Thanks to the iPhone Dev-Team, we now have a fully untethered jailbreak for all iOS devices minus the iPad 2.
The tethered jailbreak was already available for some time now, but today thanks to a german hacker which goes by the nickname i0n1c on twitter we have a untethered solution. i0n1c discovered the vulnerability that enables the untethered jailbreak a while ago and handed it over to the able hands of the iPhone Dev-Team.
One note before we begin – if you are relying on a unlock to use your iPhone, please do not continue, instead use the PwnageTool (Guide coming soon) to upgrade.
So, without further ado lets get to it!
latest iTunes (10.2.1)
Redsn0w 0.9.6RC9 – Windows
Redsn0w 0.9.6RC9 – Mac
IOS 4.3.1 for Iphone 4 (AT&T)
IOS 4.3.1 for Iphone 3GS
IOS 4.3.1 for IPad
IOS 4.3.1 for IPod Touch 3G
IOS 4.3.1 for IPod Touch 4G
Download Redsn0w, update iTunes and download the IOS for your device.
1. Restore/Upgrade to 4.3.1 via ITunes.
Connect your device, open iTunes, select your device, press Shift on windows or CMD on Mac and press Update.
A dialog window will open where you can select the IOS file you just downloaded.
This will update or restore your phone to 4.3.1. The difference between update and restore is that restore installs a new OS from scratch deleting all your settings apps, this is useful when you are having issues with your current IOS and want to start fresh. Update only updates the IOS and leaves all your settings intact.
2. Execute redsn0w and open the IOS 4.3.1 file that you downloaded. (Update : Please run redsn0w as administrator, then start task manager, find redsn0w process and select Change Affinity, Select CPU 1 only then proceed)
Press Next and you should see the following screen:
For the next step to function make sure that your device is plugged in to the computer and it’s OFF.
Once you are ready, press Next.
You will see the following instructions, please follow them to the letter. If you do, the jailbreaking process will start and it’ll jailbreak your phone.
3. Watch the magic happen, when it’s done your device will restart and will boot with a jailbroken 4.3.1 IOS. Enjoy
- You WILL lose all your cydia apps, either use PkgBackup or reinstall them manually
- At first boot your Cydia icon will be white, click it, let Cydia do it’s magic, and once it’s done reboot your iDevice.