Jump to content
Latest News
  • Apologies for the downtime. We had to update our backend and theme.
  • We will continue pushing updates.
  • Apologies for the downtime. We had to update our backend and theme.
  • We will continue pushing updates.
  • [HARDWARE MOD]980m to Desktop 980 core upgrade

Khenglish

Due to a stupid accident by me, I acquired a 980m with a chunk knocked out of the core. Not wanted to scrap a perfectly good top end PCB for parts, I wanted to replace the core. You can see the gouge in the core to the left of the TFC918.01W writing near the left edge of the die.

First I had to get the dead core off:

uel9YeG.jpg

With no sellers on ebay selling GM204 cores, my only option was to buy a full card off ebay. With no mobile cards under $500,I had to get a desktop card. And with this much effort involved to do the repair, of course I got a 980 instead of a 970.

Below is the dead 980 I got off ebay:

uBLQg5Q.jpg

You can see for some reason someone removed a bunch of components between the core and PCI-E slot. I have no idea why anyone would do this. I tried the card and it was error 43. PCB bend seemed to be too little to kill the card, so those missing components had to be it.

GPUs can be dead because someone removed or installed a heatsink wrong and broke a corner of the core off, so buying cards for cores on ebay is a gamble. This core is not even scratched:

MhKJV4d.jpg

Preheating the card prior to high heat to pull the core:

FYMovFp.jpg

And core pulled. It survived the pull:

P1JD3jA.jpg

Next is the 980 core on the left cleaned of solder. On the right is the original 980m core:

PVmfFqE.jpg

Next I need to reball the 980 core, and lastly put it on the card. I am waiting for the BGA stencil to arrive from China. It still has not cleared US customs:

When that shows up expect the core to be on the card in 1-2 days.

So some potential issues with this mod besides me physically messing up:

I believe that starting with Maxwell Nvidia started flashing core configuration onto the cores, like intel does with CPUID. I believe this because I found laser cuts on a GK104 for a 680m, but could not find any on two GM204 cores. In addition, Clyde figured out device IDs on the 680m and K5000m. They are set by resistor values on the PCB. The 980m has the same resistor configuration as the 680m for the lowest nibble of the Device ID (0x13D7), but all of the resistors are absent. Filling in these resistors does nothing. Resistors do exist for the 3 and D in the device ID. Flashing a 970m vBIOS on my 980m did not change the device ID or core configuration. If this data is not stored on the PCB through straps or the vBIOS, then it must be stored on the GPU core.

So I expect the card with the 980 core to report its device ID as 0x13D0. The first 12 bits pulled from the PCB, and last 4 from the core. 0x13D0 does not exist. I may possibly be able to add it to the .inf, or I may have to change the ID on the board. With the ID's 0 hardset by the core, I can only change the device ID to 0x13C0, matching that of a desktop 980.

An additional issue may be that the core may not fully enable. Clyde put a 680 core on a K5000m and never got it to unlock to 1536 CUDA cores. We never figured out why.

Lastly, there was very tough glue holding the 980m core on. When removing this glue I scraped some of the memory PCB traces. I checked with a multimeter and these traces are still intact, but if they are significantly damaged this can be problematic for memory stability. I think they are OK though, just exposed.

Due to Clyde's lack of success in getting his 680 core to fully unlock I am concerned I might not get 2048. If I don't at least I should still have a very good chip. Desktop chips are better binned than mobile chips (most 980s are over 80% ASIC quality, while most 980ms are below 70%). In addition this 980 is a Galax 980 Hall of Fame, which are supposedly binned out of the 980 chips. Having a 90%+ ASIC would be great to have. The mid 60s chips we get in the 980m suck tons of power.

I want to give a special thanks to Mr. Fox. This card was originally his. He sent me one card to mod and one to repair. I repaired the broken one and broke the working one. The broken one is the one I've been modding.

Article update: SUCCESS!

Core finally reballed. If the mount is poor I will be very very angry...

20160718_010715.jpg

Card cooling. New brain installed.

20160718_013837.jpg

So it actually works with the 980m vBIOS. I tried modding too soon. I just needed to reinstall the driver. I only ran a very lightweight render test because right now the card is only running on 2 phases. I'm pulling the phase driver from my 980m now to get the 3rd phase back up.

!!!!!!!!!!!!.png

Follow the rest of the discussion here:

Report Article

User Feedback

so your telling me that the 980m cores we get are the worst cores that would have been a 970?

an they call 800€ for it?!

i was really thinking we would get the very good chips due to ... "laptop" and thats what makes the price.

so basically gaming laptops r a goldmine for the manufactors?! worst quality for insane money?!

Link to comment

OH YEAH, way to go KHENGLISH!!!!!!!!

you are now officially a mad scientist!!!!

YOu are officially REDDIT famous! (saw this over reddit too!)

Edited by jcagara08

Link to comment

Brother Khenglish, this is amazing.

So, in essence, you may be running a world-first MXM 980 desktop core?

So... suppose you installed that card in some really ancient machine...

Guest DCMAKER

Posted · Report

Can you put a 980TI core in this or no? Just Curious. Will you try this with the next gen pascal cards?

Link to comment

980 TI (GM200) is built for 384 bits and the core package is far too large to fit on a 980m. GTX 1070 (GP104) cores have a smaller package than GM204 and are also incompatible. GTX 1080 is the wrong size and also wrong memory interface.

The only other compatible core is the GK104. Conversely this means the 680m, 780m, and 880m can take a 980 core if someone wrote their own vBIOS for it. The 680m kepler vBIOS has no chance at running a maxwell core. A 980m vBIOS won't work due to a completely different core VRM & power monitoring module. In addition to the vBIOS write I know at least one hardware strap would have to be changed as well.

Edited by Khenglish

Guest DCMAKER

Posted · Report

3 hours ago, Khenglish said:

I was referring to when pascal comes out and switching 1080m with a 1080...like you did here.

K thats what i thought the 980TI is too different :'(

6 minutes ago, Guest DCMAKER said:

K thats what i thought the 980TI is too different :'(

I tried putting a GDDR5 4890 core on a GDDR3 4850m once. It was not compatible despite the BGAs on both cores looking like they should be. There will be differences in the memory interface that would prevent the 1080 core from running on the 1080m.

The only possible mod I see is moving a 1070m core onto a 1070 desktop for hwbot records.

Guest DCMAKER

Posted · Report

1 hour ago, Khenglish said:

What changed between 980m/980 and 1080m/1080?

On 16.08.2016 at 10:53 AM, Khenglish said:

Its pretty close to a regular card. The lack of memory clocks hurts. 16078 GPU score firestrike, and 21748 GPU score 3dm11.

WOw!!!!! niceeeeeeeeee!!!!!!! super!!!!! You think it will should work with 980M in SLI mode? if i will do solder two chips on each cards?

Your card working WITHOUT any troubles and problems? How much wattage i need in my powersupply if i will do same but with two cards?

Link to comment

If two cards were modded I would expect SLI to work.

If you were using two cards you will want to have a dual power supply setup. I have hit 280W power draw out of the card at 1.2V 1502MHz.

With the 1080 coming out though such a mod has greatly lost its practicality. I only did it because I had a 980m with a dead core that I knew was otherwise fine. 980 cores are not easy to find, and I got very lucky to get one for only $143.

On 16.08.2016 at 10:53 AM, Khenglish said:

are you think i can easy will install two 1080 gtx cards into my system p870dm?

2 hours ago, Kolich said:

are you think i can easy will install two 1080 gtx cards into my system p870dm?

Two won't fit. You can only fit one, and that will need new heatsinks.

Link to comment

wow, i've recently read on this forum that someone heated there gpu in the oven because it wasn't working and thought it was a joke,

it really isn't. lol GOOD JOB

On 16.08.2016 at 10:53 AM, Khenglish said:

are you think i can easy will install two 1080 gtx cards into my system p870dm?

I think it will be good if i will install two 1080M and than put core from 1080GTX? it will fit?

Link to comment

The original p870dm cannot fit 2 1080s, and may not even be able to fit one. If it could fitnone you would need new heatsinks.

There is not much reason to change the core. Both have a 2560 cuda core count.

Link to comment

Good job, we once reflowed a laptop MB in an oven at work, it fixed the problem but the laptop allway's had a hint of burn odor coming off it.  I suspect we had too much heat.

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Already have an account? Sign in here.

• Similar Content

• By 71hourahmed
      I'm looking at finally upgrading my m17x from its old 7970m to a 980m, but the person I contacted to buy the card from warned me that the 980m requires a 200W power supply, and win10 (I'm still on 7, but I can upgrade easily enough, so that shouldn't be too much of a problem).

I have read that the 7970m only required 100W, so I have no idea if my laptop would even be able to power the 980m or whether this would just be a waste of several hundred pounds. Can anyone clarify?

Also, I have read on here that installing a new card in an m17x require you to manually update the video drivers, but I'm afraid that I'm not quite sure what that means, exactly - would I need to rely on kindly users on here to keep uploading new modded versions of the video drivers in perpetuity, or is it just that I need to somehow tweak the installation on new drivers in future?
    • By Polip
      Hello I'm lookig for 870m performance vBIOS, any possibilities for help ?
    • By Rappid Rabbit
      i was wanting to upgrade my clevo p151sm1(not -a) that has a gtx 765m to a 970m or 965m and wondering if its possible to do before i go buying the gpu and have it not work (cpu is i5 4300m)
    • By Brian
      So now that we've had ample time to digest all the new AMD Vega 56/64 reviews and information, lets start a discussion about them. Performance wise, the Vega 56 more or less equals a GTX 1070 while the Vega 64 lines up with a GTX 1080. However, to many people's dismay, the Vega 64 is far too overpriced with the cheapest one currently available on Newegg being an XFX one for $689 which is nearly the same price as a GTX 1080 Ti but about 35-40% slower.

In addition, both the Vega 56 and 64 use more power than their counterparts and this especially applies to the Vega 64 with it nearly consuming twice as much power as the GTX 1080. Some of the reasons I've read over the internet from Vega buyers for their purchases are the ability to utilize their FreeSync monitors as well as some Linux uses.

I know our community here also utilizes desktop GPUs for eGPU uses and AMD does support eGPU now so with that in mind, do you plan to purchase a Vega 56 or 64 and if so, why?
×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.