2013 Macbook Pro + GTX 760 eGPU - Random Freezes

maarten

Hi all,

I am running a late 2013 Macbook pro on Windows 10 with an Akitio Thunder 2 eGPU with a EVGA GTX 760 in it. The CPU is a Haswell Intel 4850HQ.

Now, the system works great as it should. It boots up consistently fine. I can play games fine, and the performance is solid. 

However, I experience random freezes while gaming for extended periods. After aprox. 1 hour of gaming, my computer will lock up, and I will have to reboot. This has happened in multiple games, and with multiple versions of Geforce drivers. Also in the Witcher 3, I have noticed cases where the game doesnt completely lock up, but slows down to about 1-2 fps, so basically unplayable. Could this be the GPU or CPU clocking itself back because of overheating?

Could this just be a overheating issue?

- My GPU runs at aprox. 82C degrees max.

- My CPU runs at aprox. 80C degrees max.

Are these temps okay, or too high?

Could something eGPU specific be causing this issue? Such as power delivery to the eGPU? I am using a brand new Gold rated 500W PSU from Silverstone, so I dont suspect this should be the problem.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!