2015 13" MBP + GTX1070FE@16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + Win10 [Creativie]

Again id like to add: I updated Windows to the latest update "Anniversary update" and it ruined everything. If you have this model MacBook I'd recommend waiting for updated boot camp drivers and Nvidia's drivers. My USB ports stopped functioning, trackpad barely worked and some apps wouldn't load correctly. I'm currently reinstalling Windows 10

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22 hours ago, Tech Inferno Fan said:

@Creativie, would you mind doing 3dmark11 and 3dmark13 (Firestrike) runs using an external LCD and posting links to the results? Those would allow me to add you to the appropriate spot on the leaderboard.

I will get it done as soon as possible! I am getting a 4K monitor so I will do the benchmark there as well.

On 8/3/2016 at 0:08 AM, Tech Inferno Fan said:

@Creativie, would you mind doing 3dmark11 and 3dmark13 (Firestrike) runs using an external LCD and posting links to the results? Those would allow me to add you to the appropriate spot on the leaderboard.

I've added it to my post, I hope this is the right thing

Edited by Creativie

• 2 weeks later...
On August 1, 2016 at 9:37 AM, mrburns05 said:

I would like to add.. I have gotten it to boot yet a third time... I plug in the 1070 (akitio tb2) just as the boot selection screen appears... I'd like to point out that when you plug in the card, the fans twitch, then about 4 seconds later they spin up.. So I timed it this way

1. Have eGPU turned on

2. Plug it in the moment you see the boot menu appearing (a second or two after you notice the display power on

3. Count to 3 (1 second before the fans spin up on the card) and plug in the card - at this exact moment you'll need to hit enter on the Windows entry to boot.

This has worked for me 3 times now.

Side note- I went to services and disabled Nvidia's streaming services, there are two entries in there I believe one was Called "NvStrSrvc" the other one is the entry right below it. Sorry I'm not home to check them ATM, just read what they are when you do this (if you do this) - not sure if it helped but when checking boot logs before, this service is where booting froze and went to endless spinning dots

its weird seeing some of you guys have booting issues. what PSU are u guys running, how are you powering ur eGPU?

for me i don't have to go through ANY boot up processes. I just keep akitio plugged in, power supply turned on, and no matter how many times i restart my computer or even crashes, it boots up fine.

2015 13‘’ Macbook Pro + GTX970 + win10... i have follow your  boot proceed after the divers was installed...  i have 2 days tried, but never boot sucessfully...always black  screen or   spinning wheel ......please help me! how can i fix this problem~~~

With the same model MacBook as we re discussing? What graphics card are you using

its weird seeing some of you guys have booting issues. what PSU are u guys running, how are you powering ur eGPU?

for me i don't have to go through ANY boot up processes. I just keep akitio plugged in, power supply turned on, and no matter how many times i restart my computer or even crashes, it boots up fine.

My question was for you. "Quote" apparently failed

• Tech Inferno Fan changed the title to 2015 13" MBP + GTX1070FE@16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + Win10 [Creativie]
  • 2 weeks later...

Great stuff indeed and thanks for documenting this!

Got my setup running as well, 2015 13'' mbp, with a gtx zotac 1060. 

Using an external PSU with a barrel plug mod. 

I had some drama with a previous 750ti + 120W supply, so decided to give it another go. 

• 2 weeks later...

@Miller hey man, did you get it working? I have exactly the same setup as you, 2015 13" mbp and zotac 1060 6gb mini. I cant activate my egpu at all, even though windows shows its working properly in device manager. I cant even get my external display (which is connected to 1060) to show any display at all, and benchmark or games also fail (internal display too).

Windows simply crashes or hangs everytime i do so.

I have tried both desktop and notebook drivers version 372.70 for the 1060.

Anyone has any idea?

• 3 weeks later...
On 30/11/2016 at 9:40 AM, kxplus said:

@Miller hey man, did you get it working? I have exactly the same setup as you, 2015 13" mbp and zotac 1060 6gb mini. I cant activate my egpu at all, even though windows shows its working properly in device manager. I cant even get my external display (which is connected to 1060) to show any display at all, and benchmark or games also fail (internal display too).

Windows simply crashes or hangs everytime i do so.

I have tried both desktop and notebook drivers version 372.70 for the 1060.

Anyone has any idea?

Sorry for the late reply. How did you install Win? I've done mine using a win 10 stick and not using bootcamp. Not sure if this makes any difference. 

I got it working by - restart your laptop, when the chime comes on, press option to select the startup drive, and right after, plug in the box. Wait for a few seconds, then select the windows partition. It gets recognised about 1 in 10 times. If you reboot more than twice and get the infinite loop, it will go into auto repair. Unplug the box, restart, wait for the auto repair to do its thing, then try again. 

Either this way, or plugging it in right at the first 'wheel spin'. 

Got it working superbly stable, but with an external PSU and the barrel plug mod. 

Now I'm trying to get my head around a 2016 13'', the same box, but with a EVGA card..

Sorry for the late reply. How did you install Win? I've done mine using a win 10 stick and not using bootcamp. Not sure if this makes any difference. 

I got it working by - restart your laptop, when the chime comes on, press option to select the startup drive, and right after, plug in the box. Wait for a few seconds, then select the windows partition. It gets recognised about 1 in 10 times. If you reboot more than twice and get the infinite loop, it will go into auto repair. Unplug the box, restart, wait for the auto repair to do its thing, then try again. 

Either this way, or plugging it in right at the first 'wheel spin'. 

Got it working superbly stable, but with an external PSU and the barrel plug mod. 

Now I'm trying to get my head around a 2016 13'', the same box, but with a EVGA card..

Hi Miller, my problem with windows crashing appeared to be a faulty psu. Waiting on my dell da 2 now. Nonetheless thanks for the help! I will definitely try the bootup method you mentioned. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, i have a setup EVGA 1060 3GB SC + 2015 13" Macbook pro + Win10 (1607) over EFI USB (https://bleeptobleep.blogspot.cz/2013/02/mac-install-windows-7-or-8-on-external.html)

Running on one PSU (gpu and akitio)

I can install drivers 376.33 without issue(tried 376.09 and 376.19 but even the first restart after installation ended with wheel). But it works only after first reboot after installation. 

Getting some error when launching any game or application about DX.

Since every other restart im getting the wheel or even the blackscreen and never get to win again with egpu on.

Can somebody advice?

Edit: It somehow works just right after installation of drivers. But can't get it run after reboot again (requires driver reinstall again). Using the DDU tool to remove the drivers and then install them as new again

Benchmark on internal screen

Unigine3gb.png

Edited by honzicek69

@honzicek69 I had the same problem to see my eGPU in Device Manager and saw it only on first boot into Windows. After long testing I found a proof method, maybe works for you as well:

Booting into Windows with always working GTX 980 Ti (and maybe other)  - automate-eGPU-Script with "-a" switch already installed:

1. Boot into OS X - TB unplugged 
  2. Plug TB in and restart OS X - from now on TB is plugged in
  3. Boot into OSX again  and restart OS X
  4. Boot into Windows - Check Device Manager - only 750M will appear
  5. Restart Windows - Check Device Manager - 750M AND 980 Ti are enabled 

Sometimes step 5 is not working, so do the steps 1 - 4 and at step 5 shutdown Windows with TB unplugged, then plug in and start your machine into Windows. 

• 2 weeks later...

My hardware is 2015 early mbpr + 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)+ Win10.

Although I can successfully use egpu by your suggestion , I have to reboot three times to get into automatic repair mode every time . Is there any other way to promote the possibility of success in first time of booting ?

Edited by wsw

On 1/2/2017 at 0:18 AM, irokez said:

@honzicek69 I had the same problem to see my eGPU in Device Manager and saw it only on first boot into Windows. After long testing I found a proof method, maybe works for you as well:

Booting into Windows with always working GTX 980 Ti (and maybe other)  - automate-eGPU-Script with "-a" switch already installed:

1. Boot into OS X - TB unplugged 
  2. Plug TB in and restart OS X - from now on TB is plugged in
  3. Boot into OSX again  and restart OS X
  4. Boot into Windows - Check Device Manager - only 750M will appear
  5. Restart Windows - Check Device Manager - 750M AND 980 Ti are enabled 

Sometimes step 5 is not working, so do the steps 1 - 4 and at step 5 shutdown Windows with TB unplugged, then plug in and start your machine into Windows. 

Hi,

Thank you for your answer but this setup doesnt work for me. Maybe its the GTX10** card.

I reinstall win10 and disabled the automatic updates. 

Only thing i installed was the first batch of updates contains Intel 6100 drivers update. 

Then after several tries of rebooting and reinstalling the nvidia drivers using DDU tool it suddenly started to work. Spinning wheel took longer than usual and i thought its gone again but in win10 the card was booted "normally" and allowed me to play games/overclock.

Win 10 version 1511 or so, nvidia latest 376.33 i guess

Will it work better(more stable) on win7, win8? Or does anyone have different experience with another win10 version

@honzicek69 Can you run the Unigine Heaven Benchmark with this settings (see the picture) on the internal retina display please?

tb2.png

I have the same video card but my Macbook Retina 15' (mid 2012) have Thunderbolt™ 1 i want to see the deference between TB1 and TB2 :)

Also you can try with Nvidia 376.09 - i have no problems with this driver and all games runs perfect with it :)

Edited by enjoy

To help those who get stuck on the spinning wheel, i have these tips to suggest. 

1. turn on your egpu, connect tb2 to your macbook

2.Turn on mac os (if os is by default the operating system, you dont need to press alt)

3. turn off the macbook from apple logo->shutdown

4. turn on with windows (press alt) 

Note: keep the egpu turned on and tb2 connected after shutting down the mac from apple logo->shut down. 

Note: If you are unable to turn on (no chime after pressing the power button), then remove the tb2 cable, turn on windows (by pressing alt), and as soon as you see the spinning wheel, insert the tb2 cable. 

Basically you have to make sure that the egpu is on and tb2 is connected and have turned on the mac os and then select shut down, which will somehow keep that in the memory of macbook that epgu was connected. never remove the tb2 when the system is on. remove tb2 only when you have problem turning the system back on (no chime after pressing power button), in which case force shut down (press power button for 5 seconds) then remove tb2, then turn back on, press alt after the chime, select windows, enter, and as soon as u see the spinning wheel of windows insert the tb2 cable. 

this procedure has worked for me with no issues so far. 

Edit: 30/01/2017

This Process still doesnt work consistently. i am tired of trying different options. it turns on in no time sometime and works flawlessly, and gives me a headache at other time. 

I am testing new methods and will share my results. 

Edited by lurk3rr
This process doesn't work consistently.

• 4 months later...

Hello Guys. Inspite of the fact this thunder 2 is becoming old, i made a video about hot plugging the eGPU for those having trouble of getting infinite spinning wheel. 

Hope it may help some of you guys. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/4/2017 at 1:33 AM, lurk3rr said:

Hello Guys. Inspite of the fact this thunder 2 is becoming old, i made a video about hot plugging the eGPU for those having trouble of getting infinite spinning wheel. 

Hope it may help some of you guys. 

Hi this is ok, but can you provide with more information about your setup? win version, driver version, etc...

• 2 months later...

Hi guys, try one thing if you get spinning wheel - just wait up to 5 mins. It's not infinite. I discovered this when I forgot about my system booting and it eventually made it into the OS with eGPU working. Since then I'm always happy when I get spinning wheel, which means I'll get 100% into the OS with eGPU.

For booting, I plug in TB cable into MBP exactly when (or up to 0.5s before) spinning wheel would appear. Timing for me is ~10s after power on. This now works for me 9.5/10 times, depending how precise I am.