• [HARDWARE MOD]980m to Desktop 980 core upgrade

Khenglish

Due to a stupid accident by me, I acquired a 980m with a chunk knocked out of the core. Not wanted to scrap a perfectly good top end PCB for parts, I wanted to replace the core. You can see the gouge in the core to the left of the TFC918.01W writing near the left edge of the die.

First I had to get the dead core off:

uel9YeG.jpg

With no sellers on ebay selling GM204 cores, my only option was to buy a full card off ebay. With no mobile cards under $500,I had to get a desktop card. And with this much effort involved to do the repair, of course I got a 980 instead of a 970.

Below is the dead 980 I got off ebay:

uBLQg5Q.jpg

You can see for some reason someone removed a bunch of components between the core and PCI-E slot. I have no idea why anyone would do this. I tried the card and it was error 43. PCB bend seemed to be too little to kill the card, so those missing components had to be it.

GPUs can be dead because someone removed or installed a heatsink wrong and broke a corner of the core off, so buying cards for cores on ebay is a gamble. This core is not even scratched:

MhKJV4d.jpg

Preheating the card prior to high heat to pull the core:

FYMovFp.jpg

And core pulled. It survived the pull:

P1JD3jA.jpg

Next is the 980 core on the left cleaned of solder. On the right is the original 980m core:

PVmfFqE.jpg

Next I need to reball the 980 core, and lastly put it on the card. I am waiting for the BGA stencil to arrive from China. It still has not cleared US customs:

When that shows up expect the core to be on the card in 1-2 days.

So some potential issues with this mod besides me physically messing up:

I believe that starting with Maxwell Nvidia started flashing core configuration onto the cores, like intel does with CPUID. I believe this because I found laser cuts on a GK104 for a 680m, but could not find any on two GM204 cores. In addition, Clyde figured out device IDs on the 680m and K5000m. They are set by resistor values on the PCB. The 980m has the same resistor configuration as the 680m for the lowest nibble of the Device ID (0x13D7), but all of the resistors are absent. Filling in these resistors does nothing. Resistors do exist for the 3 and D in the device ID. Flashing a 970m vBIOS on my 980m did not change the device ID or core configuration. If this data is not stored on the PCB through straps or the vBIOS, then it must be stored on the GPU core.

So I expect the card with the 980 core to report its device ID as 0x13D0. The first 12 bits pulled from the PCB, and last 4 from the core. 0x13D0 does not exist. I may possibly be able to add it to the .inf, or I may have to change the ID on the board. With the ID's 0 hardset by the core, I can only change the device ID to 0x13C0, matching that of a desktop 980.

An additional issue may be that the core may not fully enable. Clyde put a 680 core on a K5000m and never got it to unlock to 1536 CUDA cores. We never figured out why.

Lastly, there was very tough glue holding the 980m core on. When removing this glue I scraped some of the memory PCB traces. I checked with a multimeter and these traces are still intact, but if they are significantly damaged this can be problematic for memory stability. I think they are OK though, just exposed.

Due to Clyde's lack of success in getting his 680 core to fully unlock I am concerned I might not get 2048. If I don't at least I should still have a very good chip. Desktop chips are better binned than mobile chips (most 980s are over 80% ASIC quality, while most 980ms are below 70%). In addition this 980 is a Galax 980 Hall of Fame, which are supposedly binned out of the 980 chips. Having a 90%+ ASIC would be great to have. The mid 60s chips we get in the 980m suck tons of power.

I want to give a special thanks to Mr. Fox. This card was originally his. He sent me one card to mod and one to repair. I repaired the broken one and broke the working one. The broken one is the one I've been modding.

Article update: SUCCESS!

Core finally reballed. If the mount is poor I will be very very angry...

20160718_010715.jpg

Card cooling. New brain installed.

20160718_013837.jpg

So it actually works with the 980m vBIOS. I tried modding too soon. I just needed to reinstall the driver. I only ran a very lightweight render test because right now the card is only running on 2 phases. I'm pulling the phase driver from my 980m now to get the 3rd phase back up.

!!!!!!!!!!!!.png

Follow the rest of the discussion here:

8 people like this

User Feedback

so your telling me that the 980m cores we get are the worst cores that would have been a 970?

an they call 800€ for it?!

i was really thinking we would get the very good chips due to ... "laptop" and thats what makes the price.

so basically gaming laptops r a goldmine for the manufactors?! worst quality for insane money?!

1 person likes this

Link to comment

OH YEAH, way to go KHENGLISH!!!!!!!!

you are now officially a mad scientist!!!!

YOu are officially REDDIT famous! (saw this over reddit too!)

Edited by jcagara08

Link to comment

Brother Khenglish, this is amazing.

So, in essence, you may be running a world-first MXM 980 desktop core?

So... suppose you installed that card in some really ancient machine...

Guest DCMAKER

Posted

Can you put a 980TI core in this or no? Just Curious. Will you try this with the next gen pascal cards?

Link to comment

980 TI (GM200) is built for 384 bits and the core package is far too large to fit on a 980m. GTX 1070 (GP104) cores have a smaller package than GM204 and are also incompatible. GTX 1080 is the wrong size and also wrong memory interface.

The only other compatible core is the GK104. Conversely this means the 680m, 780m, and 880m can take a 980 core if someone wrote their own vBIOS for it. The 680m kepler vBIOS has no chance at running a maxwell core. A 980m vBIOS won't work due to a completely different core VRM & power monitoring module. In addition to the vBIOS write I know at least one hardware strap would have to be changed as well.

Edited by Khenglish

Guest DCMAKER

Posted

3 hours ago, Khenglish said:

I was referring to when pascal comes out and switching 1080m with a 1080...like you did here.

K thats what i thought the 980TI is too different :'(

6 minutes ago, Guest DCMAKER said:

K thats what i thought the 980TI is too different :'(

I tried putting a GDDR5 4890 core on a GDDR3 4850m once. It was not compatible despite the BGAs on both cores looking like they should be. There will be differences in the memory interface that would prevent the 1080 core from running on the 1080m.

The only possible mod I see is moving a 1070m core onto a 1070 desktop for hwbot records.

Guest DCMAKER

Posted

1 hour ago, Khenglish said:

What changed between 980m/980 and 1080m/1080?

On 16.08.2016 at 10:53 AM, Khenglish said:

Its pretty close to a regular card. The lack of memory clocks hurts. 16078 GPU score firestrike, and 21748 GPU score 3dm11.

WOw!!!!! niceeeeeeeeee!!!!!!! super!!!!! You think it will should work with 980M in SLI mode? if i will do solder two chips on each cards?

Your card working WITHOUT any troubles and problems? How much wattage i need in my powersupply if i will do same but with two cards?

Link to comment

If two cards were modded I would expect SLI to work.

If you were using two cards you will want to have a dual power supply setup. I have hit 280W power draw out of the card at 1.2V 1502MHz.

With the 1080 coming out though such a mod has greatly lost its practicality. I only did it because I had a 980m with a dead core that I knew was otherwise fine. 980 cores are not easy to find, and I got very lucky to get one for only $143.

On 16.08.2016 at 10:53 AM, Khenglish said:

are you think i can easy will install two 1080 gtx cards into my system p870dm?

2 hours ago, Kolich said:

are you think i can easy will install two 1080 gtx cards into my system p870dm?

Two won't fit. You can only fit one, and that will need new heatsinks.

Link to comment

wow, i've recently read on this forum that someone heated there gpu in the oven because it wasn't working and thought it was a joke,

it really isn't. lol GOOD JOB

On 16.08.2016 at 10:53 AM, Khenglish said:

are you think i can easy will install two 1080 gtx cards into my system p870dm?

I think it will be good if i will install two 1080M and than put core from 1080GTX? it will fit?

Link to comment

The original p870dm cannot fit 2 1080s, and may not even be able to fit one. If it could fitnone you would need new heatsinks.

There is not much reason to change the core. Both have a 2560 cuda core count.

Link to comment

Good job, we once reflowed a laptop MB in an oven at work, it fixed the problem but the laptop allway's had a hint of burn odor coming off it.  I suspect we had too much heat.

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Already have an account? Sign in here.

• Similar Content

• By FPSmadMEDIC
      Thanks to Joedirt recently for setting me up with a custom vBIOS for my ASUS ROG G750JM. I am having a little trouble figuring out how to adjust my voltage. Once the vBIOS is flashed the voltage is baked in so the slider does nothing. Joedirt took care of me plenty so I dont want to go hounding him for this advice and would rather ask the community. I can get the voltage to run at 0.987v or 1.193v one is not enough and the other is too much even with no OC it gets the GPU too hot too fast I would like to learn how to adjust the Voltage Table so that I can get 1.06-1.1v on my chip so I can OC and still not over heat. The stock vBIOS set it at 1.034v which I could OC my Memory +450mhz and my core +135mhz no problem. I would like to run at +280mhz or 1300mhz core and +395mhz Memory or 1450mhz Memory but that is not stable at 0.987v and gets to the 92c temp limit super fast with 1.193v. . .
    • By 09williamsad
      I have  Lenovo e540 with an EXP GDC Beast 8.4d and a GTX 660.
      The nvidia display driver crashes with a black screen for a few seconds when launching some games or when the egpu is used for a while, it sometimes will recover
      My external power supply is 350W and the card has a power consumption of 140W so I do not think this is a power issue.

"Event 4101
      Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

What I have tried:
      A GTS450 instead of the GTX 660.
      Setting the PCIe port to Gen 1 in egpu setup.
      Setting the PCIe port to Gen 2 in egpu setup.
      Setting the Nvidia power management to maximize performance in the Nvidia control panel.
      Going back to the driver version 327.23, I got a blue screen instead of a crash when using this version.
      Disabling HDMI audio in the Nvidia control panel.

Any suggestions or advice on this issue?

• By J95
      Game Ready
        •Provides the optimal gaming experience for Tekken 7 and Star Trek Bridge Crew.

Added or updated the following 3D Vision profiles:
        •Tekken 7 - Fair

Changes and Fixed Issues in Version 382.33:
        •[TITAN X][3D Vision][Windows 10 Creator’s Update]: The Windows Store does notopen when 3D Vision is enabled. [1906805]
        •[GeForce GTX 1080Ti][Prey 2]: Stuttering occurs during gameplay. [1902201]
        •[GeForce GTX 1070][Windows 10 Creator’s Update]: In multi-display mode, extended monitors cannot be be put into sleep mode. [1916554]
        •[GeForce GTX 1060]: Blue-screen crash occurs pointing to driver (Nvlddmkm.sys) after the system reboots from sleep mode. [1814559]
        •[GeForce GTX 970][SLI]: SLI cannot be enable unless Norton 360 is disabled or Windows is booted in Safe Mode. [1919094]

Software Module Versions
        •NView - 148.47
        •HD Audio Driver - 1.3.34.26
        •NVIDIA PhysX System Software - 9.17.0329
        •GeForce Experience - 3.6.0.74
        •CUDA - 8.0

Windows 10
       64-bit
        32-bit
             Windows 7 & 8.1
       64-bit
       32-bit

• By An0npl4y
      Hello all here at T|I, I have good news!

OK so it's a lon,g story, I'll try to make it short but I want to give as much informations as possible so it can help anyone interested about such project.

The story is how to go from this (stock 675m):

To this (MSI GTX 1070 MXM):

I used to be a gamer when I was younger, then I worked a lot and had no time to play. I came back to gaming last year, and noticed my 2012 M17X R4 was not really up to date for gaming, so it needed to be upgraded. Before you try to do the same, you must be sure you have pretty good knowledge of computer hardware and software, because you may brick your laptop or your GPU in this process, be careful!

In order to get a MSI GTX 1070 MXM fully working on a Alienware M17X R4, you need:

- unlocked BIOS
      - the 120 Hz screen
      - UEFI boot with GPT partition
      - find a MSI GTX 1070 MXM
      - dremel the chassis
      - mod the heatsink so it can fit the GPU
      - make good BIOS settings so you can boot with the new GPU
      - install driver with modded .inf
      - fix GPU throttling issue

OK, let's go for the big upgrade, step by step.

Unlocked BIOS

Eveything you need to know is here: https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/1516-m17x-r4-unlocked-bios-versions/ Thanks to svl7 for this great share!

120 Hz screen

You can find it on Ebay, for example here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/162380820165?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
      It's required because pascal GPUs need EDP mode to run. The nice thing is there is one LVDS connector in M17X R4 motherboard, even if you have a 60 Hz screen, so you can make the upgrade.
      It's pretty easy to install, but you may have no boot issue with it, like I had. This is when I had to install unlocked BIOS so I can set graphic settings which let laptop boot with the 120 Hz screen. From what I remember, required setting  was "Primary display" to PEG, see here:

GPT partition and UEFI BOOT

I had MBR partition, and since I'm using my laptop for working I didn't want to reinstall everything. I used a very nice tool to convert my system SSD parition from MBR to GPT called EASEUS Partition Master (they also provide partition and data recovery tools for years, maybe you already know this company): http://www.easeus.com/partition-manager-software/convert-mbr-to-gpt.html
      They offered a discount so is cost me around 30$ to convert without having to reinstall, which is cheap for the time and all datas it saved me.

Then, you just need to make sure your boot options are set to pure UEFI, which means Load Legacy option ROM is disabled, here in the BIOS:

I noticed it can't be disabled if you're running a GPU which vbios doesn't have UEFI compliant driver. If this is the case, you'll get the "can't detect MXM card GOP driver" error like this:

Once again, thanks to svl7 you can fix this using vbios with UEFI driver for your GPU: https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/2079-m14x-r2-m17x-r4-m18x-r2-uefi-fast-boot-secure-boot-gpu-issues-solved/ This is not what I did, I just enabled integrated graphics again (it's UEFI compliant), so I can disable Load legacy option. Then I could put the 1070 in, and boot successfully. With this option enabled, I had 8 beeps "GPU not recognized" error at boot, stuck with no POST like a loser.

GO BUY A GTX 1070 MXM

Here too, you can get headaches. It's expensive, and hard to find. I searched a lot, and I can give you a few advices. For me, you have mainly 3 choices:

- contact Lee James Wood, who is member of this forum and very serious seller: https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/profile/3501-lee-james-wood/
      You can also check his website: https://store.alezka.com/en/ and his Ebay store: http://stores.ebay.com/woodzstack666?_trksid=p2047675.l2563
      I must say I contacted him, and at one point I had no answer, so I contacted another seller. But he explained me it was because for some reason he didn't received notification from the forum so he didn't knew my message, and missed the sale. But even he was not the seller, he gave me some advices which were really helpful when I was stuck with 8 beeps no boot problem because of the Legacy mode yesterday. Thanks a lot man, maybe you missed this sale but I'm sure you'll get lot of others since you're so helpful, thanks again!

- go buy directly from China, where you can find it much cheaper. You have one chinese marketplace to rule them all: it's called taobao: https://world.taobao.com/
      Problem is if you don't speak chinese, you may have trouble just to get their chat software working, it's same kind as alibaba trade manager for those who knows. So buying from taobao is like entring an unknown area, sellers there mostly only speak chinese, some don't want to sell out of China, so it's really weird to buy from there. But prices are really interesting, for example around 3000 Yuans (410$) for a GTX 1060 MXM, and around 4900 yuans (665$) for a GTX 1070 MXM. If you're looking for a cheap pascal MXM GPU, this may feel like heaven:

-instead of trying to learn chinese, find a way to make dropship. There are lot of companies for taobao drophip, like Yoybuy for example.
      I found a russian MSI forum member whose nickname is Onside182, his name is Andrew and I made the deal with him. He knows Taobao sellers, so he dealt with that for me. He was serious and helpful too, and you can chose to contact him on russian forum: https://forum-ru.msi.com/index.php?action=profile;u=1111063 (you must be registered there to see his profile), or just contact me so I give you his email address, he'll deal for your taobao order and you can pay him with paypal.

Let's make some room inside

Yeah  know it's bad, but honestly I don't care about chassis integrity when it's time to get overkill Firestrike score. So yes, you have to dremel the chassis to make some room so the MSI GTX 1070 will fit in. First, you need to disassemble the whole laptop, so you can get the motherboard out:

You need to remove little sides on the MXM connector, so the card can fit in. Before

After:

You must get a modified MXM connector like that:

Then you also need to cut part of the chassis, here is the result:

Now, you can install the card:

MOD the GPU heatsink to improve cooling

Here you have 2 ways: keep stock heatsink, and mod it so it can fit as explained here: https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/10982-m17x-r4-gtx-1060-upgrade/#comment-155003
      Or build a custom made heatsink. This is what I did, I ordered this heatsink with the GPU: https://world.taobao.com/item/540331819333.htm?spm=a312a.7700714.0.0.ZzDuN1#detail%201%20sortie%20sur%20le%20cot%C3%A9%20ok%20et%204%C3%A8me%20stripe%20pour%20cpu%20ok
      It was designed for a MSI computer, but it can be modified for the M17X R4 since copper stripes are soldered horizontally. You need to unsolder it, and solder the copper stripes and radiator from stock heatsink instead. You also need to cut off the part which must cover the CPU heatsink, which is not useful. This way, you have a more efficient heatsink, because it was designed for pascal GPU:

Soldering heatsinks is crap, when you heat one side, you can easily unsolder the other side by mistake because all heat will be transmitted everywhere very quicly. The trick is to put side you don't want to unsolder in water, and heat the other side where you want to unsolder with a torch. But I warn you: soldering this stuff is a real nightmare.
      With my modded heatsink (which is so ugly and crappy I can't even make picture of it for now), I reached 72°C max while benchmarking, which seems to be pretty good temp. Right now writing on forum, GPU temp is at 55°c.

Spend some time finding the good BIOS settings

You'll have to try out some settings, and you may have no boot issues, black screens, and many errors. You'll feel very lonely at this time, I know. But searching forums saved me most of the time! If you're in trouble, just search and ask

You can boot? Well you still have to wait a little until it works!

Once we're here, we can boot with the GTX 1070 inside the laptop, and it appears as something like Microsoft basic display in Windows device manager. So we need to download official driver from Nvidia, extract it and mod the .inf file. I used this howto: http://null-bin.blogspot.fr/2015/08/how-to-modify-nvidia-notebook-driver.html
      There are many others, it's well documented on the web.

Lines I added are those ones:

%NVIDIA_DEV.1BE1.057B.1028% = Section408, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1BE1&SUBSYS_057B1028 and NVIDIA_DEV.1BE1.057B.1028 = "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070" Then it just installed fine after disabling Windows driver signature enforcement of course. I could even install whole Nvidia Geforce experience stuff.

The GPU POWER LIMIT throttling issue

OK so you think it's installed, now it's over, after all those countless hours searching, testing and tweaking our good old M17X R4? Of course you launch a benchmark, and now you notice another problem. GPU core frequency is good, then it goes low, then it goes high again, then low again... GPU is throttling. I went into HWinfo, and noticed GPU power consumption was going higher than 110W, then I had GPU throttle, it went down around 50W, then it went up again, and so on... I searched and found nothing. I thought it was because I only have 240W PSU and I must change for a 330W one. Then and angel appeared and said to me "Hey, man, this must be a BIOS setting related issue, just fix it". So I went in the BIOS again, and I noticed this setting called "adapter warning". I just disabled it, and now it's running fine. When checking, I can see I still have POWER LIMIT message, but it doesn't slow down GPU frequency, no throttling anymore.

This is the funny part where the 2012 laptop kicks ass to BGA craps

Yeahhhhhhhhhhhh!!! We can say we made it, the MSI GTX 1070 is working in the Alienware M17X R4:

Now, please have a look at this latest Alienware 17 R3 (BGA crap) Firestrike result: http://www.3dmark.com/fs/8941795 Yeah I know, this is serious expensive hardware we have here: a 6820HK CPU and a GTX 1070, such Alienware laptop must cost around 2500$, no? Of course, my poor old laptop cannot not beat this beast, what do you think?

Here is benchmak I just made today, with little OC, it's not optimized at all: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/19201328

Ladies and gentlemen, on the left we have my 2012 M17X R4, and on the right a brand new 17 R3: http://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/12289770/fs/8941795

To finish, before I can go at last trying to play GTA 5 at maxxed out settings, here are some links which were very useful, and can help if you want to make such mods.

MSI 1070 in Alienware ranger by loafer987: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/msi-1070-in-alienware-17-r1-ranger-success.797893/
      German Alienware forum with huge CPU and GPU heatsink mods: http://alienware-forum.de/index.php/Thread/7254-AW-17-R1-CPU-Heatsink-Pipe-Mod/
      Zotac BOX GTX 1070 MXM in Alienware 17: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/alienware-17-r5-gtx-1070-mxm-3-1b.800137/

I hope sharing all those informations helped M17X R4 owners to keep faith in this old good laptop. I'm pretty sure it can also handle a GTX 1080 by the way, if someone is willing to try (I can't be the guinea pig for the next step) it would be nice
    • By Wunderforce
      Specs:
      Windows 7
      Lenovo w510
      12 g ddr3 ram
      intel i7 Q720 @1.6ghz
      discreet card: Nvidia Quadro Fx 880M
      egpu setup: GTx 960 card hooked up via exp-gdc v8 dock via pci express card
      Using dell 220w psu (12v, 18Amp)
      Using an external monitor hooked to 960 via hdmi

The Problem:
      Drivers successfully installed, device manager shows GTX 960 and shows it functioning properly. However, no external monitor can be detected.  Aditionally, when installing the 960 drivers, it broke the 880M (shows up as error code 43 in device manager iirc).  So currently I'm stuck with crappy display on the internal monitor (internal graphics? even though I don't have intel integrated graphics..) and no external monitor detected.

I read in the FAQ section that trying to get a dgpu and egpu from nvidia to work is about getting them to run on the same drivers, but it was not clear at all about how to go about doing that.  Plus the cards are so far apart in age I'm not sure how to even begin to go about trying to find a drive that will run both.

What I have done so far:
      Disabled pci power managment, this allowed the egpu to be sucessfully detected.  Showed up in device manager as "generic vga device" or something like that.  Downloaded and installed appropriate nvidia drivers for 960, restarted computer. Computer running on crappy internal(?) graphics card (cant even display full screen resolution) , error for dgpu in device manager (error only goes away after uninstalling 960 drivers and reinstalling dgpu drivers), 960 shown as working fine.  Disabled dgpu in device manager (I don't have the option to in the bios for some strange reason, screen shot attached), restarted.  Upon restart device manager shows 960 working fine, however, no external monitor detected and computer internal dsiplay still running on crappy internal(?) graphics card (cant even display full screen resolution).

Any help would be much appreciated.  I feel like I should be pretty close since the egpu was detected and is shown as running ok in the device manager...