help : eGPU usage 0%

What about if you downloaded the same version of the drivers and tried installed them without modifying them? Uncommenting out the line and it still fails means the driver package would have failed before we modified them.

I'd try:

1. Download the same driver package to make sure the unmodified drivers work

2. Comment out the lines - the driver package should not work

3. Add the lines to nvami.inf and it should work again.

Are you using DDU (Display driver uninstaller) to ensure the drivers are removed?

Oh one other thing I forgot to mention!

Are you using windows 10? When you go to install the modified driver, you will need to hold down shift when you restart, this will give you the menu to start windows in diagnostic mode. You will need to start windows with "Allow unsigned driver installation".

In windows 10, it pops up a warning saying the driver is unsigned, but in Windows 7 etc, it may just fail, so your errors could be due to that.

I installed the driver between my tests to make my 840M run at least. So i'm pretty sure it does work.

(when it's installed, the 960 is detected in the device manager, and I can set the fan spin rate -for example- thanks to MSI Kombustor)

About DDU, yeah, i'm using it since the beginning.

Yeah. that's it. I'm on windows 10.. I could have mentionned it in my specs .. sorry for that.

But ... the problem is still the same: The driver installation never finishes. that way, I can't even go to the point where I restart and .. "hope for the best" .

First of all, I'll try it step by step.

Oh and hey, thank you for your patience. I really appreciate it. really.

edit1: Ok, I tried to install the driver with the lines commented out, and it ... didn't work. Actually. It did work, but the 840M and not for the 960 which is normal since I only commented out lines that refer the 960.

Talking about that, should I try to deactivate the 840M while trying to install the modified drivers ?

edit2: I re-added the lines and it fails to install the drivers.

Would you like a screen shot of the driver installation window ?

drvinstall.jpg

It's not in english, so this is the translation (if needed):

"Pilote" => driver

"non installé" =>not installed

"échec" => fail

"La même version ou une version..." => the same or a more recent version is already installed. (already installed due to the 840M driver)

"Composant" => component

Edited by Chevrotine669

No, there is no bug as far as I'm aware - I got it to work.

Did you try step 1? Download the drivers again and install? The ones you are currently using are corrupt because it fails to install the drivers.

In the above post you said

"edit1: Ok, I tried to install the driver with the lines commented out, and it ... didn't work. Actually. I did work, but the 840M and not for the 960 which is normal since I only commented out lines that refer the 960.

Talking about that, should I try to deactivate the 840M while trying to install the modified drivers ?"

If it was deactivated, would it still try to install the drivers for it? Or do you mean deactivate the 840m drivers in the inf?

Haven't tried to install the driver while having the 840M deactivated (in the device manager). 

I read somewhere on an other topic that I had to install my driver for both GPU's at the same time. 

I'll try it as soon as I can.

And also try it with the 840M commented out.

edit 1: tested with the 840M deactivated and a new driver download. 

Same as before. driver installation fails before finishing.

Even after a fresh restart.

Edited by Chevrotine669

1. remove all drivers with ddu

2. when you plug in your 960, does it show up as Microsoft basic adaptor with no errors?

3. disable 840m

4. install drivers

You have done all this and it fails?

fails at what step? driver installation?

so the 960 shows up in device manager with no errors? (error 12 etc)

And the driver installs correctly for BOTH the 960 and 840m when the 840m is enabled?

Yes, it fails while trying to install the driver.

have a look a these screenshots:

GTX 960 device manager.jpg

no warning sign on the 960 line (little triangle...)

GTX 960 general.jpg

And "ce périphérique fonctionne correctement" means "this device works properly".

Oh, and here are my hardware IDs just in case you wanted to be sure.

GTX 960 ID.jpg

Ok this means that everything except optimus is working. Now you KNOW the drivers you have are working.

Modify the working drivers (delete the ones you modified before, that package is not working). Only comment out the 960 lines, leave the 840m lines.

Try:

- disable 840m, install the new modified drivers.

if that doesn't work,

- enable 840m, install the new modified drivers.

No, I mean the driver for the 840M got installed anyway, even if it was disabled.

But no change so far. I'll re-try it once again properly.

edit : Hummm ... I tried to use a fresh driver installation by downloading a new one on NVIDIA. After using DDU, I restarted my PC and, wanted to get rid of the old driver installation .exe  .

But apparently, it can't be send to the trash can because it is being used in windows explorer.

Doesn't that mean that the driver unnistaller failed? and some of the drivers are still in use?

Edited by Chevrotine669

yes I was. I always do restart it in safe mode.

edit: As desperate as I am right now, I tried some things I read on other websites like this one:

http://www.owen-lu.com/egpu/

(look for the "driver" §)

As well a this video:

Both have similarities with what you told me to do, but for instance, they don't comment out the 2 lines in the dispi. file ...

After having tried both of them, I had the following results:

The problem isn't solved, but the driver installation does NOT fail and finishes properly.

Which is kinda like installing the vanilla driver actually. 

No real help there.

Oh and I also tried a benchmark with my 960 which does make it's usage go up to 60-80%. IDK if this is any help to you..

So i'm guessing it IS indeed an optimus problem.

Edited by Chevrotine669

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.