• [HARDWARE MOD]980m to Desktop 980 core upgrade

Khenglish

Due to a stupid accident by me, I acquired a 980m with a chunk knocked out of the core. Not wanted to scrap a perfectly good top end PCB for parts, I wanted to replace the core. You can see the gouge in the core to the left of the TFC918.01W writing near the left edge of the die.

First I had to get the dead core off:

uel9YeG.jpg

With no sellers on ebay selling GM204 cores, my only option was to buy a full card off ebay. With no mobile cards under $500,I had to get a desktop card. And with this much effort involved to do the repair, of course I got a 980 instead of a 970.

Below is the dead 980 I got off ebay:

uBLQg5Q.jpg

You can see for some reason someone removed a bunch of components between the core and PCI-E slot. I have no idea why anyone would do this. I tried the card and it was error 43. PCB bend seemed to be too little to kill the card, so those missing components had to be it.

GPUs can be dead because someone removed or installed a heatsink wrong and broke a corner of the core off, so buying cards for cores on ebay is a gamble. This core is not even scratched:

MhKJV4d.jpg

Preheating the card prior to high heat to pull the core:

FYMovFp.jpg

And core pulled. It survived the pull:

P1JD3jA.jpg

Next is the 980 core on the left cleaned of solder. On the right is the original 980m core:

PVmfFqE.jpg

Next I need to reball the 980 core, and lastly put it on the card. I am waiting for the BGA stencil to arrive from China. It still has not cleared US customs:

When that shows up expect the core to be on the card in 1-2 days.

So some potential issues with this mod besides me physically messing up:

I believe that starting with Maxwell Nvidia started flashing core configuration onto the cores, like intel does with CPUID. I believe this because I found laser cuts on a GK104 for a 680m, but could not find any on two GM204 cores. In addition, Clyde figured out device IDs on the 680m and K5000m. They are set by resistor values on the PCB. The 980m has the same resistor configuration as the 680m for the lowest nibble of the Device ID (0x13D7), but all of the resistors are absent. Filling in these resistors does nothing. Resistors do exist for the 3 and D in the device ID. Flashing a 970m vBIOS on my 980m did not change the device ID or core configuration. If this data is not stored on the PCB through straps or the vBIOS, then it must be stored on the GPU core.

So I expect the card with the 980 core to report its device ID as 0x13D0. The first 12 bits pulled from the PCB, and last 4 from the core. 0x13D0 does not exist. I may possibly be able to add it to the .inf, or I may have to change the ID on the board. With the ID's 0 hardset by the core, I can only change the device ID to 0x13C0, matching that of a desktop 980.

An additional issue may be that the core may not fully enable. Clyde put a 680 core on a K5000m and never got it to unlock to 1536 CUDA cores. We never figured out why.

Lastly, there was very tough glue holding the 980m core on. When removing this glue I scraped some of the memory PCB traces. I checked with a multimeter and these traces are still intact, but if they are significantly damaged this can be problematic for memory stability. I think they are OK though, just exposed.

Due to Clyde's lack of success in getting his 680 core to fully unlock I am concerned I might not get 2048. If I don't at least I should still have a very good chip. Desktop chips are better binned than mobile chips (most 980s are over 80% ASIC quality, while most 980ms are below 70%). In addition this 980 is a Galax 980 Hall of Fame, which are supposedly binned out of the 980 chips. Having a 90%+ ASIC would be great to have. The mid 60s chips we get in the 980m suck tons of power.

I want to give a special thanks to Mr. Fox. This card was originally his. He sent me one card to mod and one to repair. I repaired the broken one and broke the working one. The broken one is the one I've been modding.

Article update: SUCCESS!

Core finally reballed. If the mount is poor I will be very very angry...

20160718_010715.jpg

Card cooling. New brain installed.

20160718_013837.jpg

So it actually works with the 980m vBIOS. I tried modding too soon. I just needed to reinstall the driver. I only ran a very lightweight render test because right now the card is only running on 2 phases. I'm pulling the phase driver from my 980m now to get the 3rd phase back up.

!!!!!!!!!!!!.png

Follow the rest of the discussion here:

8 people like this

User Feedback

so your telling me that the 980m cores we get are the worst cores that would have been a 970?

an they call 800€ for it?!

i was really thinking we would get the very good chips due to ... "laptop" and thats what makes the price.

so basically gaming laptops r a goldmine for the manufactors?! worst quality for insane money?!

1 person likes this

Link to comment

OH YEAH, way to go KHENGLISH!!!!!!!!

you are now officially a mad scientist!!!!

YOu are officially REDDIT famous! (saw this over reddit too!)

Edited by jcagara08

Link to comment

Brother Khenglish, this is amazing.

So, in essence, you may be running a world-first MXM 980 desktop core?

So... suppose you installed that card in some really ancient machine...

Guest DCMAKER

Posted

Can you put a 980TI core in this or no? Just Curious. Will you try this with the next gen pascal cards?

Link to comment

980 TI (GM200) is built for 384 bits and the core package is far too large to fit on a 980m. GTX 1070 (GP104) cores have a smaller package than GM204 and are also incompatible. GTX 1080 is the wrong size and also wrong memory interface.

The only other compatible core is the GK104. Conversely this means the 680m, 780m, and 880m can take a 980 core if someone wrote their own vBIOS for it. The 680m kepler vBIOS has no chance at running a maxwell core. A 980m vBIOS won't work due to a completely different core VRM & power monitoring module. In addition to the vBIOS write I know at least one hardware strap would have to be changed as well.

Edited by Khenglish

Guest DCMAKER

Posted

3 hours ago, Khenglish said:

I was referring to when pascal comes out and switching 1080m with a 1080...like you did here.

K thats what i thought the 980TI is too different :'(

6 minutes ago, Guest DCMAKER said:

K thats what i thought the 980TI is too different :'(

I tried putting a GDDR5 4890 core on a GDDR3 4850m once. It was not compatible despite the BGAs on both cores looking like they should be. There will be differences in the memory interface that would prevent the 1080 core from running on the 1080m.

The only possible mod I see is moving a 1070m core onto a 1070 desktop for hwbot records.

Guest DCMAKER

Posted

1 hour ago, Khenglish said:

What changed between 980m/980 and 1080m/1080?

On 16.08.2016 at 10:53 AM, Khenglish said:

Its pretty close to a regular card. The lack of memory clocks hurts. 16078 GPU score firestrike, and 21748 GPU score 3dm11.

WOw!!!!! niceeeeeeeeee!!!!!!! super!!!!! You think it will should work with 980M in SLI mode? if i will do solder two chips on each cards?

Your card working WITHOUT any troubles and problems? How much wattage i need in my powersupply if i will do same but with two cards?

Link to comment

If two cards were modded I would expect SLI to work.

If you were using two cards you will want to have a dual power supply setup. I have hit 280W power draw out of the card at 1.2V 1502MHz.

With the 1080 coming out though such a mod has greatly lost its practicality. I only did it because I had a 980m with a dead core that I knew was otherwise fine. 980 cores are not easy to find, and I got very lucky to get one for only $143.

On 16.08.2016 at 10:53 AM, Khenglish said:

are you think i can easy will install two 1080 gtx cards into my system p870dm?

2 hours ago, Kolich said:

are you think i can easy will install two 1080 gtx cards into my system p870dm?

Two won't fit. You can only fit one, and that will need new heatsinks.

Link to comment

wow, i've recently read on this forum that someone heated there gpu in the oven because it wasn't working and thought it was a joke,

it really isn't. lol GOOD JOB

On 16.08.2016 at 10:53 AM, Khenglish said:

are you think i can easy will install two 1080 gtx cards into my system p870dm?

I think it will be good if i will install two 1080M and than put core from 1080GTX? it will fit?

Link to comment

The original p870dm cannot fit 2 1080s, and may not even be able to fit one. If it could fitnone you would need new heatsinks.

There is not much reason to change the core. Both have a 2560 cuda core count.

Link to comment

Good job, we once reflowed a laptop MB in an oven at work, it fixed the problem but the laptop allway's had a hint of burn odor coming off it.  I suspect we had too much heat.

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Already have an account? Sign in here.

• Similar Content

• By J95
      Game Ready
        •Provides the optimal gaming experience for Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War III, Heroes of the Storm 2.0, Batman: Arkham VR, Rick and Morty: Virtual Rick-ality, and Wilson's Heart.

Changes and Fixed Issues in Version 381.89
        •[Sniper Elite 3]: The game crashes. [1880113]
        •[Notebook][eDP panel]: Blue-screen (code 3B) occurs followed by the Recovery screen during software unbundling process. [1900432]
        •[GeForce GTX 1060]: Blue-screen crash occurs pointing to driver (Nvlddmkm.sys) after the system reboots from sleep mode. [1814559]
        •GPU idling voltage has increased. [1904229]

Open Issues in Version 381.89 WHQL
       Windows 10 Issues:
        •[GeForce Experience]: Driver installation may fail when attempting to perform a driver overinstall. To workaround, perform a clean installation.
        •[SLI][GeForce GTX 1080][Battlefield 1 XP1]: With SLI enabled, corruption appears in the game when switching between full-screen and windowed mode. [1889162]
        •[GeForce GTX 1080 Ti][Mass Effect: Andromeda]: Random memory errors may occur when playing the game. [1887520]
        •[GeForce GTX 1080 Ti][Sid Meirie's Civilization VI][G-Sync/SLI/DirectX 12]: Black corruption appears while entering the in-game menu after skipping the cutscene.[200283322]
        •[GeForce GTX Titan X][Ansel][Ghost Recon Wild lands]: With FXAA enabled from the NVIDIA Control Panel, the application crashes when enabling the in-game Ansel UI.[200283194]
        •Error code 43 appears in the Device Manager after installing the driver with HDMI display connected. [200283276]
        •[Pascal][Notebook]: The display remains blank while over installing the driver, requiring a reboot. [200273603]
        •[GM204, Tom Clancy's The Division Survival DLC] Game crashes, pointing to ntdll.dll when changed to full-screen and to windowed full-screen. [200252894]
        •[GM204, ShadowPlay] For Honor silently may crash if the intro video is skipped while instant replay is on. [200247313]
        •[SLI] [GeForce GTX 970M] Level loading may hang in Gears of War 4. [1826307]
        •[367.77, WDDM 2.1] Driver install/overinstall requires a reboot. [1757931]
        •[SLI, GP104] Installer prompts for a reboot during express overinstall of 372.69 driver on 372.54. [200231806]
        •[GM204] Quantum Break window either remains blank or freezes in game scene in windowed mode. [1804910]
        •Surround Display icon disappears after rotate mode is set to portrait. [200201040]
        •[SLI] Street Fighter V performance drop (pause and play) observed when the game is played at 4K resolution with SLI enabled. [200172046]
        •[Luxmark 3.0] Display driver stopped responding while running benchmark LuxBall HDR (Simple Bechmark:217K triangles). [200153736]
        •[347.09, GM204] Blank screen observed on an ASUS Tiled display when system resumes from shutdown or hibernation with Fast boot option enabled from BIOS.[1591053]

Windows 8.1/Windows 8 Issues:
        •[3DVision] While a stereoscopic 3D video with stereoscopic 3D enabled is played, the monitor refresh rate switches to 60 Hz after changing the resolution using the Windows control panel.     [1314811]
        •[Video, Notebook] The NVIDIA Control Panel video color settings have no effect on YouTube flash video playback within Internet Explorer 10. [999485]

Windows 7 Issues:
        •[GeForce GTX 1080] Battlefield 1 hangs when campaign loaded with Fast Sync enabled from the NVIDIA Control Panel. [200254350]

Software Module Versions:
        •NView - 148.47
        •HD Audio Driver - 1.3.34.26
        •NVIDIA PhysX System Software - 9.17.0329
        •GeForce Experience - 3.5.0.70
        •CUDA - 8.0

Windows 10
       64-bit
        32-bit
             Windows 7 & 8.1
       64-bit
       32-bit

• By Steppdroid
      Hi All, We can Unlock the last bios and vbios for ovc the gtx950m of Asus N552VX ? would  nice!

Specification Notebook
      Backup bios with afuwinx64

Thanks in Advance

If i try to get a backup  bios of gtx950M i get this error:
      (c) 2017 Microsoft Corporation. Tutti i diritti sono riservati. C:\WINDOWS\system32>cd C:\Users\Stefano\Desktop\NVFlash_Certs_Bypassed_v5.287_x64 C:\Users\Stefano\Desktop\NVFlash_Certs_Bypassed_v5.287_x64>nvflash -b backupbios.rom NVIDIA Firmware Update Utility (Version 5.287.0) Modified Version By Joe Dirt Adapter: GeForce GTX 950M (10DE,139A,1043,1C9D) H:--:NRM S:00,B:01,D:00,F:00 WARNING: Debug port will be disabled during EEPROM access. The display may go *BLANK* on and off for up to 10 seconds during access to the EEPROM depending on your display adapter and output device. Command failed to complete mailbox0 = FFFFFFFF Command id:000A Command: NV_UCODE_CMD_COMMAND_PREP failed Command Status:NV_UCODE_CMD_STS_NONE Error: NV_UCODE_ERR_CODE_CMD_TIMEOUT Identifying EEPROM... Command failed to complete mailbox0 = FFFFFFFF Command id:0002 Command: NV_UCODE_CMD_COMMAND_EID failed Command Status:NV_UCODE_CMD_STS_NONE Error: NV_UCODE_ERR_CODE_CMD_TIMEOUT ERROR: Error: Display adapter's EEPROM ID process failed C:\Users\Stefano\Desktop\NVFlash_Certs_Bypassed_v5.287_x64>
    • By J95
      Game Ready
        •Provides the optimal gaming experience for Quake Champions Closed Beta.

New Product Support
        •Added support for the NVIDIA TITAN Xp

New Features:
        •Added support for Windows 10 Creators Update.
        •Added DTS X and Dolby Atmos support for 5.1.2 speaker configuration.
        •Added Dolby Vision support for games.
        •Added NVIDIA®Ansel TM support for Snake Pass and Kona.
      NVIDIA Control Panel:
        •Display page: Added the option to override the Windows 10 control of desktop color settings.
        •Manage 3D Settings page: Added option to disable self-refresh power-saving feature for G-Sync.**
        **Applies to self-refresh capable notebooks using Pascal-based GPUs with G-Sync enabled.

Added or updated the following SLI profiles:
        •Descent: Underground - updated

Changes and Fixed Issues in Version 381.65:
        •[XSplit][DirectX 12 games such as Rise of the Tomb Raider]: Games experience poor performance.[1882697]
        •[GeForce GTX TITAN X][SLI][Battlefield 1- XP1 Update]: Shimmering occurs on grass and trees with SLI and in-game TAA enabled. [200289721]
        •[GeForce GTX 1070][Serious Sam HD]: Heavy flickering occurs in the game with V-sync enabled. [1881405]
        •[GeForce GTX 980 Ti]: The GPU occasionally gets stuck in a low power state after pressing Alt-Tab while playing a game.[1832415]

Software Module Versions
        •NView - 148.47
        •HD Audio Driver - 1.3.34.26
        •NVIDIA PhysX System Software - 9.17.0329
        •GeForce Experience - 3.4.0.70
        •CUDA - 8.0

Windows 10
       64-bit
        32-bit
             Windows 7 & 8.1
       64-bit
       32-bit
    • By Solaire
      Hi everyone,
      I hope I'm not going to write off-topic;
      I own an Acer Predator 15 (G951) notebook, and it never gave me problems before; I've never used the integrated audio jack port because I usually listen to music and other stuff through Bluetooth headphones, but few weeks ago I noticed that putting a jack connector in the jack port only deactivates the sound from the pc speakers, but the headphones don't appear in the "devices" section, and the sound coming out from the headphones is really faint and distorted (only if the system slider of sound is at the maximum level and the sound should be very noisy, when the level is lower I don't hear anything at all). Also, when I put a jack in the microphone jack port of the pc I hear the classic sounds of the jack which touches the pin connectors inside the port, but it doesn't happen with the headphones port. I tried almost everything: I changed a lot of headphones, both phone headphones with a single jack and pc headsets with two jacks (for the headphones and for the microphone) but every time it's the same. I installed and reinstalled a lot of different versions of the audio drivers, both from Acer and the productor (Realtek), and nothing changes, I also tried with Ubuntu and it's the same. What could be the cause, and can the problem be solved without any technic intervention? Anyway the warranty for my pc is still valid, but the assistance should be the very last resource (I should do a backup of everything and format and so on). And, the last question, I flashed a custom VBIOS some time ago, does this compromise the warranty? Should I really reflash the original VBIOS or it's not so likely they're going to check on this?

Thank you all for your attention!