Gtx 780m upgrade

Hi all,

I am a bit new to all this but here goes. I have an Alienware M17x R3 with a gtx560m and was thinking of upgrading to the gtx780m. I have found a few cards on eBay that look right. But I have noticed some say hf on the and some say non-hf. And I have found some listings that say they are for the m17x of both sorts. Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Well I have purchased the card and am trying to install it. When I put the new card in and put it all back together and boot it up, it gets to the alienware loading screen before the windows one but the loading bar stops half full and won't go any further so I can't get into the setup with the card installed to turn off the audio and switch to PEG etc. Any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

Well i put the old card back in and deleted all the nvidia drivers and the audio drivers, went into the bios and made all the changes and it still won't load past the same screen

First i uninstalled all nvidia off computer and high definition audio from add/remove programs. Then reset and entered bios.

Went to first advanced and disabled high definition audio.

Then went to second advanced => video configuration then set primary display to PEG and then went into external graphic device and set it from auto to disabled. Then saved settings and restarted.

Then it wouldn't load past alienware screen which has the option to enter setup or boot options before the windows loading screen.

Thank you for helping me too btw

9 hours ago, _par0_ said:

Then went to second advanced => video configuration then set primary display to PEG and then went into external graphic device and set it from auto to disabled.

Do i understand you right, you switched Primary Display to PEG and then disabled PEG?

I had a look in the bios and all your settings seems to be correct.

I think there's no need to disable the internal graphic when switching tp PEG only, but that should'nt be the problem.

Maybe you have the wrong vbios on your card.

Edited by Zoldago

• 2 weeks later...

you can try going into the device manager and see if it has your card listed in the display adapters, if not the computer isnt reading your card, if you see it you can disable your other card and see if it switches if you see black or nothing happens start in safe mode go back to display adapters and renable the onboard card.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...