P151em+980M Help !

qiweiyu11

Hi guys, 

I recently got one gtx 980M from my friend to replace my old 680M and I tried to put it into my P151em. However, the bios showed "empty" after installing it. With modding . inf , I successfully installed the driver 365.19.  But the info in gpu-z seems wired. 

1. no Directcompute !

2. cant run render test which is blank 

Besides, I cant use Aero on Win7 any more, saying it is not compatible with the driver.  And I also cant run 3dmark 11 ( saying not support Dx 11) and cant play witcher 3, which is a diaster....

I am using bios Prema 17 11 v2 .

Any method to make it normal so that I can install any driver I want ?

Thank you !!

QQ截图20160706014125.png

5 hours ago, Khenglish said:

36x series drivers don't run correctly on the v2 BIOS. You need to step back to a 358 series driver.

tryed 358.59 , still the same problem...

5 hours ago, chap said:

read more about prema bios and stuff.

did u first get the 980m and then think about how 2 get it 2 work? .--.

I got it from my friend occationally so I didnt get the work prepared well but I checked the forum, saying it should work on 151em. 

It should work in a P151EM. It works in the P150EM. The P151EM is off the same line as the P150EM, but is missing a power phase on the CPU and CPU overclocking support. GPU support is unchanged.

I'd try wiping all video drivers then running DDU. Install the intel driver, then the Nvidia driver. Upgrading GPUs on optimus/enduro systems sometimes has quirks, so there's likely some info leftover specific to the 680m that's messing up the 980m.

44 minutes ago, Khenglish said:

It should work in a P151EM. It works in the P150EM. The P151EM is off the same line as the P150EM, but is missing a power phase on the CPU and CPU overclocking support. GPU support is unchanged.

I'd try wiping all video drivers then running DDU. Install the intel driver, then the Nvidia driver. Upgrading GPUs on optimus/enduro systems sometimes has quirks, so there's likely some info leftover specific to the 680m that's messing up the 980m.

It still doesnt work correctly after wiping and reinstalling drivers. I can run render test on gpuz now but 3dmark 11 is not working as before, saying my card only support D10....

Thank you  for your help  anyway !

1 hour ago, qiweiyu11 said:

It still doesnt work correctly after wiping and reinstalling drivers. I can run render test on gpuz now but 3dmark 11 is not working as before, saying my card only support D10....

Thank you  for your help  anyway !

Are you using a Sandy Bridge CPU? The integrated graphics on those only supports DX10, so maybe you ran the render test on the iGPU and the 980m is not running?

Just now, Khenglish said:

Are you using a Sandy Bridge CPU? The integrated graphics on those only supports DX10, so maybe you ran the render test on the iGPU and the 980m is not running?

you are right. the 980m seems not work at this driver version. so what should I do now ?

9 minutes ago, Khenglish said:

You tried a 358 driver with a .inf mod?

Also you enabled the 980m in the nvidia control panel?

ya I am using 358.50 version right now. I enable the 980m in the panel but nothing changed.

1.png

Just now, Khenglish said:

This is weird. On a P150EM the 980m would be running now.

Also weird is that Aero isn't running. The HD3000 supports that by itself, so the 980m shouldn't break that.

I'm out of ideas other than a full windows reinstall.

the aero is back now after I used the driver version before 360. 

Another thing is I cant flash prema vbios -g ZM on my 980M, It turns out error and closed automatically.

6 minutes ago, Khenglish said:

This is weird. On a P150EM the 980m would be running now.

Also weird is that Aero isn't running. The HD3000 supports that by itself, so the 980m shouldn't break that.

I'm out of ideas other than a full windows reinstall.

How to check my card is bricked or not ?

2 minutes ago, Khenglish said:

The card sounds ok. If it was bad you wouldn't be able to open the nvidia control panel.

Ya I can play dota2 without any problem and with better fps than 680m.  Btw, do you know if it is possible to pay for support from eurocom (because I heard that prema teamed with them to build v3 bios to make  all em models have 980m work correctly under any drivers), even though I didnt get this card from them. :P

2 hours ago, Khenglish said:

The card sounds ok. If it was bad you wouldn't be able to open the nvidia control panel.

Ya I can play dota2 without any problem and with better fps than 680m.  Btw, do you know if it is possible to pay for support from eurocom (because I heard that prema teamed with them to build v3 bios to make  all em models have 980m work correctly under any drivers), even though I didnt get this card from them. :P

Trying to work out on prema vbios v2. Does this mean I cant flash this vbios on my card ?

2.png

That warning means nothing in your case. Flash away.

Have you tried reinstalling directx?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109

I tried it but 3dmark 11 still cant work correctly ( saying my adapter only supports D10 ).  I think the problem might lie in missing the switch function between two gpus. Therefoer, I still cant play witcher 3. In heroes of storm, 980m is not recognized ( only HD 3000 available ). Only dota2 can be played normally.  

Besides, I also flashed prema 980m-g 8g ZM v2 vbios on my card. But the problem still unchanged. 

Others seem good( Aero is back ).

Maybe I need the v3 bios to make it work normally ?  

That warning means nothing in your case. Flash away.

Have you tried reinstalling directx?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109

Another thing to be noted is I found Prema 's vbios cant be read by tweaker, which shows some errors in values.  I got it from Prema's blog. Is this normal ? 

46 minutes ago, Spellbound said:

Yes it is normal for a modified vBIOS not to be read properly in a tweaker utility.

Another odd issue I see is that the card your only running on PCI-E 2.0

p151em is an old model, which can only support pci-e up tp 2.0 I think. My friend has 970m on it , which has the same issue.

47 minutes ago, Spellbound said:

Yes it is normal for a modified vBIOS not to be read properly in a tweaker utility.

But the main issue I have right now is I can' t run 3d mark 11 to test its performace.

3.png

4 hours ago, Spellbound said:

Qiweiyu11 is using a sandy bridge cpu. They only support 2.0.

I'm still leaning towards and OS reinstall to be required to fix this. Windows is garbage like that.

Edited by Khenglish

7 minutes ago, Khenglish said:

Qiweiyu11 is using a sandy bridge cpu. They only support 2.0.

I'm still leaning towards and OS reinstall to be required to fix this. Windows is garbage like that.

You are right. I am using Sandy bridge cpu on my 151em (  actually it is bga - > pga cpu , not official version :P) .  

Besides,  I have a question, if I change to Ivy bridge, will it improve the performance of my gpu ( pci-e 2.0 to 3.0 ?) ?

Thx!

11 hours ago, Khenglish said:

No, 2.0 vs 3.0 is insignificant unless using SLI. The benefits you would get would be power savings and slightly higher performance. If you have a good Sandy Bridge CPU don't bother.

I paid Eurocom to get v3 bios and vbios for my 151em. And it finally works. :P  

980M 2720qm 151em.png

gpuz.png

Edited by qiweiyu11