automate-eGPU EFI - Mac bootscreen on eGPU

euqlaog

Someone on reddit is helping out by dumping the rom from my graphics card so I should be able to test the demo bootx64.efi properly and hopefully the eGPU will be detected. When I tested earlier with a rom from a 1080 card the demo could not detect my eGPU. I noticed you said to put automate-eGPU into manual mode but if I do that I don't hear the chime on restart and can't get to the boot choice screen. I'd really like to test the loading of Windows with the dGPU disabled so it would be great to get hold of the non-demo version :-)

@Tanc

11,5 and 11,3 differ completely as to early boot process. Your obstacle is the dGPU which can be powered off by the EFI app but since the problem occurs in the beginning (POST) before the EFI stage, the only workable approach is to use script’s -a mode or manually delay TB connection with the MBP11,3 & III-D combo. The same POST failure occurs randomly with the Thunder2 as well:

https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/10078-2014-mbp-15-sometimes-doesnt-post-with-egpu/

If you combine the EFI app with the script’s -a mode, the eGPU becomes invisible in EFI, so not much joy. However, you’re welcome to discuss the new demo with other MBP11,3 users privately. @UncleGravity had some success by loading apple_set_os.efi.

Thanks @goalque, I feel like I'm edging forwards but there are big gaps in my knowledge. My understanding of the apple_set_os.efi is to make the integrated graphics show up in Windows. I've already got that working by using rEFInd with spoof_osx_version 10.9.

When you say manually delay TB connection, do you mean plugging it in after Windows has started booting? I haven't had any success doing that, but I might give that a try a few times. Its a slow process though as after an unsuccessful attempt I have to boot into OS X and then restart into Windows to try again. Otherwise I get the black screen on boot issue.

Do you think there is any chance of getting this combination to work, the Sonnet III-D and the GTX 1060 in Windows 10? Or have I just made an expensive mistake?

43 minutes ago, Tanc said:

Thanks @goalque, I feel like I'm edging forwards but there are big gaps in my knowledge. My understanding of the apple_set_os.efi is to make the integrated graphics show up in Windows. I've already got that working by using rEFInd with spoof_osx_version 10.9.

Yes, you should get the same effect as apple_set_os.efi by uncommenting the line 389 in refind.conf.

43 minutes ago, Tanc said:

When you say manually delay TB connection, do you mean plugging it in after Windows has started booting? I haven't had any success doing that, but I might give that a try a few times. Its a slow process though as after an unsuccessful attempt I have to boot into OS X and then restart into Windows to try again. Otherwise I get the black screen on boot issue.

A bit earlier,

https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/6624-2013-15-mbp-gt750m-gtx-980-sonnet-iii-d-wont-boot/&do=findComment&comment=121264

I have a MBP11,3 and a fresh Windows 10 (EFI) installation. Would really like to test the script to finally disable the dGPU in Windows. From there on my eGPU options should be the same as for those who own a iGPU-only model, correct?

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, viktorkovarik said:

Hey works great :-)... How about enable "disable dgpu" for 10,1 MacBook? 

Or could you send me version with this option unrestricted for test?

I really need that feature !

Thanks !

Thanks! I heard those words before, but never got a reply what actually worked.

There won’t be progress with the MBP11,3 if my private questions will not be answered. Disabling the dGPU works as expected with the MBP11,3 but enabling the Iris Pro obviously doesn’t as with the MBP11,5.

Sorry, this is a proprietary project, I cannot give more unlocks.

Hey @goalque If you need another tester I'm on MacOs Beta 7 (2016 Macbook Pro  13")with a GTX 970 (MINI) in a Akitio 2. Using Windows 10 also. 

I'm using your latest Automate script and can get into OSX by plugging it in right after hitting login. 

For Windows it's entirely hit and miss.

Edited by matt454

• 2 weeks later...
@Tanc

the only workable approach is to use script’s -a mode or manually delay TB connection with the MBP11,3 & III-D combo.

Hi@goalque, the thread you linked is mine; are you saying that if I were to run automate-eGPU.sh -a, that my random-non-POST issue should be resolved?

2 hours ago, P-Mac said:

Hi@goalque, the thread you linked is mine; are you saying that if I were to run automate-eGPU.sh -a, that my random-non-POST issue should be resolved?

I don't know, boot into OS X, turn on the -a mode, change the default startup disk to Boot Camp, restart and try.

And then repeat the steps. The -a mode is not persistent on Windows.

Hi @goalque

I'd also be interested into helping out with beta testing, but even possibly documentation (Markdown format or something) on steps to take and exceptions. 

I just "discovered" the world of eGPU and possibilities for my macbook that was overheating when playing :-)

I just bought a few parts and I want to help out (testing & docs?) as I think it's a very nice idea. I'm a developer myself but with no experience in EFI stuff. 

My current setup (not yet assembled):

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch 2013) with NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 2GB of GDDR5 memory and automatic graphics switching

AKiTiO Thunder2 PCIe Expansion Box

Asus GTX750TI-PH-2GD5, GTX750 TI, 2GB GDDR5, 128bit

MacOSX El Capitan (10.11.6)

Edit: I avoided buying GTX 1060 because of the missing drivers for MacOS, but I plan to upgrade once 1060 is usable in MacOS

Edit 2: System installed, but I got into problem now with HDMI output bug from Asus. I saw recommendations to switch vbios to Palit version to fix it, but I don't have a windows installation to do it. Was hoping to be able to test stuff by using your EFI program to somehow load Palit at boot time

Edit 3: I was able to bet Palit bios and some other GM107 bios on the card. The GM107 finally activated my output, however I get instantly I see all icons GPUPanic.cpp:127. I also tried on another MacBook 13" with El Capitan with the new bios and same behaviour.

Edit 4:

So I finally tried a lot of VBIOS for my card, and a few NVIDIA Web Drivers and various configurations and reboots, testing both automate-egpu script and the demo provided. 

So far:

- I only tested stuff in Mac OSX El Capitan

https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/183014/183014 has been the most stable VBIOS, but only outputs to VGA

- All from https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/?manufacturer=Asus&model=GTX+750+Ti are pretty stable, but none show signal on anything else ouside VGA

- I tried both from https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/153914/palit-gtx750ti-2048-140127 and https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/153797/nvidia-gtx750ti-1536-140203 and all give signal on HDMI and DVI, however all crash my OS (EL Capitan) with the NVIDIA driver

- I tried some VBIOS from forums GM107.rom and GM107BACKUP.rom both showing same behaviour as Palit 

- VGA is really annoying, as the connector is close to the bottom of case, and you need to open it up and leave card 75% only plugged in to get a monitor connection (I don't recommend this)

- I got HDMI to work with the EFI demo (after reading the forum on how it's done on page 2 and 3) for switching monitor (I will test all various VBIOSes that I've tried, but GM107 worked)

- I also got a procedure on how to flash your card on Macbook without using windows - I'm using a bootable linux and two USB sticks - I hope to release an ISO that will make it easy for everyone to just boot and flash

- When flashing I needed sometimes to restart 2-3 times the macbook until boot prompted output on HDMI port and nvflash recognised both cards

- Best results were with HDMI

I forsee no bright future for my Asus at this rate ....

Thanks

Edited by anarki

• 2 weeks later...

I have an Akitio Thunder2 box with a GTX 950 which works fine under Windows10 (1511) but it is not detected at boot time (MBP 11,3) by automate-eGPU EFI. I need to use this card on OSX 10.11.6.

Know somebody a way how to fix this issue?

Ok, managed to make my setup to work on OSX using the "Automate-eGPU EFI", but I have a problem, more exactly seems that my GPU (GTX950) can't scale to the monitor resolution (2550x1440), but instead the maximum resolution, maximum I can get is 2048x1152. The monitor it is connected to GPU by a good HDMI cable. In Windows I can get 2550x1440 resolution natively. Any ideas how to fix this issue?

I tried to plug another Thunderbolt cable from Akitio box straight to the monitor, but then no games are using the eGPU. It is around an app that can set which GPU to use like the one from windows that comes with the GeForce drivers?

@anarki

Sorry, no more unlocks. One user said thanks, and have not logged in since then. The test was to be conducted a month ago.

@Manuel Noriega

No.

https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/10057-automate-egpu-efi-mac-bootscreen-on-egpu/&do=findComment&comment=144965

@LukeHero

Normal.

On 9/25/2016 at 11:15 AM, zohozer said:

Ok, managed to make my setup to work on OSX using the "Automate-eGPU EFI", but I have a problem

The demo doesn’t automate anything in user space. It only demonstrates boot screen switching.

This project is proprietary with a company that is specialized in TB2 and TB3 expansion products certified by Intel.

On 9/28/2016 at 8:57 AM, anarki said:

@goalque Too bad, was really keen to help.

Do you have a rough timeline (i understand you're not in a hurry) to release something for the community?

I appreciate your help. I like the idea of “open eGPU for all”, but I have realized that a fully working eGPU system is dependent on all components: firmware, OS version, backplane, graphics card and its driver. With the help of my friends, I have a much better chance to provide a solution that fulfills Apple’s SLA and Intel’s rules. I can’t promise any timetable.

On 9/28/2016 at 10:59 AM, Morv said:

May that be Akitio? :P

Nope. The most observant readers know who my friends are.

• 3 weeks later...

Macmini 6,2

0x8086 0x166

rx480 detected

0x1002 0x67DF

but when i enter to boot OSX/Windows it say "Not Supported"

my Windows is MBR, do i need to change it to GPT/UEFI?

anyway to run it? I am out of option now, never got my 480 to work T_T

thanks

... Ps. After read it more carefully i got answer with LukeHero reply, So sad.

before I buy new card my old 5850 is work out of the box and a lot of people succes with eGPU, so I don't know what happen now. 

Edited by boeonoz

Thank you for your brilliant script goalque! 

My Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8G in an Aikitio Thunder 2 is working in macOS Sierra 10.12.1 Beta 5 with new Radeon4100.kext. I just took the ID from Radeon4000.kext 

I have it running on a MBP Retina 10.1 with dGPU GeForce GT 650M.

It ist much smoother with Radeon4100 and there is no Safari render lack anymore. So surfing and stuff on a 4K Display @60hz is smooth.

It is rendering faster in Final Cut Pro X and has a good LuxMark Score.

Unfortunately the Playback in Final Cut Pro X is stuttering every 2-3 seconds. So its not usable. DaVinci Resolve 12.5.2 detects the Card but crashes if enabled. So I can't use it either. 

And I could not get it to work in Windows 10. If pluged in while booting I just get a black screen. 

So I downloaded your EFI to see if it could get better, but I can´t start OSX or Windows from it or deactivate the dGPU do I need a real version? not the Demo? As I understood you just made the Demo public? Or did I do something wrong with the EFI? Or can I get it somewhere else or from you? 

Thanks!

21 hours ago, frdl said:

My Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8G in an Aikitio Thunder 2 is working in macOS Sierra 10.12.1 Beta 5 with new Radeon4100.kext. I just took the ID from Radeon4000.kext 

It ist much smoother with Radeon4100 and there is no Safari render lack anymore. So surfing and stuff on a 4K Display @60hz is smooth.

Nice to hear about your success with the RX 480. The recent macOS builds brought Metal support for Polaris, patching the white areas in Safari.

So I downloaded your EFI to see if it could get better, but I can´t start OSX or Windows from it or deactivate the dGPU do I need a real version? not the Demo? As I understood you just made the Demo public? Or did I do something wrong with the EFI? Or can I get it somewhere else or from you? 

You did nothing wrong. My previous posts answer these questions.

The demo application has the following restrictions:

• Doesn’t include “Launch on Startup” option
  • The UEFI driver is downloaded into memory from the USB stick when you power on your Mac whereas the development version reads the driver from the eGPU on the fly
  • “Load Windows”, “Load OS X” and “Disable dGPU” and “Warm restart” are restricted for a MBP11,5.
  • You still need to use automate-eGPU.sh script in OS X

Ah okay, thanks. 

I managed to get smooth playback in Final Cut Pro X with disabling the internal LCD-Display of my MBP with this App: https://github.com/Eun/DisableMonitor

Resolve does not crash anymore, but still has poor playback. Premiere crashes while trying to play something. So at least Final Cut is usable. 

The rest is probably a driver thing which will take some time to get real AMD driver from Apple?  

• 1 month later...
On 23.10.2016 at 9:43 PM, frdl said:

And I could not get it to work in Windows 10. If plugged in while booting I just get a black screen. 

Facing the same problem with Macbook 2016 13" with touchbar. I would like to participate as a tester!