15.6" Lenovo Ideapad Y500 (Gen 2) + RX 480 + mPCIe2@4Gbps/5GTs (EXP GDC Beast v8.3E) + Win10

Psyrecx

Ok, so I've been running the modded BIOS to remove the whitelisting for a while, because I was using a Intel 7260. Now I'm using a USB high power wireless adapter, but I've kept the modded bios anyways. I was originally looking at getting a ultrabay GT750m and having the GT 750m SLI setup, but after going over the pros and cons of it vs an eGPU setup, I've ended up here. I've completely modded my system to accept the adapter and everything, just awaiting the arrival of my RX 480. Though... that would require them to be in stock. :/

Anyway's here's how everything is going. 

Current Setup

Notebook:
CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM
GPUs: Nvidia GT750mEXP GDC Beast v8.3E - w/ XFX Radeon RX 480 XXX - 8GB
Memory: 8GB DDR3 12800
HDD: 120 GB Muskin Atlas Deluxe | 1TB Samsung 5400RPM
Network: Alpha Network Inc.  AWUS036ACH  High Power Wireless-AC1200 USB 3.0 Adapter 
Display: Lenovo 1920x1080
External Displays: Samsung 32in FHD Smart TV @ 1080p | Sceptre X22WG-1080P

Beasty2.jpg

Edited by Psyrecx
  • Thumbs Up 1

AFAIK, ya need nvidia gpu card to use internal display.

p/s: was gonna do da eGPU thing but postponed when 'm found out Batman AK could run[benchmarked] on mah ol' y400[gt 750m ddr5 2gb Vram, i7-3630qm & 8gb RAM] @ 720 & lowest setting with 30 avg after custom bios flashed & heavy OverClockin'.  the rest of the games I owned/wishlisted on Steam could run fine even w/o OC. 

didn't think 1 game worth the upgrade. 

Edited by I_Hate_U_2

54 minutes ago, Psyrecx said:

1 game may not be worth it, but it makes future endeavors possible. 

yup. might start on eGPU when Fall of the Tomb Raider[3rd installment of TB'13 reboot, crossing fingers] is announced.

btw, do ya stick the wireless adapter[usb] to lappy or to GDC? curious if GDC could support both GPU & a usb device instantaneously or not. 

Edited by I_Hate_U_2

Now all I need is the 6pin cables that EXP GDC did not include for some reason or another.

DSC_0014.jpg

DSC_0015.jpg

Did you use DELL 220W or ATX PSU?

Don't ever tried to power up if the card needs more power and you dont have the 6pin cable

I end up bricked my Quadro 6000 AND Quadro 4000 without 6pin & 6+2pin. As the cable still enroute somewhere in china.

I purchased Beast V8 with Dell 220W only, but then i buy 500W PSU but it was too late

ce273162a744d083cfe80bf5b9abd737.jpg

It doesn't comes with DELL 220W anymore, so the 6pin cable is useless.

People tend to use high-end GPU with it's product, so it is safer for them if we buy our own ATX PSU for more reliable performance

4 hours ago, Psyrecx said:

Now all I need is the 6pin cables that EXP GDC did not include for some reason or another.

You may consider to use PSU ATX instead of dell 220W 

Glad to listen who use Polaris GPU

I'm waiting for AMD XConnect feature

What the feature is work or not

Well, I originally thought about using an ATX PSU, but this card doesn't seem like it should require that. Also, it helps with transporting it, using the Dell adapter rather than a PSU. I plan on building a case for the card and adapter. I have 2 12x12  1/4in sheets of Lexan. Dremel should be here Thursday, and hopefully the 6pin cable will be here by then as well so I can see how everything runs.

Edited by Psyrecx

Cool. post it here if the enclosure finished :)

I'm still designing my enclosure.

It'll be a 2 slots size acrylic case with a 12mm fan and SFF psu.

I'm lack of electrical knowledge :D i need it to modified it's wirings

I don't plan on having any extra fans in my enclosure. It won't have a PSU or anything extra in it, so there shouldn't be any ambient heat from other devices like in a standard PC setup. I figure the cards default fan should be good enough, and will actually work better than it would in a regular setup. I do plan on coating the enclosure in some bed liner for trucks, just so it doesn't get scratched up. I'll leave some open spots on it though, so the card can still be seen.

On 7/19/2016 at 4:17 AM, I_Hate_U_2 said:

any updates?

idjya manage ta run anything on internal screen?

So, I'm still waiting on the darn power cable. Should be here tomorrow. After that I can give updates. The EXP GDC ships from the US, but it's power cable, China...

9 hours ago, gharimanto said:

Same as me.

Waiting for internal display 

Which work with rx 480 with xconnect feature

Yea, AMD says X-Connect is a thunderbolt 3 feature. So none of that till I get a new laptop. I plan on getting an Asus next with TB 3. 

2 hours ago, Psyrecx said:

So, I'm still waiting on the darn power cable. Should be here tomorrow. After that I can give updates. The EXP GDC ships from the US, but it's power cable, China...

Yea, AMD says X-Connect is a thunderbolt 3 feature. So none of that till I get a new laptop. I plan on getting an Asus next with TB 3

waiting part is da worse.

p/s: still waitin' for y400 non-BL k/b from china.  

Yea, I got so impatient I went and ordered a cable from some place else and had rush shipping put on it. The one from China could take up to 8 more days. Where as the rush ordered one will be here tomorrow.

Oh yea, I do have one update. 1/4in Lexan is a pain in the butt to bend. Even heat bending it made me get impatient and bubble it in some parts. I'll be sanding the bubbles out of those parts though, so it shouldn't be too bad.

Edited by Psyrecx

Well, I got the cord, and managed to get the card to show up in Windows. Problem is, it seems no matter what I do, it won't let me completely disable the GT750m. The BIOS settings keep re-enabling the card even though I keep trying to disable it. It goes back to default video settings every time. It won't let me select any of the other GPU locations such as PEG, PCI, or any of the others. Even disabling the "internal video device" in the BIOS has no affect. Disabling it in Windows, still makes it use the GT750m only.  

Also, it won't let me launch the AMD Radeon Settings. It says "Radeon Settings are currently not available. Please try again after connecting AMD graphics." 

480.gif

Edited by Psyrecx
  • Thumbs Up 1

So, I ended up having to hook my TV up to my laptop to get it to run. Interesting that the internal monitor works so long as there's a monitor attached to the card. Makes me wonder if there is a way to trick the card into thinking there is a monitor attached so it will use the internal display. I'm thinking an HDMI dummy plug may do the trick.

4802.gif

Edited by Psyrecx

6 hours ago, Psyrecx said:

So, I ended up having to hook my TV up to my laptop to get it to run. Interesting that the internal monitor works so long as there's a monitor attached to the card. Makes me wonder if there is a way to trick the card into thinking there is a monitor attached so it will use the internal display. I'm thinking an HDMI dummy plug may do the trick.

4802.gif

did the internal display use gt 750m while external display use rx 480?

25 minutes ago, I_Hate_U_2 said:

did the internal display use gt 750m while external display use rx 480?

No, they both use the same GPU. I disabled the GT750m in Windows and uninstalled all of it's drivers. If you set the display to duplicate, and use a HDMI or Displayport dummy plug, you won't need an external monitor. Though, the internal screen does shut off when logging into Windows, so you either have to put in your password/fingerprint blind or have it just directly start to your desktop and forget about having a lock screen. I may fiddle around with it a tad more to find a way to get the display to enable when logging.

10 minutes ago, Psyrecx said:

No, they both use the same GPU. I disabled the GT750m in Windows and uninstalled all of it's drivers. If you set the display to duplicate, and use a HDMI or Displayport dummy plug, you won't need an external monitor. Though, the internal screen does shut off when logging into Windows, so you either have to put in your password/fingerprint blind or have it just directly start to your desktop and forget about having a lock screen. I may fiddle around with it a tad more to find a way to get the display to enable when logging.

an extra layer of security. :ninja:

So I'm about to do this same setup except with a r9 290x tonight. Did you cut the case of the laptop to route the cable on the outside? Also what do you do with the extra cable when you need to move your latptop around? I though about fabricating some sort of door for the area where my mPCIe card is on the bottom cover so I can swap it and out the wifi card when I'm on the go.

Just hooked it up. All I had to do to get it to run was disable the main 750m card (I have sli) and install the radeon drivers. 

My laptop in firestrike by default gets: 

3379 http://www.3dmark.com/fs/9461124

If I use the interal display (mirroring) I only get:

5308 http://www.3dmark.com/fs/9461257

But if only use the external display I get:

8979 http://www.3dmark.com/fs/9461317

HUGE improvement in fact it actually beat the card running at 16x with a phenom II 965 (my backup system)

8 979 to 8381

http://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/9461317/fs/8949440

mainly due to the higher physics scores (CPU) although the GPU only scored 1000 points less over the mPCIe

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, cuethenoise said:

Just hooked it up. All I had to do to get it to run was disable the main 750m card (I have sli) and install the radeon drivers. 

My laptop in firestrike by default gets: 

3379 http://www.3dmark.com/fs/9461124

If I use the interal display (mirroring) I only get:

5308 http://www.3dmark.com/fs/9461257

But if only use the external display I get:

8979 http://www.3dmark.com/fs/9461317

HUGE improvement in fact it actually beat the card running at 16x with a phenom II 965 (my backup system)

8 979 to 8381

http://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/9461317/fs/8949440

mainly due to the higher physics scores (CPU) although the GPU only scored 1000 points less over the mPCIe

didjya use dummy dvi? 

btw, wut is suitable GPU card if only using internal display?  

14 hours ago, cuethenoise said:

So I'm about to do this same setup except with a r9 290x tonight. Did you cut the case of the laptop to route the cable on the outside? Also what do you do with the extra cable when you need to move your latptop around? I though about fabricating some sort of door for the area where my mPCIe card is on the bottom cover so I can swap it and out the wifi card when I'm on the go.

Yes, I will post pictures of how exactly I routed the cable. I cut a few small pieces of the midframe and had to grind part of it to smooth it out on the notebook and some of the bottom cover. 

4 hours ago, I_Hate_U_2 said:

didjya use dummy dvi? 

btw, wut is suitable GPU card if only using internal display?  

There is a slight performance hit on using the internal display. In the SteamVR benchmark, it seems to be somewhere between a 10-15 fps difference.

DSC_0026.jpg

DSC_0027.jpg

DSC_0028.jpg

Edited by Psyrecx
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Tech Inferno Fan changed the title to 15.6" Lenovo Ideapad Y500 (Gen 2) + RX 480 + mPCIe2@Gbps (EXP GDC Beast v8.3E) + Win10