptor and BIOS on one chip, and ME FW on the other. This is not what everyone does and maybe Clevo did something different on your motherboard. BIOS can even be split across both chips. Dell does that.

I'd pull whatever chip is larger. Check the image vs your backup to see if its start matches your backup's start. This likely has the full BIOS so flash that with your backup image. If it doesn't work then flash the smaller chip with the lower part of the backup and then it will work.

If you don't have a backup image I'm pretty sure you're screwed. BIOS updates that are downloaded are not runnable. They don't have NVRAM configured properly, so a functional NVRAM must already be in place.

I could find someone who has the same notebook and then extract the bios from it and try to flash the image extracted to the correspondent chip!!!

You have any idea on how to extract the bios? any tools that would do the work?

Ugh no backup. Yeah try flashing on a Prema bios download. Don't have high hopes though. DON'T LOSE THE DUMPED IMAGE. This will have a valid NVRAM. We just need to find it.

There's no trick to extracting the BIOS. You just open the dump in a hex editor. Take the dumps from both chips and copy-paste one dump into the other. You now have a full firmware image.

I'm assuming flashing a Prema download won't work. Open the downloaded BIOS in a hex editor and record the starting sequence. Search for this in the dump, then overwrite the dump with the downloaded BIOS starting at this location. Put chips back in and cross fingers. You may only have to pull one chip if the BIOS is fully on that chip. AGAIN DON'T LOSE THE DUMPED IMAGE.

There probably is a checksum, so make sure you edit the padding at the end of the BIOS to still pass checksum. I have no idea why BIOS often has a checksum because rejecting the BIOS means nothing works... but they do that.

If it doesn't work, search the dump vs the download for differences in the BIOS section. You should get 2 major areas that are different. One is the microcode, and the other is the NVRAM. The dump will have data in the NVRAM while the download will likely be all 0s. Mix in parts of the download into the dump and maybe you'll get lucky. Again don't forget the checksum.

If you download and fully flash someone else's firmware image you will lose your windows key and steal theirs btw.

Edited by Khenglish