M17x-R3 CPU & GPU Re-Pasting Guide w/Pics!

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the tutorial helped me !! i have a m17x r3 with famous gtx580m throttling problem...I'm trying to correct the temperatures...

somebody else correct me if I am wrong but I know the M18x R1 had revised updated versions of the AMD and Nvidia heatsinks... I think at the same time the R3 did. Maybe you can get the revised heatsink?

[MENTION=4186]Alienware-Frank_L[/MENTION] I'm not sure if that was the case can you correct me if I am wrong?

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Read the whole thread.

First off, I find it amazing, how much courage you guys have, keeping in mind, that it's perfectly possible to screw ones complete hardware if i. e. applying too much paste?

Once had a DELL technician at my home, was also already astonished as his speed when repasting the CPU an my old XPS.

Wonder if I ever will try to do something like this to my AW, having the thread and what I said in mind, I guess that there are guidelines to which one can stick to at least not screw up and cause harm to the system, I'd find that a link to a tutorial, enlightening people about what they have to keep in mind when applying the paste would be great, as I guess that most errors are either done there, or when tightening the screws.

Anyhow, great Guide, so feel free to add that info whenever you want, or not, if this is basic knowledge.

Sera

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I have the new Alienware 17. Reckon the same method could be applied on the GPU since a repaste results in 2-3 degrees lower temperature during gaming. Just a couple of questions though:

1/ When I opened up the heatsink/GPU there was a noticeable amount of factory-applied thermal paste both on the heatsink AND the die, which is MUCH MORE than a grain of rice and the entire copper surface touching the die was completely in grey grease. Only by using isopropyl alchohol was I able to actually SEE the copper.

2/ I have Artic Cooling MX-3 from couple of years back. Is it still good for repasting in terms of performance?

Thanks a lot.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
On 9/18/2017 at 2:46 PM, Arodion said:

If there's more than a few people who want pictures, I am planning on redoing mine soon, I can take pictures along the way

I would love to see the pictures too but now are gone :(

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...