Ok, I have been trying to get my MacBook to work with my egpu on sierra but it just wont boot, it gets stuck mid loading if I have the GPU connected,

Do you know if its possible to get the eGPU (GTX 970) working on Mac OS sierra?

MacBook Pro mid 2015 15inch (base model).

On June 28, 2016 at 4:04 PM, Matan said:

Ok, I have been trying to get my MacBook to work with my egpu on sierra but it just wont boot, it gets stuck mid loading if I have the GPU connected,

Do you know if its possible to get the eGPU (GTX 970) working on Mac OS sierra?

MacBook Pro mid 2015 15inch (base model).

What eGPU brand are you using? is it ExpressCard/Thunderbolt/mini PCIe?

Well technically i believe the mod NVIDIA BIOS firmware on the 970 is not ready for macOS Sierra.

But i've found on eBay GTX 980 that are ready for macOS Sierra: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=GTX 980 mac&clk_rvr_id=1055004319839&mfe=so_en-US_searchBox&mpt=1467303709276 

I ran the DP1 for a short period, the rootless disable is now required to be done within the recovery mode to get the beta Nvidia driver running as of DP1, but I didn't see any major OGL changes, and havent tried my thunder2 with it yet, as it's just now downloading. I'll probably know a bit more tomorrow, but I would expect rootless disabled in el capitan to stay enabled and any new installs to require it separately. Rest of the script will probably work as before.

If you're having a boot issue with the eGPU only, try re-enabling rootless via recovery command line. (csrutil disable). This was required to re-enable functionality of my Nvidia driver. You will also likely need the new Nvidia driver version, This is the DP1 build that will hopefully work. The driver has jumped from version 346 to 367.

http://us.download.nvidia.com/7tx5AvsWQd8nYQnjJcntrzcxTzpKACuH/WebDriver-367.05.10.05b03.pkg

edit: Nvidia driver will not install on PB1 build 16A238m, will need an Nvidia release or someone to install via Pacifist if there are no other system build checks.

It does appear SIP remains disabled from El Capitan to Sierra upgrade, so all we should need is an Nvidia driver that will load in Sierra for now.

Followup edit: After forcing 367 installation and switching to it successfully (My rMBP has a 750m), I cannot get the eGPU to display anything. The automate script detects the GPU successfully but it won't run. Forcing the 367 required just editing the info.plist to allow the PB1 build 16A238m. With SIP still disabled the driver runs fine, simply no eGPU bahviors. I've not looked into the additional modifications used to make it work so they will likely need redone and a script modification made as it doesn't find a current Nvidia web driver for installation.

Edited by Dippyskoodlez
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/8/2016 at 9:52 AM, Dippyskoodlez said:

I ran the DP1 for a short period, the rootless disable is now required to be done within the recovery mode to get the beta Nvidia driver running as of DP1, but I didn't see any major OGL changes, and havent tried my thunder2 with it yet, as it's just now downloading. I'll probably know a bit more tomorrow, but I would expect rootless disabled in el capitan to stay enabled and any new installs to require it separately. Rest of the script will probably work as before.

If you're having a boot issue with the eGPU only, try re-enabling rootless via recovery command line. (csrutil disable). This was required to re-enable functionality of my Nvidia driver. You will also likely need the new Nvidia driver version, This is the DP1 build that will hopefully work. The driver has jumped from version 346 to 367.

http://us.download.nvidia.com/7tx5AvsWQd8nYQnjJcntrzcxTzpKACuH/WebDriver-367.05.10.05b03.pkg

edit: Nvidia driver will not install on PB1 build 16A238m, will need an Nvidia release or someone to install via Pacifist if there are no other system build checks.

It does appear SIP remains disabled from El Capitan to Sierra upgrade, so all we should need is an Nvidia driver that will load in Sierra for now.

Followup edit: After forcing 367 installation and switching to it successfully (My rMBP has a 750m), I cannot get the eGPU to display anything. The automate script detects the GPU successfully but it won't run. Forcing the 367 required just editing the info.plist to allow the PB1 build 16A238m. With SIP still disabled the driver runs fine, simply no eGPU bahviors. I've not looked into the additional modifications used to make it work so they will likely need redone and a script modification made as it doesn't find a current Nvidia web driver for installation.

I tried that and after force installing the driver I found out a new one is out XD!

So I dowloaded it and still nothing, my Mac still boots with the graphics card but wont detect the card

• 2 weeks later...

BUMP

On 7/8/2016 at 9:52 AM, Dippyskoodlez said:

Please help me

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...