It took me quite a while to decide to jailbreak my PS3. I was concerned that the process would be difficult and that I would have to go through tons of forum posts and Youtube videos just to find the right way. As it turns out the process is quite simple and I worried for nothing.
The best thing for me about a jailbroken PS3 is the ability to store and run my legally purchased games off the internal hard drive, and not having to run to the PS3 every time I want to play a different game – that was driving me nuts! I mean, are we in the 80s and need to change game cartridges?!
The PS3 has internal HDD which can store quite a few games on it, so why not use it? Sure, Sony has piracy to think of, and this is why they left that option out, but that’s not my problem! I want to use my console for the fullest and now there’s a very simple way to achieve it.
During the process of Jailbreaking I had to download a few large files from “rapidshare and friends”, and that takes a while unless you are subscribed to those services, so to make the process easier on our readers, I compiled one big archive and hosted it on our servers for quick and easy download. It contains everything that you’ll need to go through the jailbreak successfully and quickly.
Some bad news first: If you updated your PS3 firmware above 3.55 you’re out of luck – this method will not work for you.
And please, don’t be fooled by the million and one sites out there promising you to jailbreak your PS3 on 3.56 and 3.60, those are all scams/viruses/PS3 Brickers, wait patiently and I will update you once a legit custom firmware is out.
So lets get to it!
You’ll need a FAT32 formatted USB stick and this archive (forum registration required).
The archive contains the following:
- PS3 3.55 Original Firmware (OFW) : you have to be on it in order to jailbreak
- PS3 3.55 Kmeaw Custom Firmware (CFW) : It’s considered the safest with virtually 0 chances of bricking your PS3
- multiMAN 1.17.02 – This is a Game Manager/AVCHD/BDMV player
- Rogero Manager 8.2 - Another Game Manager
- openps3ftp-v2.1 – As the name implies, that’s a ftp server for you PS3, allows you to copy stuff to and from it
- BDEMU-355KM.pkg – BD Emulator, it’s used by multiMAN but is not bundled with it’s installation
Once you have the archive downloaded and extracted on your hard drive we can start.
- First off, we need to bring our PS3 to 3.55 Original Firmware. Go to Settings -> System Settings -> System Information on your PS3 and check the System Software.
If you’re already on 3.55 skip to the next step.
If you are above it, sorry, can’t help you right now.
If you are below 3.55 we will now bring you to 3.55.
Inside the archive you downloaded enter the Original 3.55 Firmware folder, and copy the PS3 folder to your USB stick (PS3 should be the first directory). Make sure this is the only thing on it. Once it’s copied, put it in your PS3 and then go to Settings -> System Update -> Update via Storage Media and follow the prompts. After couple of minutes you should be on official 3.55 firmware. Verify it by going to Settings -> System Settings -> System Information
- Next step for us is to install Kmeaw 3.55 Custom firmware. Connect your USB Stick back to the computer, if you followed the first step delete the PS3 folder, you should be with a blank USB drive.
Copy the PS3 folder from Kmeaw 3.55 Firmware folder to your USB stick and put it in your PS3. Now go to Settings -> System Update -> Update via Storage Media and follow the prompts.
Congratulations, your PS3 is now jailbroken and can run unofficial stuff!
- Next, let’s install a backup manager. I included 2 of them in the PS3 archive, first is MultiMan, second is Rogero Manager. It’s a matter of preference which one you wish to install/use, so try both and decide.
Installing them is pretty simple, copy the corresponding PKG file to your memory stick, put in in your PS3 and head to “Install Package Files” under Games menu. The PKG file should be displayed there. Just click on it, and in a matter of seconds it should be installed.
Once either of the backup managers is installed you will be able to backup your games to the internal HDD via it’s very simple interface and play them from the HDD. Note that most games still require an original PS3 Disk inside, but it doesn’t have to be the game you’re playing.
Want to copy the game off your PS3 to extranal storage? No problem! I attached openps3ftp-v2.1.zip file, extract the PKG file and install it, as i described before, and a PS3 FTP server will appear under Network menu. Once you launch it you can use any ftp client program to browse your PS3 internal HDD and copy stuff from it/to it.
Thats it folks! Pretty simple right ? Got a question ? Feel free to visit our forum at http://forum.techinferno.com/ps3/ for further assistance.
Note : The packages i attached inside the archive are of latest versions for the time of writing this article.
I will update this article with newer versions and their mirrors as they come out.