15.6" Lenovo Ideapad Y500 (Gen 2) + RX 480 + mPCIe2@4Gbps/5GTs (EXP GDC Beast v8.3E) + Win10

Psyrecx

Should I do something with the PTD switch? I tried setting it to 7 seconds and then to 15 seconds. The result was the same - boot loop.

I can load into safe mode properly but why can't I load into normal mode[emoji24] [emoji24] [emoji24] ?

So basically I'm safe mode the internal graphics card is disabled so it has no problem starting but in normal mode, the internal graphics card loads so then it can't choose between the iGPU and eGPU. This is my guess..

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Well I had to restore my system to the last point of successful boot.

I will try the whole process again but Y500 was cleanly not made to run an external GPU with ease unlike y580 which has no problems

Of course I did.

Your plugging a monitor into the external GPU? The fans on most Nvidia GPUs will turn off at idle. I wouldn't be surprised if it was outputting video only out of the GPU.

01fbfe963349aa71925b4ca199d1ebb3.jpg

Now there is something on the external screen but still the computer is in boot loop

e4dffa8ade813253022e4502851af416.jpg

I'll see the settings on my card. You probably need to install the latest drivers for the external gpu?

I will have to restore my system to the last working state, I saved a restore point cause I thought something like this might happen. I'm unable to install the drivers in safe mode.

I'll see the settings on my card. You probably need to install the latest drivers for the external gpu?

Also, please tell me if I should delete the existing drivers once my system restores. By deleting the drivers, all these boot problems started.

What i did was add the card and it booted. Then I installed the latest drivers. Then I disabled the extra 750m GPU (took a little bit of trial to figure out which one was the one in the slot and not on the mobo). Then I booted up with the monitor hooked up to the eGPU. I told the bios to use the pcie gpu as the default. I had an AMD card (r9 290x), but I would think a Nvidia card would be easier. Remove the eGPU and install the latest drivers.

Edited by cuethenoise
  • Thumbs Up 1

What i did was add the card and it booted. Then I installed the latest drivers. Then I disabled the extra 750m GPU (took a little bit of trial to figure out which one was the one in the slot and not on the mobo). Then I booted up with the monitor hooked up to the eGPU. I told the bios to use the pcie gpu as the default. I had an AMD card (r9 290x), but I would think a Nvidia card would be easier. Remove the eGPU and install the latest drivers.

Thanks. Did you change any of the settings in BIOS prior to adding the eGPU or did you leave it by default?

Then I disabled the extra 750m GPU (took a little bit of trial to figure out which one was the one in the slot and not on the mobo).

Can you please explain this in a little more detail.

My system booted now with eGPU plugged in - GREAT!

Btw, the fans are not spinning so I'm guessing you meant idle by not spinning.

Btw, the drivers are already installed and I can see the gtx 960 in display adapters.

Thank you again. Can't than enough.

This is pretty amazing.

I read about bottlenecks because of the mPCI-E but I noticed a big increase in performance. I can run most of the games in highest settings but certain games like Rise of the Tomb Raider can't run on highest settings well, high settings is great!

Overall pretty awesome.

Also this is so much cheaper than buying a new laptop like 5 times cheaper.

I'm running a GTX960 XTREME 4G. Does anyone know if overclocking will improve the performance even more or will I be just stressing the card but the output will be still the same due to the limitations of mPCI-E?

Thanks

Overclocking can improve performance, yes. I OC'd my XXX to the BE's clocks and I get about a 10-15 FPS boost.

13 hours ago, dRoLdDy said:

Thanks. Did you change any of the settings in BIOS prior to adding the eGPU or did you leave it by default?

I left my settings at default. They really didn't change anything in regards to my eGPU or internal one, so I didn't see the point in changing anything.

Overclocking can improve performance, yes. I OC'd my XXX to the BE's clocks and I get about a 10-15 FPS boost.

I left my settings at default. They really didn't change anything in regards to my eGPU or internal one, so I didn't see the point in changing anything.

Thanks for your information.
I have the utility from gigabyte for overclocking the OC guru ll but I'm not sure how to safely overclock cause I read there are no particular settings for overclocking.
Also, when playing rise of the tomb raider on ultra the card struggles so I don't think overclocking will help.
Maybe I need a better GPU but this one runs pretty much everything smoothly on high settings.
Also, I'm playing on my TV (48") at 1920x1080 which might be one of the reasons why the GPU struggles on anything higher than High settings.

• Tech Inferno Fan changed the title to 15.6" Lenovo Ideapad Y500 (Gen 2) + RX 480 + mPCIe2@Gbps (EXP GDC Beast v8.3E) + Win10
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It works on the internal display, but only if an external one is connected. I do believe at least with the Y500, that is the same whether you're using an AMD or Nvidia GPU as it doesn't have Optimus. 

You can buy a headless adapter if you don't have an external monitor.

• 1 month later...

Well, after completely reinstalling a fresh copy of Windows 10, I can now run both GPU's at the same time with no issues. I don't have to disable the GT750m in Windows anymore, and Windows no longer completely stops the card from functioning. It actually runs better this way. The GT750m is still able to keep Windows from completely bluescreening if AMD's drivers have an issue which lately they seem to have. I wish there was a way to dedicate the GT750m to running the physics when gaming, as the 3630QM seems to have zero capability of doing so, but otherwise it's performing fairly decently.

• 3 months later...

Oh, if anyone was wondering, I figured out how to have both cards running at the same time. If you go into your BIOS and go to Advanced, then Video Configuration, and Enable 'Special Features'. This will allow both the GT750M/GT650M and whatever other card your running in the EXP GDC to run at the same time. In Windows 10 it seems to cause an occasional blue screen, but that could also be my faulty USB network adapter.

• 1 month later...

i using y400 similar to y500 i need to disable 750m to better performance sometimes when i run some program it using 750m not egpu

i think becooz of we don't have optimus to manage this so i disable it but i have some problem i can't to using gpu-z when i use egpu

i don't know why it crash with the opencl lib i try to reinstall driver
but it same crash but before i install driver i can use it haha
i don't know why i use gtx 960

On 16.3.2017 at 6:06 PM, Psyrecx said:

Oh, if anyone was wondering, I figured out how to have both cards running at the same time. If you go into your BIOS and go to Advanced, then Video Configuration, and Enable 'Special Features'. This will allow both the GT750M/GT650M and whatever other card your running in the EXP GDC to run at the same time. In Windows 10 it seems to cause an occasional blue screen, but that could also be my faulty USB network adapter.

If you manage to have both cards running you may just as well check if you can use the nVidia-card for nvidia-supported features. I remember some article on nvidia's features in Assassins Creed which you could render with an nvidia card doing the calcs for smoke etc whilst having stronger card for the major tasks

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/13/2017 at 9:06 AM, grennith said:

If you manage to have both cards running you may just as well check if you can use the nVidia-card for nvidia-supported features. I remember some article on nvidia's features in Assassins Creed which you could render with an nvidia card doing the calcs for smoke etc whilst having stronger card for the major tasks

I don't think that would work the same with this sort of setup. That's mostly for desktop computers with motherboards that allow that sort of thing. So far, the nVidia GPU seems to be limited to usage on the internal display. As it causes heavy performance issues to use the internal display for gaming purposes, I typically won't use it. Though it is still better than the internal GPU. Though, if it were possible, I would gladly allow the internal GPU to handle the physics tasks.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

A modified BIOS is required as Lenovo has a whitelist and the systems won't allow anything but approved devices to be used. If you try using an unapproved device, it won't allow you to do anything until you remove it.

I also use 2.04, but a modified version of it.

I shall soon have a Samsung CHG70 running with my Y500 and RX 480. Specifically the 27" C27GH70.

Though, that would require Samsung to start filling orders on those. To which, Samsung has been completely unresponsive as to when that might happen >_>

Edited by Psyrecx

• 2 weeks later...