ASUS n55sf 555m gt voltage overclock

Angelsky

Edit by svl7:

VBIOS with a slightly increased GPU voltage is now available in this thread:

-asus-n55sf-voltage-increase-nvidia-gt-555m.html#post15722"][Mod] Asus N55SF - voltage increase for Nvidia GT 555m

Original post:

Hi guys!

i just wanted to oc my 555m gt a bit and i'm at:

The problem is when i ply assassin's creed for example the temps are still 75-78 but the game just freezes for a bit and then i check my gpu clocks and they are reseted, no OC at all! = (

I think the main reason is my voltage that is stock but i cant change it with afterburner even if i "unlock" on settings, im really inexperience at bios flash and i would rlly love some help= (

I've seen the same gpu but on the dell M14x, i don't think i can use it really don't know any help i would be grateful

Cheers guys :smug:

Edited by svl7

Hey, welcome at T|I!

Since the 555m is soldered to the motherboard, the VBIOS is part of the system BIOS. Can you tell me what kind of BIOS your system has (manufacturer) and also provide a download link to it? Then I can take a look at it and see if I can do something.

In case I can extract and modify the VBIOS you'd need to be willing to do some testing since I don't have access to a system like yours.

Hi mate!Thx a lot!and thx for the reply!

Well i hope i'm not providing u with something dumb cuz of my ignorance, but here it goes!

ASUSTeK Computer Inc. - Notebooks- ASUS N55SF ----> download link to BIOS

I'll attach my Bios version!

Ofc i am!thx a lot one more time!just say it :)

post-1900-144949920078_thumb.jpg

post-1900-1449499200834_thumb.jpg

Edited by Angelsky

I see... an AMI BIOS. I'm not familiar with these, can't promise anything. I will have to look up some stuff, I don't even know how to properly get to the different modules with AMI BIOS. Might take a couple of days until I have to time to do some research, no idea whether I'll have success.

Was hoping for an Insyde or Phoenix BIOS :D

Also, just in the improbable case that there is a separate vbios chip on the board... try dumping the vbios with GPU-Z, by clicking on the little icon at the very right of the "BIOS Version" line.

Hmmm damn!welcoming.png

Ofc its ok, i just thank you for even trying(=

Well i tried before that's why i'm a bit more desperate cuz i don't really know what to do!lol

It says "bios reading not supported on this device" and gpuz is always stop responding don't know why!ohh what i love desktops :P

It says "bios reading not supported on this device" and gpuz is always stop responding don't know why!ohh what i love desktops :P

That's what I expected... and desktops are less fun since it's almost too easy to mod, lol. Anyway, it's not over yet, I think I found the module which includes the VBIOS, I'll take a look at it as soon as I find time.

I attached the file in case you want to take a look at it, I only took a quick look at it, but I guess it's the correct file, the VBIOS starts at offset 39EED.

[File removed]

Edited by svl7

Well, this is yours, extracted from the BIOS which you linked in the previous post :)

I will check it and see whether I can find the voltage setting (if there's one available), then I can put it back in the BIOS and you only have to flash it...

Hope it's possible, I don't have time to check it just now, but will do in the next couple of days and I'll let you know here. Would be cool to get it working just like in the M14x :)

Haha, well, I got some tools, the real pros are the guys who created these tools, not me. Anyway, I'm not 100% sure whether it's going to work, we'll see...

Is it really an AMI BIOS? (When you boot your system and enter the BIOS, can you see the AMI logo or something similar?) I'm just wondering because the way I extracted the module isn't necessarily usual for AMI BIOS.

Ok, time for testing... Thanks a lot to @Saltius for modifying the VBIOS.

Here's the repacked BIOS, flash it with the tool provided by the notebook manufacturer, or with whatever utility you prefer.

Please let me know about how well it works, i.e. how far you can overclock it, heat, etc.

A benchmark run would be great to see, e.g. 3dM11.

As always with such mods, you are responsible for what you do with your machine.

[File removed] - See -asus-n55sf-voltage-increase-nvidia-gt-555m.html#post15722"]this thread for the latest version and all details.

Edited by svl7

Ok here we go!1st of all wanted to thank and give all the credits to svl7 for unpack and repack of vbios and Saltius for vbios modding!thx guys

I just flashed bios!went successfully !was a bit nervous for some unknown error but all went well flashed it with winflash.

Edit: previous oc sucefully apply, running some benchs

Voltage upped by 0.1 as gpuz detects

Edited by Angelsky

Cool! Let me know how far you can clock it and also the temp difference... keep in mind this voltage increase only affects the core and not the memory, so it won't give you more headroom when it comes to VRAM overclocking.

Well got some nice results from bench!

I was able to upper the core from 770 to 803mhz without any OC drivers reset!

If i get further then this clocks i get a device lost from 3dmark.

Although it was just in the benchmark next step will be in-game play.

Here are some pics.

.post-1900-14494992010288_thumb.png

Without any OC it makes around 10k points on 3dmark 06 with OC:

post-1900-14494992010507_thumb.jpg

It's around ~15 more fps.

Temps stayed nicely between 70-75 lets see in game.

Edited by Angelsky