Jump to content
Latest News
  • Apologies for the downtime. We had to update our backend and theme.
  • We will continue pushing updates.
  • Apologies for the downtime. We had to update our backend and theme.
  • We will continue pushing updates.

Fighting the Heat in Alienware Notebooks

killerii

I've seen a few people asking about heat and I thought I would chime in and say a few ways to keep down the heat! There are a few ways you go about this without opening the computer, for those who aren't to sure about taking a screwdriver to their laptop it may help you. In saying that, if your fans are dirty then this will not help you at all.

I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY TO ANY DAMAGE HARDWARE! ANY CHANGES YOU MAKE ARE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

INCREASING THE FAN SPEED

to control your fans use this

this is a free program that alot of people use on various computers. it work on alienwares well but im yet to test ROG and MSI with it.

its pretty simple to use

install it and get to this page and click on the sensors button

Picture

then on the next screen click the small fan icon at the bottom

Picture

unless you want to manually adjust your fan between each time you play click customer auto and you can edit it from there

Picture

UNDERCLOCKING

download and install NV tools it can manage fan speeds too but its not always 100% in laptops

on the left hand side, under the performance tab, select device settings

nvidia-system-tools-overclock1.jpg

now just slide it back in small steps until you are comfortable with the temps. remember that if your computer blue screens it DOES NOT mean your computer has been damaged. it is simply a way for the computer to avoid damage.

adjust the slider in intervals of about 15mhz to be safe and click apply each time.

start on the core clock and finish on the memory. Every now and again it is good to check on your progress to see how far you need to go. (more on this later)

MSI after burner is a good one too

msi-afterburner-userskins-foreground.png

again the fan control is a bit hit and miss with it but it can control your clock speed. ass per the program above keep going untill you hit a STABLE setting you want.

TESTING

here we will look at the new GPU temps after the tune.

MSI Kombustor is a great way to test your heat.

Kombustor.jpg

click on stability and watch the temps. if you see any artefacts stop the test and increase the mhz by 15mhz each

fur mark is the one that i use to test the heat of my alienware

aim for about 70-75*C.

hope this helps you a bit.:hyper:

PS avoid EVGA's tuning tool on alienware i have heard it can brick your LCD!

CLEANING THE FANS

Just for the sake of it ill give you a few tips on cleaning your laptops fans out.

assuming you already know the basics of using a screwdriver to open a laptop ill cover a few things to help you.

REMEMBER, IF YOU REMOVE THE HEATSINK YOU WILL NEED NEW THERMAL PASTE!

compressed air is a great way to remove dust and id recommend having a can of it over a compressor. The reason being is that some compressors can fill with a bit of water and can spray it directly into the computer.

you can spray the air into the vents and while it wont really "clean" it it may open enough room for air to pass out. i DO NOT recomend this however.

after opening up the computer and removing the fan take a paint brush and clean the entire fan, get as much of the dust out as you physically can.

you can use toothbrushes too if you dont have anything else.

111018r4m49phmhb29b84a.jpg

make sure you clean the grill behind the fan too as that is where the dust usually builds up.

1_body.jpg

removing this dust and hair is the most important part of this clean up.

now on to thermal paste.

remove all the old thermal paste from the heat sink and the CPU with a dry cloth then, use isopropyl alcohol to clean the rest.

some people seem to think that more is better but this is completely not true! if you put a large amount of thermal paste on the heatsink you will actuall have hotter temps.

this is due to either:

A ) the heatsink is not geting enough connectivity to the GPU as the layer of thermal paste is too thick

B ) too much of it creates small pockets of air, these air pockets become super hot and that causes more heat on the GPU

the correct amount is roughly the size of a pea

ThermalCompoundApplied.png

even that is boarderline too much.

Dont spread it around instead place your heat sink over it as even as possible and screw it down in a pattern for an even spread.

really hope this helps you and good luck!

Continue discussion in original thread here.

Report Article

User Feedback

There are no comments to display.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Already have an account? Sign in here.

• Similar Content

• By newbinkin77
      Hi guys.

As with the title, is there any way to get a m17x r3 to use UEFI or is this just a pipe dream? I read over the internet that this requires Dell company itself to refactor the BIOS and release it to the public. Well if that's the case many believe it would be easier to land a man on Mars then to get Dell's help on this issue. Does the hardware itself plays a roll in updating to UEFI ? Well if the motherboard itself doesn't support UEFI and its more of a hardware limitation rather than a software, please let me know and I'll let this dream go, once and for all. Well if not, does anyone else knows of any other way to get a m17x r3 to UEFI-capable ? Imagine fast-booting into win10 and more importantly, a chance to get a 980M working in a m17x r3. (from my understanding 880M is as far as the m17x r3 can go as the 980M requires UEFI-capabilities)

I know my laptop is approaching 7 years old and by now most m17xr3 are phrased out but i still believe there are some owners out there still kicking about with their madly modded-out r3s (like me).

Thanks for the read
    • By damobm
      Hi all. Total noob here. I just traded for a M18xR2 alienware laptop and I tried to boot a bios following
      a guide from http://techinferno.com/haven/threads/4/

I beleive i used the G74VW GTX660M bios Version 1 not knowing if it was the exact match I needed and said
      yes like a jackwagon through all of the warnings. My system rebooted to what I believe was a secondary
      GPU intel something or another which was not half as fast as the GeForce GTX 660M.

So a bit frusterated I did a little digging and found a guide to do a blind flash at
      htt://www.techinferno.com/  under the thread how to recover from a bad flash Alienware M18XR2.
      I went to Dells website and downloaded the original A03 bios M18R2A03WIN.exe and added the file to 7zip
      and found the file called QBR10EC.fd and renamed it o M18R2.hdr then placed the file on a 2.0 usb stick
      formatted fat32 (did not check the DOS box while formatting). I took out the battery put usb into esata
      port pressed end then plugged in power released end then she started to beep like the guide said it
      would. I counted around 140 beeps then just a black screen and ever onece in a while the fans would rev
      up a bit. I let it go all night like that and was still like that in the morning. Now I try to press the
      power button and nothing happens... So I am stumped and would love
      some advice please before adding another brick in the wall !

• By Henrik9979

Okay here is what's going. I have a alienware m18x r1 running an amd 8970m, I wanted to upgrade it to crossfire but I could see a 8970m was more expensive than a r9 m290x
      So I decided to buy a r9 m290x and see if I could make it work in my alienware and also run crossfire.
      Even though many shops refused to sell me one because the didn't think it would work in an alienware m18x r1 only in the r2.

Here is the whole process.

19/08/17 23:15
      No post bios showing when booting, so impossible to enter bios menu, but can boot into windows 10 with no problems.

19/08/17 23:20
      Because I haven't deleted the old AMD 8970m the r9 m290x shows as a 8970m with no problems.

19/08/17 23:34
      First performance test was a success. The r9 m290x changed p-state normally. The gpu fan start spinning normally. But because of no thermal paste, the test lasted 20 seconds because the temperature raised fast.

20/08/17 00:00
      Created a backup of the vbios version
      015.032.000.004.044450

20/08/17 00:10
      Flashed a new clevo vbios version 015.032.000.003.044465
      Caused the card to be corrupted and resulted the 8 beep code.

20/08/17 00:35
      Finally managed to flash the back and return the graphics card to its original state.

20/08/17 00:50
      Flashed a new dell vbios version 015.046.000.014.045579
      No change in behavior

20/08/17 01:07
      After trying multiple vbios with no luck I finally found one.
      Dell vbios Version 015.041.000.000.044966
      Brings back the post bios screen and I can now enter the bios menu through the r9 m290x.
      Note: This vbios reduce the cards performance from 900 mhz to 850 mhz

20/08/17 01:21
      After more testing I found one that is working with no limits.
      Clevo vbios version
      015.036.000.005.044618
      This will be the vbios I will keep at the moment.

20/08/17 01:56
      I completely uninstalled the previous driver and installed the newest driver. The graphics card is recognized as a 8970m but works normal.

21/08/17 20:15
      I have inserted my old 8970m in the secondary slot and will start testing crossfire.

21/08/17 21:45
      I have found out that the fan for the secondary fan did not spin. The is a cable that have felt out. I will fix it now.

21/08/17 22:00
      In my try to test crossfire compatibility, I installed the newest AMD driver 17.7.2 but as soon it installed the driver for the secondary card it caused black screen. Only booting the computer in safe mode brings the screen back.

21/08/17 23:02
      After many frustrating hours I finally managed to get crossfire working with the r9 m290x as the primary card and my old 8970m as the secondary.
      I have flashed the same vbios on both cards so the r9 m290x shows up I device manager as a 8970m.

I first installed AMD driver version 16.2.1

Then installed AMD driver version 16.6.1 in order to play battlefield

21/08/17 23:20
      First test run in battlefield 1

21/08/17 23:40
      Battlefield 1 is flickering bad, this can maybe be solved with a new patch or driver.
      Other games I have tried is working perfect with crossfire on.

Now what I would like to try is somehow force the r9 m290x driver to be installed and see if it will make it possible to run the latest AMD driver without getting a blackscreen.

I have tried to edit the .inf file like you would do with nvidia but no luck.
      I have also tried to figure out how to edit the device id in the vbios, but I find it too complex.

• By An0npl4y
      Hello all here at T|I, I have good news!

OK so it's a lon,g story, I'll try to make it short but I want to give as much informations as possible so it can help anyone interested about such project.

The story is how to go from this (stock 675m):

To this (MSI GTX 1070 MXM):

I used to be a gamer when I was younger, then I worked a lot and had no time to play. I came back to gaming last year, and noticed my 2012 M17X R4 was not really up to date for gaming, so it needed to be upgraded. Before you try to do the same, you must be sure you have pretty good knowledge of computer hardware and software, because you may brick your laptop or your GPU in this process, be careful!

In order to get a MSI GTX 1070 MXM fully working on a Alienware M17X R4, you need:

- unlocked BIOS
      - the 120 Hz screen
      - UEFI boot with GPT partition
      - find a MSI GTX 1070 MXM
      - dremel the chassis
      - mod the heatsink so it can fit the GPU
      - make good BIOS settings so you can boot with the new GPU
      - install driver with modded .inf
      - fix GPU throttling issue

OK, let's go for the big upgrade, step by step.

Unlocked BIOS

Eveything you need to know is here: https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/1516-m17x-r4-unlocked-bios-versions/ Thanks to svl7 for this great share!

120 Hz screen

You can find it on Ebay, for example here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/162380820165?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
      It's required because pascal GPUs need EDP mode to run. The nice thing is there is one LVDS connector in M17X R4 motherboard, even if you have a 60 Hz screen, so you can make the upgrade.
      It's pretty easy to install, but you may have no boot issue with it, like I had. This is when I had to install unlocked BIOS so I can set graphic settings which let laptop boot with the 120 Hz screen. From what I remember, required setting  was "Primary display" to PEG, see here:

GPT partition and UEFI BOOT

I had MBR partition, and since I'm using my laptop for working I didn't want to reinstall everything. I used a very nice tool to convert my system SSD parition from MBR to GPT called EASEUS Partition Master (they also provide partition and data recovery tools for years, maybe you already know this company): http://www.easeus.com/partition-manager-software/convert-mbr-to-gpt.html
      They offered a discount so is cost me around 30$ to convert without having to reinstall, which is cheap for the time and all datas it saved me.

Then, you just need to make sure your boot options are set to pure UEFI, which means Load Legacy option ROM is disabled, here in the BIOS:

I noticed it can't be disabled if you're running a GPU which vbios doesn't have UEFI compliant driver. If this is the case, you'll get the "can't detect MXM card GOP driver" error like this:

Once again, thanks to svl7 you can fix this using vbios with UEFI driver for your GPU: https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/2079-m14x-r2-m17x-r4-m18x-r2-uefi-fast-boot-secure-boot-gpu-issues-solved/ This is not what I did, I just enabled integrated graphics again (it's UEFI compliant), so I can disable Load legacy option. Then I could put the 1070 in, and boot successfully. With this option enabled, I had 8 beeps "GPU not recognized" error at boot, stuck with no POST like a loser.

GO BUY A GTX 1070 MXM

Here too, you can get headaches. It's expensive, and hard to find. I searched a lot, and I can give you a few advices. For me, you have mainly 3 choices:

- contact Lee James Wood, who is member of this forum and very serious seller: https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/profile/3501-lee-james-wood/
      You can also check his website: https://store.alezka.com/en/ and his Ebay store: http://stores.ebay.com/woodzstack666?_trksid=p2047675.l2563
      I must say I contacted him, and at one point I had no answer, so I contacted another seller. But he explained me it was because for some reason he didn't received notification from the forum so he didn't knew my message, and missed the sale. But even he was not the seller, he gave me some advices which were really helpful when I was stuck with 8 beeps no boot problem because of the Legacy mode yesterday. Thanks a lot man, maybe you missed this sale but I'm sure you'll get lot of others since you're so helpful, thanks again!

- go buy directly from China, where you can find it much cheaper. You have one chinese marketplace to rule them all: it's called taobao: https://world.taobao.com/
      Problem is if you don't speak chinese, you may have trouble just to get their chat software working, it's same kind as alibaba trade manager for those who knows. So buying from taobao is like entring an unknown area, sellers there mostly only speak chinese, some don't want to sell out of China, so it's really weird to buy from there. But prices are really interesting, for example around 3000 Yuans (410$) for a GTX 1060 MXM, and around 4900 yuans (665$) for a GTX 1070 MXM. If you're looking for a cheap pascal MXM GPU, this may feel like heaven:

-instead of trying to learn chinese, find a way to make dropship. There are lot of companies for taobao drophip, like Yoybuy for example.
      I found a russian MSI forum member whose nickname is Onside182, his name is Andrew and I made the deal with him. He knows Taobao sellers, so he dealt with that for me. He was serious and helpful too, and you can chose to contact him on russian forum: https://forum-ru.msi.com/index.php?action=profile;u=1111063 (you must be registered there to see his profile), or just contact me so I give you his email address, he'll deal for your taobao order and you can pay him with paypal.

Let's make some room inside

Yeah  know it's bad, but honestly I don't care about chassis integrity when it's time to get overkill Firestrike score. So yes, you have to dremel the chassis to make some room so the MSI GTX 1070 will fit in. First, you need to disassemble the whole laptop, so you can get the motherboard out:

You need to remove little sides on the MXM connector, so the card can fit in. Before

After:

You must get a modified MXM connector like that:

Then you also need to cut part of the chassis, here is the result:

Now, you can install the card:

MOD the GPU heatsink to improve cooling

Here you have 2 ways: keep stock heatsink, and mod it so it can fit as explained here: https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/10982-m17x-r4-gtx-1060-upgrade/#comment-155003
      Or build a custom made heatsink. This is what I did, I ordered this heatsink with the GPU: https://world.taobao.com/item/540331819333.htm?spm=a312a.7700714.0.0.ZzDuN1#detail%201%20sortie%20sur%20le%20cot%C3%A9%20ok%20et%204%C3%A8me%20stripe%20pour%20cpu%20ok
      It was designed for a MSI computer, but it can be modified for the M17X R4 since copper stripes are soldered horizontally. You need to unsolder it, and solder the copper stripes and radiator from stock heatsink instead. You also need to cut off the part which must cover the CPU heatsink, which is not useful. This way, you have a more efficient heatsink, because it was designed for pascal GPU:

Soldering heatsinks is crap, when you heat one side, you can easily unsolder the other side by mistake because all heat will be transmitted everywhere very quicly. The trick is to put side you don't want to unsolder in water, and heat the other side where you want to unsolder with a torch. But I warn you: soldering this stuff is a real nightmare.
      With my modded heatsink (which is so ugly and crappy I can't even make picture of it for now), I reached 72°C max while benchmarking, which seems to be pretty good temp. Right now writing on forum, GPU temp is at 55°c.

Spend some time finding the good BIOS settings

You'll have to try out some settings, and you may have no boot issues, black screens, and many errors. You'll feel very lonely at this time, I know. But searching forums saved me most of the time! If you're in trouble, just search and ask

You can boot? Well you still have to wait a little until it works!

Once we're here, we can boot with the GTX 1070 inside the laptop, and it appears as something like Microsoft basic display in Windows device manager. So we need to download official driver from Nvidia, extract it and mod the .inf file. I used this howto: http://null-bin.blogspot.fr/2015/08/how-to-modify-nvidia-notebook-driver.html
      There are many others, it's well documented on the web.

Lines I added are those ones:

%NVIDIA_DEV.1BE1.057B.1028% = Section408, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1BE1&SUBSYS_057B1028 and NVIDIA_DEV.1BE1.057B.1028 = "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070" Then it just installed fine after disabling Windows driver signature enforcement of course. I could even install whole Nvidia Geforce experience stuff.

The GPU POWER LIMIT throttling issue

OK so you think it's installed, now it's over, after all those countless hours searching, testing and tweaking our good old M17X R4? Of course you launch a benchmark, and now you notice another problem. GPU core frequency is good, then it goes low, then it goes high again, then low again... GPU is throttling. I went into HWinfo, and noticed GPU power consumption was going higher than 110W, then I had GPU throttle, it went down around 50W, then it went up again, and so on... I searched and found nothing. I thought it was because I only have 240W PSU and I must change for a 330W one. Then and angel appeared and said to me "Hey, man, this must be a BIOS setting related issue, just fix it". So I went in the BIOS again, and I noticed this setting called "adapter warning". I just disabled it, and now it's running fine. When checking, I can see I still have POWER LIMIT message, but it doesn't slow down GPU frequency, no throttling anymore.

This is the funny part where the 2012 laptop kicks ass to BGA craps

Yeahhhhhhhhhhhh!!! We can say we made it, the MSI GTX 1070 is working in the Alienware M17X R4:

Now, please have a look at this latest Alienware 17 R3 (BGA crap) Firestrike result: http://www.3dmark.com/fs/8941795 Yeah I know, this is serious expensive hardware we have here: a 6820HK CPU and a GTX 1070, such Alienware laptop must cost around 2500$, no? Of course, my poor old laptop cannot not beat this beast, what do you think?

Here is benchmak I just made today, with little OC, it's not optimized at all: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/19201328

Ladies and gentlemen, on the left we have my 2012 M17X R4, and on the right a brand new 17 R3: http://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/12289770/fs/8941795

To finish, before I can go at last trying to play GTA 5 at maxxed out settings, here are some links which were very useful, and can help if you want to make such mods.

MSI 1070 in Alienware ranger by loafer987: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/msi-1070-in-alienware-17-r1-ranger-success.797893/
      German Alienware forum with huge CPU and GPU heatsink mods: http://alienware-forum.de/index.php/Thread/7254-AW-17-R1-CPU-Heatsink-Pipe-Mod/
      Zotac BOX GTX 1070 MXM in Alienware 17: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/alienware-17-r5-gtx-1070-mxm-3-1b.800137/

I hope sharing all those informations helped M17X R4 owners to keep faith in this old good laptop. I'm pretty sure it can also handle a GTX 1080 by the way, if someone is willing to try (I can't be the guinea pig for the next step) it would be nice

This post has been promoted to an article
    • By Deamolitia
      Hi all new to these forums, i have been pondering for a bit about OC the gfx card in my laptop, from all the internet i can only find one person who is part of this site that claims his bios unlocks this card, anyone else used this and is it worth me paying for an elite membership to download this file ?
      Thanks Daemo